Author Topic: New at this and trying my first build  (Read 227 times)

Shiverman45

• View Profile
New at this and trying my first build
« on: November 26, 2019, 07:31:12 AM »
hello, Everyone

I am building my first PC and it will be my office build.  I was given a budget of $650 so I obviously went with the $500 office build guide, but I changed up some pieces so I was curious if the parts I changed or added would still work for this build?

I kept the SSD, but instead went up to a 1tb
The ram I upgraded to 2x16 g sticks
I added a 2TB HDD
Added the wireless network adapter
Added a DVD drive.

I'm looking for a different case but haven't found one yet.
Again, this isn't my area of expertise so I'm looking for help with this. Any and all is greatly appreciated.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New at this and trying my first build
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 08:56:32 AM »
hello, Everyone

I am building my first PC and it will be my office build.  I was given a budget of $650 so I obviously went with the $500 office build guide, but I changed up some pieces so I was curious if the parts I changed or added would still work for this build?

I kept the SSD, but instead went up to a 1tb
The ram I upgraded to 2x16 g sticks
I added a 2TB HDD
Added the wireless network adapter
Added a DVD drive.

I'm looking for a different case but haven't found one yet.
Again, this isn't my area of expertise so I'm looking for help with this. Any and all is greatly appreciated.

Welcome, Shiverman45!

Those are some nice upgrades to your system. One thing I'd caution you about is using 2x16GB RAM sticks. Depending on the speed you purchased, they won't work with Ryzen APUs. The maximum speed I'd recommend at that density is DDR4-2666. If you used 4x8GB sticks, you could go up to DDR4-3200, like this Ballistix kit.

As for cases, I can recommend an upgraded case: the CoolerMaster NR400. It's one of the very few modern mATX cases with a DVD slot. It's also a huge upgrade from the Rosewill case in terms of quality, especially with regard to fans.

Shiverman45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 09:21:16 AM »
thanks for the reply.

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Viper-3200MHz-Performance-Memory/dp/B07N3TXFFX/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=viper+ram&qid=1574788648&s=electronics&sr=1-10

this is the Ram I went with, will these not work in this build? Do I have to go with 4x8 gig sticks instead?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:04:47 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »
thanks for the reply.

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Viper-3200MHz-Performance-Memory/dp/B07N3TXFFX/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=viper+ram&qid=1574788648&s=electronics&sr=1-10

this is the Ram I went with, will these not work in this build? Do I have to go with 4x8 gig sticks instead?

Well, Patriot's Viper Steel kits are really nice, and that's an excellent price. But I don't believe you'll ever get the system to boot at the rated speed. If they're on the way to you already, all you can really do is try them out. They may boot at default settings (DDR4-2133), but 3200 likely won't work.

Shiverman45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »
I haven't ordered any of the parts yet, I'm sorry that it made it seem like I had ordered already.  So I should go with the 4x8 then?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
I haven't ordered any of the parts yet, I'm sorry that it made it seem like I had ordered already.  So I should go with the 4x8 then?

Yes, that's what I recommend. I think it's a safer approach. I recommend the Ballistix 4x8GB 3200 kit.

With that said, if you want to take advantage of the price on Viper Steel, it may be worth a try. Just be prepared to return it.

Shiverman45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
 I am going with the 4x8 that you recommended, but now I'm curious about something else.

The wireless wifi card that you recommended for the build is nice, but I'm not really liking the antenna that will have to stick out of the case. Is there an internal wifi card that will work well for this build?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »
I am going with the 4x8 that you recommended, but now I'm curious about something else.

The wireless wifi card that you recommended for the build is nice, but I'm not really liking the antenna that will have to stick out of the case. Is there an internal wifi card that will work well for this build?

Without antennae, the WiFI card wouldn't function. They are what allow it to be so much faster than USB adapters. If you just don't want the antenna on the back of the case but would be OK with them on your desk, you can get this Asus WiFI PCIe card that has a desktop antenna array that connects via wires to the back of the PC. It also has the advantage of adding Bluetooth.