Author Topic: The TBG Laptop Buyer's Guide  (Read 14169 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Laptop Buyer's Guide
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »
While I'm upgrading my tech, my gf and I's 2011 macbooks have been seriously turning into paperweights lately. Time to upgrade those too.

I'm looking at the LG Gram for her and the Razer Stealth for me. Think these will see some sales on BF/CM?

Both of those are excellent picks, and I do think they could see some BF discounts. My best guess is that the LG Gram will drop $100, while the Razer Stealth may drop $150-$200, but that's harder to predict. Razer tightly controls prices on its products and sells most of its laptops direct, so it may choose just a couple of models to discount.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 12:56:49 PM »
FYI, the LG Gram Black Friday deals are already starting to show up.

BuyDig has the LG Gram 13Z980-U.AAW5U1 on sale for $897 using coupon "LITE" - exp 11/25. That's $200 off the regular $1,100 price, making it an an exceptional deal. Note that this particular model doesn't have a touchscreen, which the higher-end Grams do. Given past LG promotions, my guess is that if the higher-end models go on sale at all, they will also be $200 off (translating to a smaller percentage discount).

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Hm. Touchscreen is preferable. Does the Razer Stealth have touchscreen? The amazon reviews for the stealth aren't great lol...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »
Hm. Touchscreen is preferable. Does the Razer Stealth have touchscreen? The amazon reviews for the stealth aren't great lol...

Yes, the Razer Stealth has a touchscreen. Just looked at the user reviews, and I don't see any patterns that suggests there's actually something wrong with it. A lot of people complaining that it's not a gaming laptop (do your research, folks!), or that it was broken on arrival when ordered from Razer, i.e., these aren't Amazon purchasers. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
Actually having looked more into it...touchscreens seem to be meh on actual laptops (as opposed to 2-in-1 tablet/laptops) for a number of reasons.

Just wish the non touchscreen version came in a color other than white.  :-\

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 04:57:33 AM »
So I ended up getting the White LG Gram from BuyDig for my gf, and I clicked on the banner ad to buy the Razer Stealth 13 Black (wanted Gunmetal but they didn't have any listed on their website, the only one Amazon had new was way overpriced for some reason) but in the 1 TB model (which Amazon didn't have stocked)...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 07:27:32 AM »
So I ended up getting the White LG Gram from BuyDig for my gf, and I clicked on the banner ad to buy the Razer Stealth 13 Black (wanted Gunmetal but they didn't have any listed on their website, the only one Amazon had new was way overpriced for some reason) but in the 1 TB model (which Amazon didn't have stocked)...

Glad to hear it. Your GF will love the White LG Gram. She might actually really dig the color. I can confirm that the BuyDig affiliate link did work, and I truly appreciate that you used it to support the site!

The banner ads also provide some credit to the site (not as much, but obviously you tried to use the Amazon link).

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
Ari that Dell you recommended me has been running strong since day one.  However after making it my primary machine and redoing my workflow it's been tough at times.   Biggest issue is I have external drive towers and a raid that I've been running on usb 3.0 and that is just not working.  Also only having HDMI for an external monitor is tough at times.  I've been trying to decide between getting another faster laptop with more port options, or getting a cheaper laptop for travel and building another desktop.

The main reason I want to stick with another laptop is I carry this to jobs and when I travel I need a machine that can handle editing on the go and offers plenty of storage.  I don't mind the size as I usually have it in a roller with all my photo/video gear.  I was looking at getting this Alienware 17  ( https://www.dell.com ) with the 1070 and UHD screen, I'd update the ram and storage on my own. The screen would be great to show clients their photos on.  Thunderbolt 3 would make working off the drives way faster, and plenty of options if I wanted to connect a higher hz monitor for gaming. It'd be around $2500 after the upgrades but I'm wondering If I could spend that money a better way?

