Author Topic: Black Friday-Cyber Monday 2019  (Read 148 times)

Secret

• View Profile
Black Friday-Cyber Monday 2019
« on: November 28, 2019, 07:15:11 PM »
Thought it would be cool if we had a place to point out awesome cyber deals we come across.

I thought this $160 Ryzen 2700x on Amazon was really good.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:15:51 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday-Cyber Monday 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
Thought it would be cool if we had a place to point out awesome cyber deals we come across.

I thought this $160 Ryzen 2700x on Amazon was really good.

Great deal for sure!

There is a hot deals section on the site, not that anyone uses it much!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 07:48:47 AM »
Lol I didn't see it!  You can move this into there, it would make more sense.  Or just delete and I can repost.  Gotta sticky that on top Ari, and big bold font for us not so observant users!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
OK, moved.

I'll be completely honest with you - 2019 was the worst year in memory for PC deals, period. Wasn't even close to the past few years. Almost no cases on sale, only Corsair power supplies, virtually no SSDs, only AMD CPUs (not a SINGLE Intel CPU), just a handful of AMD GPUs, no Nvidia GPUs, virtually no coolers (only a couple of expensive AIOs), and just a few memory kits (again from Corsair).

The biggest price reduction I saw on a complete PC was about 7%, and that was for a very short time while a certain SSD had a coupon live. Most systems saw less than 5% price reduction off the total price. The one PC area that had huge discounts was on peripherals, as Logitech and Corsair again ran 25-40% discounts on a few select very popular products, which was great even if it wasn't brand-wide.

Here's what I believe the issue is, and I'll probably be posting a YouTube commentary about it: the PC industry simply isn't driving a lot of attention from retailers anymore, including tech-oriented stores. There's just way more interest in things like smart home, fitness, drones, etc.

And as a preview of things to come, the presence of PC component companies is going to be DRASTICALLY lower at CES this year. How do I know? Because I've sought out meeting with nearly all of them. Most are at least coming back this year unofficially off the convention strip, but I see that in the long run, CES just won't have computer-related products all. Shockingly, Intel has entirely pulled its huge showcase booth off the main convention floor. This is historically one of the shows most important exhibitors. It's really a change of the guard in terms of the leaders of modern tech.

You'll hear more about this next in January when I cover CES from the "showfloor", i.e., private hotel suites!

Sand575

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
So I know it is hard to predict the future, but with 2019 not being the greatest what do you think 2020 will bring?   In your opinion would it be better to start a new build now with Black Friday/cyber Monday sales or wait for next year sometime?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 10:29:18 PM »
So I know it is hard to predict the future, but with 2019 not being the greatest what do you think 2020 will bring?   In your opinion would it be better to start a new build now with Black Friday/cyber Monday sales or wait for next year sometime?

If you haven't purchased anything yet, definitely wait to see what Cyber Monday brings. There are typically a few extra SSD promotions on CM, so that might save you a few dollars. In terms of the future, I think the one bright spot is that AMD has changed the game in the CPU market, but at this point, the savings are factored in. It's not going to continue pushing the ball forward quite as fast in terms of price/performance. Its latest releases show that it absolutely wants to claim the premium performance crown, and that doesn't come by cutting prices, it comes by having the best products on the market.

Other component manufacturers have definitely been hurt by the tariff situation. I think that's why we're not seeing as many promotions as years past. But that has been remedied just in the past few weeks somewhat by some exclusions (mostly petitioned for by Apple). We're already seeing some price cuts in the case, cooler, and PSU markets, which were all really hurt by tariffs, although supply is still extremely tight. Next year will see more relief in those segments.

The last major components are RAM, storage, and GPUs. RAM is likely going to rise in price, honestly, because it's hit a historic low and manufacturers will cut production. SSDs aren't going to get much cheaper next year in terms of price/GB, but they are getting faster. If you're buying today, you definitely can take advantage of some sweet deals on PCIe drives - look for those on Monday. As for GPUs - it's in AMD's hands. It's already massively cratered Nvidia's premium pricing structure in the mid-range. If it can execute in the high-end, we'll see top-tier GPUs selling for $600-$700 again, as they were in 2017. Right now you can get the RTX 2080 Super for just above $700, which is certainly a great GPU, but I'd like to see 2080 Ti-class performance at that pricepoint by mid-2020, and I think it's possible.

