Author Topic: The TBG Laptop Buyer's Guide  (Read 20791 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Laptop Buyer's Guide
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
I know you recommended the Gram a while back when I was asking about a laptop, but what I need to do is replace an ipad I use for showing photos.  I'm hesitant to replace it with another ipad because I really don't like them, but I can't think of anything where I'm gonna have a screen looking that nice for a similar amount of money.  Was trying to find a 2:1 type windows pad, any suggestions?

I'm going to update the Laptop Buyer's Guide tomorrow. I may have suggestions for you at that point. Do you have a budget in mind? Around the same price as an iPad?

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
Yea I'm thinking I'm gonna end up with another ipad.  I can get a new refurb for under 400, I'm pretty sure there's nothing close to that for the price.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
Yea I'm thinking I'm gonna end up with another ipad.  I can get a new refurb for under 400, I'm pretty sure there's nothing close to that for the price.

You can't get a new laptop at that price with decent specs (i.e., an actual SSD), but you can come close if you're serious about shopping refurbished. This Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 would offer a whole lot more functionality than an iPad. Alternatively, if you don't need that much processing power, you can go with the Surface Go at around $450. It's limited to Microsoft 10 S, I believe, so you can only use apps from the Microsoft app store.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »
I just don't know about that screen.  Ipads make photos look incredible, it's definitely good for business.  I'd love the option of having a real copy of lightroom on it for syncing and finding photos, using the mobile version is clunky at times. However I'm usually prepared before hand so this would just be nice when someone asks for photos of (whatever) on the spot and being able to do a quick edit while out.  Also at times I find myself lugging the laptop along as well, It be nice to take one thing.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »
I just don't know about that screen.  Ipads make photos look incredible, it's definitely good for business.  I'd love the option of having a real copy of lightroom on it for syncing and finding photos, using the mobile version is clunky at times. However I'm usually prepared before hand so this would just be nice when someone asks for photos of (whatever) on the spot and being able to do a quick edit while out.  Also at times I find myself lugging the laptop along as well, It be nice to take one thing.

Understood. I think you'd need to spend more to get a really nice screen. But comparing a $400 refurb iPad to a high-powered 2-in-1 is sort of apples to oranges. If you regularly bring the laptop along too, it sounds like you could use a device that replaces both. Then you're talking about something like the Microsoft 13.5" Surface Book 2. You're getting a lot for your money at $1,300, including a 3000x2000 screen that can surely rival an iPad, plus a detachable design when you really just want to flip through your photo presentations.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
Thoughts on this?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-13-7000-2-in-1-black-edition-laptop/spd/inspiron-13-7386-2-in-1-be-laptop/dncwro006h

I can get it on Adorama with no tax.  Was really interested in the LG 14 2-1 but that 1080 screen and that price.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »
Specs are very good for the price (4K, Core i7, 16GB, 512GB NVMe), and the 3.1 weight is decent, but Inspiron is Dell's down-market series, and there's always some cost-cutting involved. The build quality, noise levels, battery life, and materials are all likely to be mediocre. So it's a tradeoff. What you've got to ask yourself is whether you need that much SSD space, RAM, and processor power, and whether you're willing to give up everything else that makes a laptop great.

For that money, I'd get a premium 2-in1 laptop with lesser specs, like the Microsoft Surface Book 2 I previously linked to. If you want it tax-free, you can get it from B&H Photo Video.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »
B&H charges us tax now :(  I thought about a surface book but there's no way to access them for user service, that really turns me off.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »
B&H charges us tax now :(  I thought about a surface book but there's no way to access them for user service, that really turns me off.

Understood. To a certain extent, this is a result of minimizing thickness. Adding hatches and ports adds bulk. Another tradeoff - there will always be something!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2019, 09:42:23 PM »
Yea I'm surprised this segment hasn't seen more development.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »
I ended up getting another ipad.  Honestly I think this puts me in a better situation because trying to find a compromise between something I felt comfortable passing around to clients and also using as an on the go pc was nigh impossible.  This way I can focus on just getting a smaller pc strictly for editing photos on the go without worrying about gimmicky touchscreens and 2in1 features.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
I ended up getting another ipad.  Honestly I think this puts me in a better situation because trying to find a compromise between something I felt comfortable passing around to clients and also using as an on the go pc was nigh impossible.  This way I can focus on just getting a smaller pc strictly for editing photos on the go without worrying about gimmicky touchscreens and 2in1 features.

Given your usage scenario, this makes sense. People are very comfortable and familiar with the use of iPads as terminals in a business environment. Better to be passed around than a laptop.

With that said, I still think a great laptop for yout would be the LG Gram, and you could save money going with the 2019 non touch version.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
Do you think it's better to buy a laptops cheaper version with less ram and a HDD then upgrade those components on your own.  It seems like those are the two things that have always been grossly inflated.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »
Do you think it's better to buy a laptops cheaper version with less ram and a HDD then upgrade those components on your own.  It seems like those are the two things that have always been grossly inflated.

That used to be true. But with ultra-thin laptops, that is no longer my advice. I have an LG Gram, and I've reviewed the installation instructions for RAM, and based on that, I've decided NOT to upgrade. You have to take some pretty rough tools to a laptop to pry it open today, and I'd rather not risk it. You can take a look at this YouTube video to show you what's involved. My concern is always getting everything back in place and having it look factory fresh rather than scuffed up and askew.

Your choice though - it probably is a bit more cost effective to do it yourself.