Author Topic: TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build  (Read 25571 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »
My discretionary savings account is once again approaching Supreme Dream Machine readiness...

What are your prognostications for the next gen CPUs and GPUs? Will we see a new CPU platform? Will Volta become a GeForce product?

I'll be ready to purchase as early as next month but want whatever is going to be the bleeding edge for 2018 so am willing to wait a few more months.

Good to hear, TekHed!

So, I'm pretty sure Volta will become a GeForce product, but it won't be in the next month. I'd anticipate a September release. And take note that even the $3,000 Titan V is only 30% faster than a GTX 1080 Ti. My guess is that we'll see something 20% faster out of Volta for around $1,000. Worth waiting for? Not really, given than you can get the same performance today with two GTX 1070 Ti cards in SLI for the same price, or much better performance with dual 1080 Ti GPUs (for around $1,900). In other words, yes, Volta will be faster, but no, it's not going to suddenly make a GTX 1080 Ti SLI system feel slow. What it will give you is 20% better performance for an extra $100 if you go Volta SLI. That is definitely better. Worth 5-6 months of waiting? Not from my point of view.

As for CPUs, the answer is no, nothing, nada, zilch. There won't be anything new coming from Intel this year. And honestly, as cool as it is to have the "best", i.e., the $2,000 7980XE, I'd recommend to you to stick with the Core i9-7960X, which is actually slightly faster in gaming. Spend the extra ~$350 on a nice keyboard/mouse set. The Logitech G703 plus PowerPlay Mat is an awesome duo, and the sweet Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Rapidfire Keyboard is on sale right now for $160.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »
The plan was to take the best of whatever card can run SLI and do that. Interesting that no CPUs are on the horizon. Someone mentioned something to me recently about Ice Lake replacing the current crown.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »
The plan was to take the best of whatever card can run SLI and do that. Interesting that no CPUs are on the horizon. Someone mentioned something to me recently about Ice Lake replacing the current crown.

You won't see Ice Lake any time soon. Likely 2020, given that Cannon Lake, which will come before it, has just been delayed until 2019.

Intel may released an 8-core version of the 8700K, but it honestly won't be anything particularly revolutionary, and I'm quite confident that will be the only Intel release of 2018. It's an AMD show this year.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:58 AM »
I don't think I want to wait that long...my backlog is already out of hand. Plus Sony is killing it with exclusives.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2018, 08:09:39 PM »
Today is the day!

Finally the next gen of GPUs is here.

I know I've been saying I'm going to build for a couple years now, but I think this is the gen of GPUs I want to jump in with. I would much rather have the inevitable liquid cooled EVGA version than the base founder's editions though...how long can we expect before we see the 3rd party licensees start coming out with the upgraded ones?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »
Today is the day!

Finally the next gen of GPUs is here.

I know I've been saying I'm going to build for a couple years now, but I think this is the gen of GPUs I want to jump in with. I would much rather have the inevitable liquid cooled EVGA version than the base founder's editions though...how long can we expect before we see the 3rd party licensees start coming out with the upgraded ones?

Check out TBG's coverage of the Turing GPUs right here.

The custom cards from board partners will not launch on Sept. 20th, that's almost guaranteed, but Nvidia will probably only force a 2-3 week delay on those. Note that they are already complete, but Nvidia wants exclusive sales for a few weeks. The liquid-cooled Hybrid from EVGA and Seahawk from MSI will likely be available along with other models, unlike with the 1080 Ti, where liquid cooled versions took months to appear. Note that there's some chance these cards will not be factory overclocked, while the Founders Edition will be. That may be Nvidia's new technique to draw more sales to its own GeForce store. The FE cards will actually be pretty good this time around, as they look to be using a cooler either developed or inspired by EVGA's iCX coolers. Too bad they'll cost so much!

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
Read your article! So SLI is or isn't possible? If not factory overclocked you can still do it manually? In any case will be good to see actual specs and benchmarks come September... :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
Read your article! So SLI is or isn't possible? If not factory overclocked you can still do it manually? In any case will be good to see actual specs and benchmarks come September... :)

SLI is possible on the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti, not on the RTX 2070. For a lot of reasons, that makes sense from Nvidia's standpoint: dual 2070s would easily beat the 2080 Ti for the same or less money, while on the other hand, most enthusiasts wouldn't choose that option. I know for a fact, as no TBG readers ever bite when the TBG PC Build guides recommend dual 1070 or dual 1070 Ti cards, even though they are excellent options. When you're spending that much money, people really want to own the prestige cards.

The catch with SLI this time around is that you won't be able to run it without an $80 NVLink connector. Last time around, while High Bandwidth SLI connectors did improve performance, you could get away with a single old SLI connector (or use the trick of dual SLI connectors as TBG proved in its Gamer's Bench testing, if you could get them). Remember, these connectors only come with motherboards, and no current motherboards have them. There's a chance they'll be included with Z390 boards being released along with the Intel Core i9-9900K processor this Fall.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
Is it just for the sake of making it proprietary? Hate when companies do that!

Guess I'll have to wait on that motherboard then...  :-\

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
Is it just for the sake of making it proprietary? Hate when companies do that!

Guess I'll have to wait on that motherboard then...  :-\

Well, SLI has always been proprietary, and perhaps in theory it didn't need to be (AMD uses the PCIe slot for Crossfire communication, for instance). But the issue here is that Nvidia already had pretty fast connection with HB SLI released with Pascal, so it's unclear if another new standard was required.