Author Topic: The TBG Laptop Buyer's Guide  (Read 12701 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG Laptop Buyer's Guide
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »
While I'm upgrading my tech, my gf and I's 2011 macbooks have been seriously turning into paperweights lately. Time to upgrade those too.

I'm looking at the LG Gram for her and the Razer Stealth for me. Think these will see some sales on BF/CM?

Both of those are excellent picks, and I do think they could see some BF discounts. My best guess is that the LG Gram will drop $100, while the Razer Stealth may drop $150-$200, but that's harder to predict. Razer tightly controls prices on its products and sells most of its laptops direct, so it may choose just a couple of models to discount.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 12:56:49 PM »
FYI, the LG Gram Black Friday deals are already starting to show up.

BuyDig has the LG Gram 13Z980-U.AAW5U1 on sale for $897 using coupon "LITE" - exp 11/25. That's $200 off the regular $1,100 price, making it an an exceptional deal. Note that this particular model doesn't have a touchscreen, which the higher-end Grams do. Given past LG promotions, my guess is that if the higher-end models go on sale at all, they will also be $200 off (translating to a smaller percentage discount).

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Hm. Touchscreen is preferable. Does the Razer Stealth have touchscreen? The amazon reviews for the stealth aren't great lol...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »
Hm. Touchscreen is preferable. Does the Razer Stealth have touchscreen? The amazon reviews for the stealth aren't great lol...

Yes, the Razer Stealth has a touchscreen. Just looked at the user reviews, and I don't see any patterns that suggests there's actually something wrong with it. A lot of people complaining that it's not a gaming laptop (do your research, folks!), or that it was broken on arrival when ordered from Razer, i.e., these aren't Amazon purchasers. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
Actually having looked more into it...touchscreens seem to be meh on actual laptops (as opposed to 2-in-1 tablet/laptops) for a number of reasons.

Just wish the non touchscreen version came in a color other than white.  :-\

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 04:57:33 AM »
So I ended up getting the White LG Gram from BuyDig for my gf, and I clicked on the banner ad to buy the Razer Stealth 13 Black (wanted Gunmetal but they didn't have any listed on their website, the only one Amazon had new was way overpriced for some reason) but in the 1 TB model (which Amazon didn't have stocked)...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 07:27:32 AM »
So I ended up getting the White LG Gram from BuyDig for my gf, and I clicked on the banner ad to buy the Razer Stealth 13 Black (wanted Gunmetal but they didn't have any listed on their website, the only one Amazon had new was way overpriced for some reason) but in the 1 TB model (which Amazon didn't have stocked)...

Glad to hear it. Your GF will love the White LG Gram. She might actually really dig the color. I can confirm that the BuyDig affiliate link did work, and I truly appreciate that you used it to support the site!

The banner ads also provide some credit to the site (not as much, but obviously you tried to use the Amazon link).