Author Topic: The TBG $1,750 Advanced Gaming / Productivity PC Build  (Read 11419 times)

rwh03001

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,750 Advanced Gaming / Productivity PC Build
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 02:42:57 AM »
Ari, you are a legend!  Thanks so much for the advice.

I looked into the case dimensions, and the compact case doesn't differ all that drastically from the recommended case in the $1,750 build (it's actually taller which is where my space constraints come in), so I think I'll stick with the initial case.  From an energy conservation standpoint, is it possible to turn off the LED lighting on the Thermaltake Suppressor F31? On the topic, is my assumption correct that more fans working at lower capacity consumes less energy than fewer fans working at higher capacity?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best,

Rob
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:54:03 AM by rwh03001 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »
Ari, you are a legend!  Thanks so much for the advice.

I looked into the case dimensions, and the compact case doesn't differ all that drastically from the recommended case in the $1,750 build (it's actually taller which is where my space constraints come in), so I think I'll stick with the initial case.  From an energy conservation standpoint, is it possible to turn off the LED lighting on the Thermaltake Suppressor F31? On the topic, is my assumption correct that more fans working at lower capacity consumes less energy than fewer fans working at higher capacity?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best,

Rob

Rob, actually, the SilverStone KL06 is only 14.76" tall, while the Suppressor F31 is 19.5" tall. So it's much bigger. By the way, until yesterday, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass was the recommended case, but it has gone way up in price, while the equivalent F31 has gone down. I'm currently using a variant of the F31 in a major cooler review I'm conducting, which has reminded me how great of a case it is, so it's back in as the top case for that build. But it's big, no doubt about it.

You can't turn off lighting on fans unless the fans have either a controller box or a motherboard RGB header. The fan on the F31 Suppressor has neither. But LEDs don't use a lot of energy, far less than 1W.

In terms of energy use, yes, in theory a system with more slow fans would use less power than a system with fewer fast fans, but it would really depend on the specific RPM they're running at. The bigger difference will be noise: you can run three 140mm fans at 600RPM, for example, and they will be silent, while providing far better airflow than one 120mm fan at 1200RPM, which will be loud.

rwh03001

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
Interesting...the amazon page for the KL06B list the dimensions as 18L x 13W x 21H with the Phantek at 19.7 x 9.2 x 18.9.

Edit:  I lied, the Phantek is 19.5 x 9.5 x 20.3 inches according to the amazon specs.  Upon further review, I like this case better because the USB ports and headphone jack are at the top.  I can make it work!  It looks like I'm back to the standard $1,750 build.

Speaking of USB ports, how many USB 3 and USB 2 ports can I expect in total?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:56:03 AM by rwh03001 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »
Interesting...the amazon page for the KL06B list the dimensions as 18L x 13W x 21H with the Phantek at 19.7 x 9.2 x 18.9.

Edit:  I lied, the Phantek is 19.5 x 9.5 x 20.3 inches according to the amazon specs.  Upon further review, I like this case better because the USB ports and headphone jack are at the top.  I can make it work!  It looks like I'm back to the standard $1,750 build.

Speaking of USB ports, how many USB 3 and USB 2 ports can I expect in total?

Be careful with those Amazon specs - they are often for the shipping box!!!

You can always go straight to TBG's PC Build Comparison Page to get case dimensions  - just sort by size in the filter selection box!

Also, the Phanteks has side-mounted USB ports, not top-mounted. Perhaps you're referring to the Thermaltake F31 that replaced the Phanteks. Sorry for the confusion there.

Most cases have two USB 3.0 ports, but the F31 actually has two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports up top, which is a nice bonus. You'll also have 6 to 8 ports in the back depending on the motherboard selection.

rwh03001

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2017, 01:19:13 AM »
Thanks Ari,

I went ahead and purchased the current $1,750 build.

Much appreciated!

Rob

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
Thanks Ari,

I went ahead and purchased the current $1,750 build.

Much appreciated!

Rob

Sounds great - definitely feel free to check back in with any questions!

mrdrdad

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
Greetings. I am an elder gamer and love new technology and gadgets. I have been following TGB builds for over a year and am getting ready to dive in to build my first machine. I really like the $1750 build. I am not sure if it is overkill for what I think I need. I want a machine to primarily play computer games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Call of Duty: WWII, Shadows of Mordor, Battlefield 1, Battlefront. Also possibility for a VR capability like the HTC Vive. Resolution wise for a monitor I would like to start at 1440P 27 (Would really like to go 35 wide curved screen). Other uses of the machine Is basic office work, categorizing photo album, digitizing old Photos, 35 mm slides and VHS tapes.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'       Isaac Asimov

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Greetings. I am an elder gamer and love new technology and gadgets. I have been following TGB builds for over a year and am getting ready to dive in to build my first machine. I really like the $1750 build. I am not sure if it is overkill for what I think I need. I want a machine to primarily play computer games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Call of Duty: WWII, Shadows of Mordor, Battlefield 1, Battlefront. Also possibility for a VR capability like the HTC Vive. Resolution wise for a monitor I would like to start at 1440P 27 (Would really like to go 35 wide curved screen). Other uses of the machine Is basic office work, categorizing photo album, digitizing old Photos, 35 mm slides and VHS tapes.

Hey there, mrdrdad, and welcome to the TBG Forum!

OK, so for your gaming needs, the $1,750 is most definitely not overkill. You're talking about new games at a very high resolution, so the Gigabyte GTX 1080 currently spec'd in this guide is a really good starting point.

