Author Topic: The TBG $1,750 Advanced Gaming / Productivity PC Build  (Read 15672 times)

nlmasters

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,750 Advanced Gaming / Productivity PC Build
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
I'm having the same issue.  My machine is not going to video.  I've taken out the video card and using the one of the motherboard.  Also took out the memory, checked, put the memory back in, checked.  I'm going to check GigaBit site soon and see what they have to say on these things  I've done this type of stuff in the past, but it was before M2 cards.  386, 486 and such.  Given it could be memory that's my bet too.  Hmm, wouldn't think it though. There memory is the best.  I did not get the same case, I changed that part.  I also don't have the monitor yet, but feel that will be needed.  That being said I will let you know what is up when this is done!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
I'm having the same issue.  My machine is not going to video.  I've taken out the video card and using the one of the motherboard.  Also took out the memory, checked, put the memory back in, checked.  I'm going to check GigaBit site soon and see what they have to say on these things  I've done this type of stuff in the past, but it was before M2 cards.  386, 486 and such.  Given it could be memory that's my bet too.  Hmm, wouldn't think it though. There memory is the best.  I did not get the same case, I changed that part.  I also don't have the monitor yet, but feel that will be needed.  That being said I will let you know what is up when this is done!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, nlmasters!

It sounds like your system is not posting. That's a more precise description for "not going to video," because it isn't necessarily a video output issue.

When you're in this situation, only five components are in play:
(1) CPU
(2) motherboard
(3) RAM
(4) power supply
(5) video card

The SSD does not matter, because it's not accessed prior to POST. And the case doesn't matter either. You mention you don't have a monitor, but I assume you have an older monitor you're testing with, because otherwise you couldn't test at all. You should list what monitor you are using and what cable you are using, because those could be causing a problem as well.

To proceed with trouble-shooting, can you list out all the components you currently have installed, as well as exactly what happens when you press the power button (e.g., fans and lights turn on and for how long).

nlmasters

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
Yes, I have a monitor.  Samsung S27B550.  The Case is a Rosewill Rise.  You can find it here: https://www.rosewill.com/product/atx-full-tower-gaming-pc-computer-case-with-blue-led-fans-eatx-support-dual-psu-support-optional-360mm-water-cooling-radiator-up-to-7-fan-support-rise-glow/

I did get 32 Gigs of Ram.  2 * 16.  That could be an issue, if that's a problem with Intel that is.  I saw that for AMD anything over 16 Gig will not work.  The rest is from your list.  It's nice to know that that cooler is so good! 

One thing, that I seemed to have miss, is the CPU part, which could be the whole thing.  But the PSU only has 8 and the board shows for 8 + 4.  Will adding the 8 be fine.  Or maybe I misplaced one of the cables! 

And thank you for such a great list.  This really does make life much easier.  This is how I built the last computer!

Nick

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
Yes, I have a monitor.  Samsung S27B550.  The Case is a Rosewill Rise.  You can find it here: https://www.rosewill.com/product/atx-full-tower-gaming-pc-computer-case-with-blue-led-fans-eatx-support-dual-psu-support-optional-360mm-water-cooling-radiator-up-to-7-fan-support-rise-glow/

I did get 32 Gigs of Ram.  2 * 16.  That could be an issue, if that's a problem with Intel that is.  I saw that for AMD anything over 16 Gig will not work.  The rest is from your list.  It's nice to know that that cooler is so good! 

One thing, that I seemed to have miss, is the CPU part, which could be the whole thing.  But the PSU only has 8 and the board shows for 8 + 4.  Will adding the 8 be fine.  Or maybe I misplaced one of the cables! 

And thank you for such a great list.  This really does make life much easier.  This is how I built the last computer!

Nick

OK, good to have more info. It looks like your monitor has HDMI inputs, so those should work with the motherboard or video card. For now, leave the video card out of the system and rely on the motherboard's HDMI port.

You are correct that the motherboard has inputs for dual CPU power connectors. It should boot with just the 8-pin connector, but the power supply specified in the build has dual 8-pin (or more precisely, 4+4-pin) connectors, so you should definitely attach them all.

Running 2x16GB RAM is not an issue with Intel, only with AMD. It still help to run just one stick when trouble-shooting, trying each slot one at a time.

nlmasters

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
All right!  Got me through!  1 ram chip at a time got it through!  Now two are installed and it's running fine!  Time to slowly rebuild the rest of it!  This is just other times when I do this.  There is typically something that comes up.  But this time I didn't have a clue!  You know your stuff!!!  Thank you very much for this!  And if anything else comes up I will return!!! After this I will look at getting the rest of the things to put this as a separate computer from the other one.  Again thanks for all the help in all of this!

Nick

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »
All right!  Got me through!  1 ram chip at a time got it through!  Now two are installed and it's running fine!  Time to slowly rebuild the rest of it!  This is just other times when I do this.  There is typically something that comes up.  But this time I didn't have a clue!  You know your stuff!!!  Thank you very much for this!  And if anything else comes up I will return!!! After this I will look at getting the rest of the things to put this as a separate computer from the other one.  Again thanks for all the help in all of this!

Nick

Glad that worked, thanks for the update.

You can support this site by using the buyer's guides to select the accessories you need, and by sending your friends here when they need new tech gear too!