Author Topic: The TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build  (Read 62566 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build
« Reply #270 on: July 17, 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
Would a 1080 TI strix fit into this desktop? :O

The Asus GTX 1080 Ti Strix is a 2.5-slot card. That will put it to close to the PSU shroud in the Phanteks Enthoo ITX case. I would instead recommend either the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC or the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC. All other GTX 1080 Ti models will be too big.

danielzhang0

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, decided on getting the 1080 TI SC Black!

danielzhang0

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2018, 04:33:46 AM »
Hi, I have all of the compenents for the PC except I swapped out the motherboard for the Z370N Wifi. I'm running into issues adding the second stick of ram as it causes the motherboard to go into an infinite reset loop. I know you have a different motherboard, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what I could do. Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
Hi, I have all of the compenents for the PC except I swapped out the motherboard for the Z370N Wifi. I'm running into issues adding the second stick of ram as it causes the motherboard to go into an infinite reset loop. I know you have a different motherboard, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what I could do. Thanks!

Very likely this is caused by the second stick not being fully inserted in the slot. If it's not completely locked down, it will cause a boot loop.

xrouge

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
After collecting the parts for the past few months, I've finally assembled them in the Core 500 over Xmas break. Thanks for the guide!
For the i7-9700k CPU cooler, I chose the beefier air one, Noctua NH-D15S. It fits in the case, leaving a tiny gap towards the rear case fan.

I wonder if there's a need for more case fans, such as one, or two on top. Some suggest placing them as out-take as well, to create negative pressure, although my intuition would be to have top ones as intake to bring in fresh air. Or maybe there's no need at all, but it seems like an addition case fan would be required for air circulation.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »
After collecting the parts for the past few months, I've finally assembled them in the Core 500 over Xmas break. Thanks for the guide!
For the i7-9700k CPU cooler, I chose the beefier air one, Noctua NH-D15S. It fits in the case, leaving a tiny gap towards the rear case fan.

I wonder if there's a need for more case fans, such as one, or two on top. Some suggest placing them as out-take as well, to create negative pressure, although my intuition would be to have top ones as intake to bring in fresh air. Or maybe there's no need at all, but it seems like an addition case fan would be required for air circulation.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, xrouge!

I'm actually surprised that the NH-D15S fits in that case - definitely pushing the capacity limits of the Core 500! In all honesty, you really don't need additional fans. The video card will exhaust a lot of air upwards, so you don't want intake fans, you want exhaust, but putting one in the front of the case will starve the CPU cooler of air. If anything, a fan above the Noctua cooler set to exhaust would be OK, but I'm not sure it will fit above the cooler.

warkis

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
THE ULTIMATE $2,000 MINI-ITX GAMING PC BUILD - JANUARY 2019

Hello, I have a question about your awesome $2,000 MINI-ITX build. It is exactly what I am looking for (for my video editing). Problem is, that I need different case.
I need to be able to build my mini-ITX with one of those cases:

Silverstone RVZ01
Silverstone RVZ01-E
Silverstone RVZ02 Raven Z
Fractal Design Node 202

There are no other cases that would fit for me (and those are the only ones with good proportions that I can get in my country, if I dont want to pay expensive shipping from US).

Is it possible to have exactly the same build as you, but with one of those cases?
Thank you very much.

Karel.

warkis

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »
Nevermind, I decided to buy the 2500 USD (January) version, since I can find every piece here in Czech Republic :). Thank you very much for everything.

xrouge

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2019, 08:26:31 PM »
I think that previous builds used an EVGA nVidia card, while the latest uses Gigabyte. Any reason for preferring one over the other?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2019, 08:39:59 PM »
I think that previous builds used an EVGA nVidia card, while the latest uses Gigabyte. Any reason for preferring one over the other?

One and only one reason: price. The Gigabyte RTX 2080 8GB is $700. The cheapest EVGA models are $780 right now. Nvidia released the RTX 2080 with a claimed MSRP of $700, but the $700 models didn't become available until this month.

If you've been paying close attention, you may have noticed that being able to switch to a $700 RTX 2080 for the $2,000 Ultimate Gaming ITX PC freed up enough room in the budget to upgrade from a 9700K to a 9900K. I guarantee you that this upgrade is far more worthwhile than buying a $780 RTX 2080.

xrouge

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 11, 2019, 02:25:23 PM »
Speaking of Gigabyte 2080, For the life of me I can’t determine the difference between 2080 Gaming and 2080 Windforce. Gigabyte site marks 2080 Gaming as ‘New’, but also has Windforce tech.
There’s also a 2080 Gaming OC, which at least I understand that it can be overclocked. It’s $10 more than 2080 Windforce.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
Speaking of Gigabyte 2080, For the life of me I can’t determine the difference between 2080 Gaming and 2080 Windforce. Gigabyte site marks 2080 Gaming as ‘New’, but also has Windforce tech.
There’s also a 2080 Gaming OC, which at least I understand that it can be overclocked. It’s $10 more than 2080 Windforce.

First thing I want to clarify is that every RTX 2080 can be overclocked - the OC models are simply factory-overclocked.

As for the Windforce vs. Gaming, it's pretty confusing from just looking at specs, but the difference is the cooler. Have a look:

Windforce:

Gaming:

The Gaming has a 2.5-slot cooler, which means it uses a thicker heatsink than the Windforce. Overall, the Gaming will be preferable if the case has room for a larger card. It will not, however, fit in the ITX build.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:38:32 PM by Ari Altman »

xrouge

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 11, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »
Interesting thing about the cooler - and now I noticed
 in the specs that H=40.24mm (Windforce) vs 50.2 (Gaming). I have a Core 500 case, so likely a 2.5 slot won’t fit. Thanks for pointing it out!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:16:27 PM by xrouge »