Now, in terms of digitizing photos and converting VHS tapes, well, you could probably do that on an ancient PC! I've actually done my fair share of converting VHS tapes, and it unfortunately has to run in real-time, which is to say very slow. It won't put an ounce of strain on any modern CPU.

RemixEdition

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
First time posting here but I have been following the builds on this page for a while. Just pulled the trigger the other day and bought all of the components from the $1750 advanced gaming build and just got all of the components in. I wanted to looked back over it but I can not find any builds with the components I ordered. I even looked into the archives and I know I used the most recent build so it is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. The case I purchased was Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid-Tower with 3 RGB Fans Tempered Glass Side Panel & External Cases (MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02). I do not see any build that used this case but I can guarantee I did not deviate from the build guide as this is my first ever build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
First time posting here but I have been following the builds on this page for a while. Just pulled the trigger the other day and bought all of the components from the $1750 advanced gaming build and just got all of the components in. I wanted to looked back over it but I can not find any builds with the components I ordered. I even looked into the archives and I know I used the most recent build so it is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated. The case I purchased was Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid-Tower with 3 RGB Fans Tempered Glass Side Panel & External Cases (MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02). I do not see any build that used this case but I can guarantee I did not deviate from the build guide as this is my first ever build.

Welcome remix!

You're not imagining things. A special December build w created for Black Friday, but a lot of the parts sold out, so it's no longer being featured.

For help building your pc, the high end assembly guide will set you on course. It's not identical, but the general rules still apply.

LordDarling

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »
Hello!

I like this build and am considering trying it.  I have a couple questions.

I would like to also include a large (3tb) serial ata hard drive so I have plenty of room, but I'm a little nervous about how to actually set it up correctly since it would be a deviation from the guide (also curious about recommendations).  My friend has always helped me build PCs in the past, but he's living overseas now, so he won't be available.  This means I know roughly how things fit together, but am not sure on all the details (hence why I was going to follow your guide)

Also, have you ever considered making videos of your builds?  I'd love to see them.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »
Hello!

I like this build and am considering trying it.  I have a couple questions.

I would like to also include a large (3tb) serial ata hard drive so I have plenty of room, but I'm a little nervous about how to actually set it up correctly since it would be a deviation from the guide (also curious about recommendations).  My friend has always helped me build PCs in the past, but he's living overseas now, so he won't be available.  This means I know roughly how things fit together, but am not sure on all the details (hence why I was going to follow your guide)

Also, have you ever considered making videos of your builds?  I'd love to see them.

Welcome to the Forum, LordDarling!

You won't have any issue building this system. It's quite straightforward, and adding a hard drive is very easy. I'd suggest you look at 4TB drives, as they offer slightly better value at this point, specifically the WD Blue 4TB. Just don't use a hard drives for applications. The performance just isn't good enough, regardless of how much you spend on the hard drive.

The Tech Buyer's Guru does have a YouTube channel, although it's mainly used for product reviews and trade show coverage. There are a handful of how-to videos on the channel, but as it happens, we'll be filming a high-end PC assembly video in a few months, so if you haven't built your system by then, you may be able to get some guidance from it.

LordDarling

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome!  And thanks for the advice!  How does having two drives work now days?  I feel fairly confident installing both an SSD and serial ata (mechanically speaking), but do you have to designate one as the primary, or master/slave like the old days?  Or is it something as simple as installing both correctly and picking which drive is the primary boot device in bios?

One more question - I never overclock, so in the past I've used the heatsink that comes with the processor.  I believe last time it already had thermal paste on it (which alleviates the worry for me of using too much or too little).  If I don't plan to overclock, can I used the default intel heatsink that comes with the processor and skip the after market one?  (assuming intel processors still come with stock heatsinks)

Thanks!  Super excited to try this build.  My brother and I are thinking of both building our own pcs using this build!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 10:45:44 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome!  And thanks for the advice!  How does having two drives work now days?  I feel fairly confident installing both an SSD and serial ata (mechanically speaking), but do you have to designate one as the primary, or master/slave like the old days?  Or is it something as simple as installing both correctly and picking which drive is the primary boot device in bios?

One more question - I never overclock, so in the past I've used the heatsink that comes with the processor.  I believe last time it already had thermal paste on it (which alleviates the worry for me of using too much or too little).  If I don't plan to overclock, can I used the default intel heatsink that comes with the processor and skip the after market one?  (assuming intel processors still come with stock heatsinks)

Thanks!  Super excited to try this build.  My brother and I are thinking of both building our own pcs using this build!

There are a couple of reasons I'd strongly encourage you to pick up the Noctua NH-U14S recommended in the guide:

(1) The Noctua NH-U14S is one of the quietest, most effective coolers ever designed
(2) The stock Intel cooler is terribly loud
(3) The stock Intel cooler can't cool a 9700K
(4) And most importantly, the stock Intel cooler doesn't even come with the 9700K!!!!

So yes, you do need to buy a cooler, and no, you don't need to be worried about applying the thermal paste, because Noctua supplies a very easy-to-use application tool, with which you just squeeze a pea-sized drop on the center of the CPU's heatspreader.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 07:55:39 AM »

I forgot to answer your question on hard drives. It's actually very easy to use dual drives. Upon the Windows 10 installation, you'll have a choice to install the OS on any of the drives in your system. Make sure to select the SSD, and then the installer will do the rest, including setting the boot drive in the UEFI BIOS. Note that in the Windows 10 "System/Storage" control panel, you can set default drives for things like app installations (which should be the SSD) and where you store documents, music, videos, etc., which may well be the hard drive.