I already have a ton of file transferring and backing up so I'm shying away from the two computer setup to avoid exacerbating the problem.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:57:43 PM by Secret »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 02:54:04 PM »
Ari that Dell you recommended me has been running strong since day one.  However after making it my primary machine and redoing my workflow it's been tough at times.   Biggest issue is I have external drive towers and a raid that I've been running on usb 3.0 and that is just not working.  Also only having HDMI for an external monitor is tough at times.  I've been trying to decide between getting another faster laptop with more port options, or getting a cheaper laptop for travel and building another desktop.

The main reason I want to stick with another laptop is I carry this to jobs and when I travel I need a machine that can handle editing on the go and offers plenty of storage.  I don't mind the size as I usually have it in a roller with all my photo/video gear.  I was looking at getting this Alienware 17  ( https://www.dell.com ) with the 1070 and UHD screen, I'd update the ram and storage on my own. The screen would be great to show clients their photos on.  Thunderbolt 3 would make working off the drives way faster, and plenty of options if I wanted to connect a higher hz monitor for gaming. It'd be around $2500 after the upgrades but I'm wondering If I could spend that money a better way?

I already have a ton of file transferring and backing up so I'm shying away from the two computer setup to avoid exacerbating the problem.

Thanks for checking in, Secret!

I no longer recommend full-size laptops to anyone, so I can't really get behind that Alienware choice. I'd much rather see you with something thin-and-light, even if you need a 17" screen. That Alienware is a gaming laptop, first and foremost, and definitely not a travel/work PC. I think it's a little tough to have a single laptop work well for both high-end gaming and work. Just too many compromises required to put a serious GPU inside when it comes to noise and size.

I'm going to be seeing a huge number of laptops over the next few days at CES. I'll be on the lookout for something that meets your needs. If you post in the CES 2019 thread, it will help remind me to get back to you!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »

I no longer recommend full-size laptops to anyone, so I can't really get behind that Alienware choice. I'd much rather see you with something thin-and-light, even if you need a 17" screen. That Alienware is a gaming laptop, first and foremost, and definitely not a travel/work PC. I think it's a little tough to have a single laptop work well for both high-end gaming and work. Just too many compromises required to put a serious GPU inside when it comes to noise and size.

I'm going to be seeing a huge number of laptops over the next few days at CES. I'll be on the lookout for something that meets your needs. If you post in the CES 2019 thread, it will help remind me to get back to you!
The more I look into it the more I'm agreeing with you and thinking I just need to build a PC for productivity, and get something that can do quick editing on the go and have a nice screen to show clients.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »

The more I look into it the more I'm agreeing with you and thinking I just need to build a PC for productivity, and get something that can do quick editing on the go and have a nice screen to show clients.

I think the LG Gram 15 or the new Gram 17 announced here at CES will be what you want. I'll be interviewing LG on Wednesday about its new laptops and posting the coverage on Thursday, so check back soon!

And if you need help on a gaming pc build, you know where to turn for advice!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 12:09:30 AM »

Secret - this is the one you want, the new LG Gram 17, hits the scales at just 2.95 pounds despite a big 2560x1440 screen and 19 hours of battery life, reasonably-priced at $1,700.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »

Secret - this is the one you want, the new LG Gram 17, hits the scales at just 2.95 pounds despite a big 2560x1440 screen and 19 hours of battery life, reasonably-priced at $1,700.
That is a nice looking laptop with some insane battery life.  I will certainly keep an eye on that and maybe a deal will pop up somewhere.  Thanks for keeping me in mind  ;)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »

That is a nice looking laptop with some insane battery life.  I will certainly keep an eye on that and maybe a deal will pop up somewhere.  Thanks for keeping me in mind  ;)

For better or for worse, LG's promotions are pretty set in stone. A few months after release, you'll see rotating $100 discounts on each of its Gram units. The discounts is the same regardless of starting price, so the best deal is on the cheapest models. You might consider the 14" 2-in-1, which at $1,400 is a great deal, and should hit $1,300 by summer.