Author Topic: TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build  (Read 27212 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »
Comments or questions about TBG's Supreme Dream Machine? Post 'em here!

angel7

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Supreme Dream Machine PC Build
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
hey can you please make a guide on how to build the supreme dream machine im new to gaming computers but have all the components already

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
hey can you please make a guide on how to build the supreme dream machine im new to gaming computers but have all the components already

You can follow the new Guide to Assembling an Ultra-High-End PC, which was recently published on TBG. While it's not identical to the Supreme Dream Machine, it's very close in terms of the overall setup.

angel7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
thanks another question the two solid state drives what are the differences? and do i need both of them?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
thanks another question the two solid state drives what are the differences? and do i need both of them?

The two SSDs use totally different interfaces.

The Samsung 850 Pro is a standard SATA-based drive. It is the fastest SATA-based drive on the market, and if you only want to use one drive, this is the one to get. It is also simple to set up.

The Samsung SM951 uses the much faster PCIe interface. It is up to 4x faster than the Samsung 850 Pro. It's much more expensive per gigabyte, but it's the kind of drive that belongs in a "dream machine." That being said, setting up this drive is more complicated, and having two drives is more complicated than having one drive. If this is your first build, I would recommend getting just one drive, the 850 Pro.

angel7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
i see well I haven't started building but I have both drives already so i will be using both you mentioned that the sm951 is both complicated to setup and use how so? and how are two drives more complicated exactly?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:57:54 PM »

You can follow the new Guide to Assembling an Ultra-High-End PC, which was recently published on TBG. While it's not identical to the Supreme Dream Machine, it's very close in terms of the overall setup.

Angel7 - have a look at the guide linked to above. It will give you instructions on setting up the SM951. Basically, you can't load an OS onto it directly from the Windows DVD. You need to use a thumb drive.

Two drives are more complicated because you'll need to decide how you're going to store your data. The SM951 is the OS drive and will be the default for everything, but you will run out of space fast if you just let everything go to the SM951. I suggest using the 850 Pro to store games and documents, with the SM951 reserved for most-used applications.

By the way, Windows 10 makes it very easy to change your default drive for documents, pictures, music, and video. Once you have the system built I can help you with that if you aren't able to find the option to change it.

angel7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 06:50:38 PM »
thank you your help is much appreciated i also had another question about my monitor i bought the acer xb280hk 4k monitor since i want to game at 4k. Do you think this was a good monitor to go with? or is there something better out there i might have missed? from what i read because of the g-sync this is a good 4k monitor also if you have any other tips or info that can be useful towards gaming at 4k that would be appreciated

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »
thank you your help is much appreciated i also had another question about my monitor i bought the acer xb280hk 4k monitor since i want to game at 4k. Do you think this was a good monitor to go with? or is there something better out there i might have missed? from what i read because of the g-sync this is a good 4k monitor also if you have any other tips or info that can be useful towards gaming at 4k that would be appreciated

If you wanted to game on a 4K monitor, the XB280HK is absolutely the monitor to go with. Because running at 4K requires a huge amount of processing power, getting above 60fps is hard - this monitor will give you smooth gaming between 30fps and 60fps, where many games will run at 4K. I'll be publishing an article very soon on 4K gaming with the GTX 980 Ti SLI, which is just slightly below a Titan X SLI. In only half of the games I tested was the average above 60fps, which means for the rest, you really do need G-Sync at 4K to have it feel smooth.

angel7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
okay good by the way would it have been possible to game at 4k with a single titan? i was talking to a friend who says that his rig runs 4k with just one. From what i read it seems you need an sli setup to run 4k properly could it be done with just one though?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
okay good by the way would it have been possible to game at 4k with a single titan? i was talking to a friend who says that his rig runs 4k with just one. From what i read it seems you need an sli setup to run 4k properly could it be done with just one though?

I'll be publishing a full article on this topic next week, which you should keep an eye out for on the home page (I'll post a link here too if I remember). In short, a single Titan X will definitely be able to handle most games at 4K, but not at maximum settings. You'll need to turn a few things down, like anti-aliasing, HBAO lighting, and Nvidia Gameworks effects. Dual Titans can run any game out today at or very close to maximum settings at 4K.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »

I'll be publishing a full article on this topic next week, which you should keep an eye out for on the home page (I'll post a link here too if I remember). In short, a single Titan X will definitely be able to handle most games at 4K, but not at maximum settings. You'll need to turn a few things down, like anti-aliasing, HBAO lighting, and Nvidia Gameworks effects. Dual Titans can run any game out today at or very close to maximum settings at 4K.

Just following up to say that the 4K gaming article has gone live. Check it out for more info on how SLI performs in a wide range of gaming benchmarks.

angel7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
ok thanks hey if you had to pick would you have gone with the xb280hk or the xb270hu? for gaming

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »
ok thanks hey if you had to pick would you have gone with the xb280hk or the xb270hu? for gaming

It all comes down to your preferences and the games you play. Both the XB280HK and XB270HU are G-Sync models, so they will be very smooth in their sweet spot (30-60fps for the XB280HK, 30-144fps for the XB270HU). It takes about twice as much GPU power to run 4K, so if a particular game runs at 100fps on the XB270HU, it will hit 50fps on the XB280HK, which will still be great with G-Sync.

If you tend to play fast-twitch games, the higher refresh rate of the XB270HU is more beneficial than the higher resolution of the XB280HK. If you play RPG or strategy games, a higher resolution will benefit the game much more than high refresh rate.

angel7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
i see i think the xb280hk should suffice i plan on playing star citizen on it if i feel it will be okay. i wanted to also ask about the memory what is the difference between the dream machine builds kingston memory and the $3500 dollar builds corsair vengeance? they seem pretty much identical but the kingston memory was much more money