So, given that I know you're looking at some of the $2,000 builds on the site, what I'd probably suggest if you're very concerned about value is to grab an AMD-based system, load up on RAM (32GB is so cheap right now!), get a nice 1TB PCIe SSD, and perhaps hold off on a high-end GPU until we see what AMD can deliver in January at CES. It was a big bust last year when AMD announced the Radeon VII, which even I was fooled into thinking would be as great as AMD hinted it was going to be. It wasn't. Super-pointless product release. But CEO Lisa Su is brilliant and she knows she put her name behind a junky product last year. She won't let that happen again. AMD is going to deliver or stay silent this time around, and either way you'll have your answer as to what to buy if you'd like a full-on gaming system in the next few months. You could always get something inexpensive to tide you over, like a GTX 1660 Super at $250 or RX 5700 XT at $400, both of which deliver history-beating performance per dollar.

Hope that helps! I realize my response to Secret was a bit pessimistic, but that doesn't mean you're not getting a better PC today than you would have last year. Quite the opposite in fact, but that's mostly because AMD drove value sky-high this summer!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 08:41:20 AM »
That's usually how electronics work, buy today and be outdated tomorrow.  I'm also really excited about AMDs upcoming developments.  The rumors surrounding new high end GPUs sounds promising, perhaps as you said, more so because I don't think they'll put out two disappointments in a row.  I'm also waiting patiently for a worthwhile gpu upgrade that's not astronomically priced.  The 5700xt was what I was looking for when I built mine but it came out a bit to soon for me to purchase again.  I'd like to get some ideas on a build between the $1750 and $5000 for us content folks.  I don't think I have the nerve to shell out for a threadripper build, but that 3900x is tempting.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
That's usually how electronics work, buy today and be outdated tomorrow.  I'm also really excited about AMDs upcoming developments.  The rumors surrounding new high end GPUs sounds promising, perhaps as you said, more so because I don't think they'll put out two disappointments in a row.  I'm also waiting patiently for a worthwhile gpu upgrade that's not astronomically priced.  The 5700xt was what I was looking for when I built mine but it came out a bit to soon for me to purchase again.  I'd like to get some ideas on a build between the $1750 and $5000 for us content folks.  I don't think I have the nerve to shell out for a threadripper build, but that 3900x is tempting.

Secret - I'm planning a $2500 or $3000 content creation build, probably mid-December or January. Is that the kind of price range you'd be targeting? Also going to be Small Form Factor, by the way!

But man, that $5000 Threadripper build is sweet, isn't it? It's all just window shopping for now, as the Threadrippers of course didn't arrive at retail when AMD said they would...

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:38 AM »
It seems like a missing segment, can't say I'm gonna shell out that right now, but if something really worthwhile hits the market I might budge.  I'm interested in the new AMD cards that are supposedly going to incorporate ray-tracing.  If those new threadripper prices every came down that would be amazing.  The 32gb ram limitation is noticeable at times with the 2700x, would like to be able to throw 64 or more in there without problems.

Things I'd look for would be the new usb 3.2 gen2 (or whatever it's called now), lots of m.2 room, room for 3.5in drives (there goes the small forrm factor lol).  Honestly most of us who are creating stuff for a living are not primarily relying on cloud storage.  One day I'd love to do a nas build, that would be an awesome and helpful addition and would make having a small for factor pc possible.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
It seems like a missing segment, can't say I'm gonna shell out that right now, but if something really worthwhile hits the market I might budge.  I'm interested in the new AMD cards that are supposedly going to incorporate ray-tracing.  If those new threadripper prices every came down that would be amazing.  The 32gb ram limitation is noticeable at times with the 2700x, would like to be able to throw 64 or more in there without problems.

Things I'd look for would be the new usb 3.2 gen2 (or whatever it's called now), lots of m.2 room, room for 3.5in drives (there goes the small forrm factor lol).  Honestly most of us who are creating stuff for a living are not primarily relying on cloud storage.  One day I'd love to do a nas build, that would be an awesome and helpful addition and would make having a small for factor pc possible.

