Author Topic: TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build  (Read 39928 times)

smohler

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
Re 5/2019 version: https://techbuyersguru.com/10000-supreme-dream-machine-gaming-pc-build

Thanks for all your videos and time spent putting together everything.  I have been working on the above machine and have been able to get everything to fit except the second video card.  The radiator / fan tubes are about 2cm too short to reach the front of the case.  Top of the case holds the 360mm cpu cooler and the back fan was stolen by the first gpu's radiator.  It seems potentially possible to remove the psu shield and mount the fan on the bottom of the case but the gpu instructions ask for the fan to be vertically above the gpu to function correctly.

I tried mounting the second card on the gpu display hinged metal part but the water cooling tubes come out toward the motherboard and there just wasnt enough room.  Though I admit to never having done this before so I might have not used this part correctly.

Would appreciate any wisdom you could share

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »
Re 5/2019 version: https://techbuyersguru.com/10000-supreme-dream-machine-gaming-pc-build

Thanks for all your videos and time spent putting together everything.  I have been working on the above machine and have been able to get everything to fit except the second video card.  The radiator / fan tubes are about 2cm too short to reach the front of the case.  Top of the case holds the 360mm cpu cooler and the back fan was stolen by the first gpu's radiator.  It seems potentially possible to remove the psu shield and mount the fan on the bottom of the case but the gpu instructions ask for the fan to be vertically above the gpu to function correctly.

I tried mounting the second card on the gpu display hinged metal part but the water cooling tubes come out toward the motherboard and there just wasnt enough room.  Though I admit to never having done this before so I might have not used this part correctly.

Would appreciate any wisdom you could share

Hey, smohler, welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you've gone full-on dream machine here! I do actually suggest that you mount the radiator on the bottom panel. I know manufacturers don't recommend this, but in a liquid-cooled SLI system, it's essentially required. The GPU will be fine - it's not optimal, but the lower GPU will run a lot cooler than the top one anyway, so it's cooling deficit will basically even things out.

Ideally, what you'd be able to do is mount a 360mm rad up top along with one of the GPU's 120mm rads, but that would require an even deeper case, and as you've discovered, the depth of this case is already so great that radiator hoses won't reach the front of it.

tochase

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
With the annoucement of Zen 2, should we wait to build this June 2019 version or full steam ahead?  I assume at this price point, this will be a great machine for many years?  Lastly, what are the games that are going to take advantage of a dream system such as this?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »
With the annoucement of Zen 2, should we wait to build this June 2019 version or full steam ahead?  I assume at this price point, this will be a great machine for many years?  Lastly, what are the games that are going to take advantage of a dream system such as this?

Welcome to the TBG Forum, tochase!

Ah, you have been following the news, eh? Yes, Zen 2 could very well upend the entire PC industry, but we'll have to wait for benchmarks (TBG has put in a request for a Zen 2 sample, so you may see them here early next month). In any event, rumors put the 3950X at about the level of the 9980XE, which would be quite a feat. With that said, I doubt very highly that we'll see performance that significantly exceeds the 9980XE, and it's a proven platform, so that does weigh in its favor. The other thing to consider is that the 3950X isn't going to arrive until September, so the Supreme Dream Machine actually won't be changing until then, if at all.

smohler

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
Once I activated windows 10 I was still playing around with different boosted clock rates and how I wanted to configure my hard drives.. which was apparently evil since my windows license was detached once windows assumed I had installed the OS onto another machine.  Even going through the 'recently changed my hardware' recovery process didnt allow me to reclaim the license.

Any ideas on whether it was the clock rate or the hard drives that caused the problem?

Any experience with convincing windows you are not evil, you just like playing with the bios?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
Once I activated windows 10 I was still playing around with different boosted clock rates and how I wanted to configure my hard drives.. which was apparently evil since my windows license was detached once windows assumed I had installed the OS onto another machine.  Even going through the 'recently changed my hardware' recovery process didnt allow me to reclaim the license.

Any ideas on whether it was the clock rate or the hard drives that caused the problem?

Any experience with convincing windows you are not evil, you just like playing with the bios?

Best thing to do is return to first setup and login with a microsoft account rather than local. Then the license is tied to the account and you can make all changes you want.