Author Topic: Video card picks for video streaming  (Read 1573 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Video card picks for video streaming
« on: October 22, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »
A TBG reader recently sent along a really good question about the ideal video card upgrade for his home theater setup.

"I've been reading through your site about video cards because I think I
need to upgrade mine in order to up my video streaming capabilities. I like
to stream sports mostly, but may also update to Windows 8 or 10 in order to
use Miracast with a Roku.

I see that you recommend the Geforce 740 series for home theater PCs (I
never game and don't plan on it anytime soon). But for not much more, I
could have this 750 Ti card:  http://amzn.com/B00IDG3PRI

Is there a major difference between these two? Wasn't the 740 series
released quite a while ago and sort of outdated? Can the 750 comfortably
stream 4K video so I won't have to upgrade my card again when I upgrade my
TV down the road?

I just want a card to take over video streaming for me so my old Core2Duo and
limited RAM aren't overburdened. I'm currently running an 8600GT by the
way."

-------------------------------------

Here's our response:

"For basic 1080p streaming, you won't get any advantage from a 750 Ti over the 740. You're right that the 740 is based on old tech, but the tech hasn't changed in terms of 1080p decoding.

On the other hand, there is a major advantage to brand-new tech for 4K streaming, and that's both in the area of decoding and in the area of connectivity. If you think you might upgrade to a 4K TV in the future, you'll need HDMI 2.0, and potentially HDCP 2.2, to get anything higher than 1080p from your PC to your TV. For that reason, I'd say your two choices are either the GT 740 for today's uses, or a GTX 950 for the future. You'll see a GTX 950 is listed in the Video Card Buyer's Guide, and costs around $160.

By the way, Miracast has its own hardware requirements, specifically Intel HD video on 3rd-gen or later Core CPUs (which you don't have), or an Nvidia Maxwell GPU (meaning 750 Ti or later). For your purposes, I'd skip the 750 Ti, though. While it's much better than the GT 740 for gaming and supports Miracast, it cannot handle 4K TVs, so the GTX 950 is the better long-term solution."