Author Topic: The TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build  (Read 72706 times)

johnnc

• View Profile
Re: The TBG Ultimate Gaming Mini-ITX PC Build
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2016, 06:46:01 AM »
Thank you for the replys and advice.  Really newbie question here.  Do you install the PSU with fan facing down or up?

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2016, 07:01:09 AM »
Thank you for the replys and advice.  Really newbie question here.  Do you install the PSU with fan facing down or up?

Fan down in cases like this with a bottom filtered intake vent for PSU cooling. Plus if the PSU fan were up in the Evolv ITX, it would be sucking away air that the GPU needs because it would be facing its cooling fans too. You don't want competition there!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:03:01 AM by Steve N. Mavronis »
Evolv ITX Build w/3DMark 11/Fire Strike Scores:
PCPartPicker - https://pcpartpicker.com/b/96JV3C
EVGA Mod Rigs - www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=35547

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »

Actually that's a great question, and Steve answered it precisely right.

Here's a little history on how this all came to be. For a long time, all cases were designed with power supplies at the top, with fans facing downward into the case.

Then cases were developed with bottom-mounted PSUs, with fans facing upwards. This really messed with the orientation of printed model names on the side of the PSUs, but made dangling cables less of a problem.

Then some case designers had the bright idea to separate the power supply from internal components entirely. In the above two scenarios the power supplies acted as exhaust fans for the system, which was good for the system, bad for the power supplies.

That's the idea behind all Phanteks cases. Have the power supply draw in air from outside the case, and exhaust it out the back. The power supply therefore operates in its own thermal environment.

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
Finished my first high end gaming PC build today! Everything works like a charm! No problem with the cooler fitting, lots of wiggle room around the tall RAM.

Will be gathering baseline temps and such before overclocking, etc.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
Looks fantastic! Congrats on your first high-end build!

Other than finding a cooler that would fit, did you have any other challenges readers should know about?

I'm putting together a build guide and review for the Phanteks Evolv ATX, and it's quite simply the best case I've ever worked with. Way ahead of the competition. Just about all the $2,000+ builds on TBG will be spec'd with Phanteks for the foreseeable future.

By the way, I'd be happy to put together a profile page for this system in The Gallery. I can use the photos above or any others ones you've taken. Just let me know.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:32:49 AM by Ari Altman »

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2016, 06:15:26 AM »
Looks fantastic! Congrats on your first high-end build!

Other than finding a cooler that would fit, did you have any other challenges readers should know about. I'm putting together a build guide and review for the Phanteks Evolv ATX, and it's quite simply the best case I've ever worked with. Way ahead of the competition. Just about all the $2,000+ builds on TBG will be spec'd with Phanteks for the foreseeable future.

By the way, I'd be happy to put together a profile page for this system in The Gallery. I can use the photos above or any others ones you've taken. Just let me know.

Sorry about the huge image links. I need to find a good photo sharing setup. I can't get the image upload to work in new posts here to add re-sized for forum images. This weekend I'll try to do a photo essay of my build (with better lighting) also showing the rear cable management and other details that I can point out about the build process and things I've learned. The Evolv ITX was a nice case to build in, especially for its class. I'm glad that I settled on it instead of the Fractal Nano S. My EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti Classified seems to be getting good airflow, especially with dual 140's up front with the lower fan pretty much directly blowing at it. The top drive bay tray is unpopulated just being used to lay the GPU power cables onto but leaves the upper cage frame slots open for some airflow under the PSU shroud. My heavy GPU is dead level with no sag thanks to a little DIY standoff trick I used. When I put my hand next to the front intake openings I can feel air being drawn in and it's quiet. I was half expecting whistling noise, LOL. I can also detect some slight airflow coming out the top vents. I guess there will be enough positive pressure to keep dust from being draw into any exit holes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:25:54 AM by Steve N. Mavronis »

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2016, 11:41:26 AM »
I made a PCPartPicker page for myself at https://pcpartpicker.com/b/96JV3C but check out the description I posted there about my basic build experience. Let me know what you think if you want to use something like that here if you do a build gallery or whatever for this topic. Take care and thanks for all your help! This is a nice PC build forum to be participating on.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
I made a PCPartPicker page for myself at https://pcpartpicker.com/b/96JV3C but check out the description I posted there about my basic build experience. Let me know what you think if you want to use something like that here if you do a build gallery or whatever for this topic. Take care and thanks for all your help! This is a nice PC build forum to be participating on.

Looks great! When I have some extra time I'll put together a Gallery page for this system.

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 08:13:31 AM »

Looks great! When I have some extra time I'll put together a Gallery page for this system.

I got 2 of my EVGA $20 each rebate pre-paid credit cards the other day! Still waiting for $30 more from other rebates.

I ordered the $22 BitFenix 30cm magnetic red LED strip for some added bling. I'll probably mount it in the roof along the little vent slots for effect there and into the case parts. An alternate location is along the front edge of the pull out radiator roof tray. As soon as I get it I'll take new pics with the lighting!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:15:53 AM by Steve N. Mavronis »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »

I got 2 of my EVGA $20 each rebate pre-paid credit cards the other day! Still waiting for $30 more from other rebates.

I ordered the $22 BitFenix 30cm magnetic red LED strip for some added bling. I'll probably mount it in the roof along the little vent slots for effect there and into the case parts. An alternate location is along the front edge of the pull out radiator roof tray. As soon as I get it I'll take new pics with the lighting!

Sounds good - I'll wait for the new pics before posting the Gallery profile.

And yes, EVGA is great about rebates - in fact they're one of the few companies that will still give you the option to receive a good old-fashioned check!

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
Added some PC lighting bling today with a 30cm BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Red Magnetic LED-Strip!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:01:38 AM by Steve N. Mavronis »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2016, 11:09:04 PM »
That image isn't showing up. Maybe you can post it from another location.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:26:54 AM by Ari Altman »

Steve N. Mavronis

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
That image isn't showing up. Maybe you can post it from another location.

I changed the link location. The quoted version will still be bad but the original post version should work now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:28:33 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2016, 05:29:33 AM »
Awesome! Removed quoted version, will post gallery profile soon!

By the way, in case you haven't seen it, TBG's step by step assembly guide using the Phanteks Evolv ATX case is up. In a word, best case I've ever used!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:35:54 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »
Steve - the Gallery profile of your sweet system is now live. Thanks for this great submission!