Author Topic: September Skylake Update?  (Read 3765 times)

Schleckbaum

• View Profile
September Skylake Update?
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
Hi-

Does anyone know if there are plans to update this build for September to incorporate new Skylake technology or is that coming a little later?

I'm in need of an HTPC, but I can live without one for a while IF there's going to be some significant new tech releases and/or some price reductions over the next couple of months as the first wave of Skylake tech is released. Frankly, I'd probably avoid the K series if I had my choice. I'm not a serious overclocker.

So, I guess my question is: is there something I should be waiting for? Am I paying a huge penalty for jumping into the new architecture at this point?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:07:02 AM by Schleckbaum »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: September Skylake Update?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
Great question, and it's something I'm following closely.

There are two issues with updating the ITX builds to Skylake. First is that ITX motherboards are always released long after ATX boards when a new chipset is introduced. So far the only ITX boards listed anywhere are at least $200 (like this EVGA Stinger model). Second is that only the overclocker-focused 6600K chip is available in the US right now. That's fine for a gaming HTPC, but it's too expensive for a standard HTPC, and has the distinct drawback of not including a heatsink. Note that Skylake also requires DDR4 memory, which is a bit more expensive.

Considering those issues, and the fact that the Skylake CPUs are only slightly faster means you're not missing out on too much right now. The integrated Intel graphics have improved with Skylake, which is the only serious advantage of it for HTPC use, and ultra high end boards may include HDMI 2.0. If you want to build a system without a separate video card, and want the latest standards, it may be worth waiting, but it could be a while.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:39:37 AM by Ari Altman »

Schleckbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
Thanks a lot Ari.

I know this may be impossible to answer but what's your guess on the optimal timeline for ITX/Skylake? 3 months,  six months? 8?

I'd like to use the new architecture and I have some time, but if it's six months plus,  I may just make the move now with the existing tech.

Thanks again.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »
It won't be quite that long. My educated guess for wide availability is 2-3 months. This has been a fairly strange rollout, however, given that only one chip is for sale and inky two have been announced, so the broader rollout could take longer.

petercli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
hello,
On newegg i saw several mini itx skylake motherboards .
I'd be interested in seeing a HTPC build using skylake.

Thanks,Peter

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »
hello,
On newegg i saw several mini itx skylake motherboards .
I'd be interested in seeing a HTPC build using skylake.

Thanks,Peter

Hi Peter - welcome to the TBG Forum!

Indeed, the Skylake motherboards have started trickling in this month. The only one on Newegg that I'd currently recommend for HTPC use is the AsRock H170-ITX/ac, or if you want to overclock, the AsRock Z170-ITX/ac. All the others are really too expensive, and overall I haven't been impressed with the price/performance equation offered by Skylake. Many features have been cut from boards at the same pricepoint as previous-gen ITX boards, such as DisplayPort and/or high-end audio. The other problem is CPU availability - the 6600K is sold out throughout the U.S. at the moment, and because it doesn't come with a heatsink, its high price makes it a difficult chip to justify for a mini system, where you might actually be happy using the 4690K's included cooler.

Once a few more options are available to choose from and availability/price improve, the TBG ITX HTPC guide will be updated with a Skylake build.