Author Topic: TBG's Complete Guide to CPU Coolers: Downdraft vs. 120mm, 140mm, and Liquid  (Read 3051 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Questions or comments on TBG's Complete Guide to CPU Coolers? Post them here!

JJAP

• View Profile
It seems that the stock cooler kept temps reasonable, while being the quietest at load. Can we conclude that except for overclocking, stock is best? I keep hearing people say that stock is noisey, but yours is the comparison I've seen.

It was also be helpful if you could include how far away your meter is (I suggest 1 meter, with your app set to dbA).

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It seems that the stock cooler kept temps reasonable, while being the quietest at load. Can we conclude that except for overclocking, stock is best? I keep hearing people say that stock is noisey, but yours is the comparison I've seen.

It was also be helpful if you could include how far away your meter is (I suggest 1 meter, with your app set to dbA).

The Intel cooler doesn't get the respect it deserves. For a stock-clocked processor, it's one of the best options out there when you consider cost ($0), ease of installation, and noise. Yes it can get a bit loud at maximum RPM, but every other cooler does as well, and many get much louder than the Intel cooler.

The sound meter was placed 6 inches in front of a closed case, at floor level. I'll update the article to note that. As for the 1m distance, you really start to lose subtle distinctions at that point, and most people are actually quite a bit closer to their PCs while using them. At 1m, most of the coolers would appear to make the same amount of noise.