Secret - it's really great to get your feedback on what you'd be looking for in a high-end content creation system. That RAM limit on the 2700X is a pain, but one thing I thought of was to use the Threadripper RAM kits. It only comes in 8x16GB (or 8x8GB) kits, so if you wanted 64GB, you'd have an extra 64GB left unused. Maybe useful in another system? I'm pretty sure Threadripper Gen 2 had the same RAM issues as the 2700X, so what Corsair has done with these (namely dropped speed to an AMD-friendly 2933 multiplier, raised CAS to 16, and likely gone with special single-rank sticks) could help.

Now, as for your dream system, I'm going to just put this out there - the system I recommend is going to be SFF, with external 3.5" storage via USB-C. I think for most creatives, getting an attractive, compact system is part of the appeal, and even if you need tons of storage, making it easily transportable likely outweighs sheer capacity limits of having a rack of 3.5" drives (which I believe is an outdated solution unless you're running an actual server). I have a Seagate 8TB drive that's no longer available, but this G-Technology 10TB model would do the trick. Remember, you get data and power over a single thin cable, making this a very sleek solution.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 07:15:31 PM »

Two updates: First, I posted a recap of Black Friday on YouTube - some good news, some disappointing news in terms of deals. You might find it entertaining!

Second, and potentially more exciting - I've rolled out the high-end portable content creation workstation. Check it out and let me know what you think! I definitely incorporated some of your ideas into it!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 08:58:08 AM »
So I think it really comes down to needing massive storage and I'm probably in the position where I need to build a separate unit for both backups and archiving.  I average about 2 TB a year of stored data. and have been really maxing out the all the enclosures I have.  Also it has to be redundantly backed up in case a drive fails.  I used to do it online but it's slow and with data breeches the way they are and lack of trust with company employees I can't afford to have sometimes sensitive material out there.  So If I was to do that I would really appreciate a small form factor because anytime I can save space it's a good day.  I know there's a lot of nas guides out there but if you have any experience or recommendations I'd happily take the advice in the future.

Secret - it's really great to get your feedback on what you'd be looking for in a high-end content creation system. That RAM limit on the 2700X is a pain, but one thing I thought of was to use the Threadripper RAM kits. It only comes in 8x16GB (or 8x8GB) kits, so if you wanted 64GB, you'd have an extra 64GB left unused. Maybe useful in another system? I'm pretty sure Threadripper Gen 2 had the same RAM issues as the 2700X, so what Corsair has done with these (namely dropped speed to an AMD-friendly 2933 multiplier, raised CAS to 16, and likely gone with special single-rank sticks) could help.

Now, as for your dream system, I'm going to just put this out there - the system I recommend is going to be SFF, with external 3.5" storage via USB-C. I think for most creatives, getting an attractive, compact system is part of the appeal, and even if you need tons of storage, making it easily transportable likely outweighs sheer capacity limits of having a rack of 3.5" drives (which I believe is an outdated solution unless you're running an actual server). I have a Seagate 8TB drive that's no longer available, but this G-Technology 10TB model would do the trick. Remember, you get data and power over a single thin cable, making this a very sleek solution.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 02:25:40 PM »
So I think it really comes down to needing massive storage and I'm probably in the position where I need to build a separate unit for both backups and archiving.  I average about 2 TB a year of stored data. and have been really maxing out the all the enclosures I have.  Also it has to be redundantly backed up in case a drive fails.  I used to do it online but it's slow and with data breeches the way they are and lack of trust with company employees I can't afford to have sometimes sensitive material out there.  So If I was to do that I would really appreciate a small form factor because anytime I can save space it's a good day.  I know there's a lot of nas guides out there but if you have any experience or recommendations I'd happily take the advice in the future.

OK, so it sounds like over the course of 4 years (about how long a PC is good for these days), you'd need 8TB worth of data storage, and you'd need it to be redundant, so that's 16TB. Yup, that's a lot of storage. You really can't do that with a modern SFF PC chassis. Going with a NAS is probably your best bet. Since these typically use proprietary hardware and software, I don't think I'll create a guide for them, but feel free to seek out other guides.

With all that said, you could absolutely take the ATX-class $1,750 Content Creation PC, bulk it up in terms of specs (like doubling up on RAM), and throw a couple of 8TB drives in there. Not as interesting as an SFF build, but definitely capable, quiet, and stylish.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
Yea but I've already got well over a decade of data lol.  If I build a nas I will definitely go with a sff just because I'll need the space.