Author Topic: My TBG Inspired Thermaltake View 71 Build  (Read 713 times)

BillyBoy

• View Profile
My TBG Inspired Thermaltake View 71 Build
« on: November 18, 2019, 07:52:40 PM »
Hi guys..new member here from western Canada. . I came and joined here after seeing Aris perfect video on the Thermaltake build at youtube. I had built a machine before back in 2008 when a friend and I built two. Antec case, I5 processor Asus board blah blah...even survived heavy smoke damage from a fire several years back. Still running strong. Pretty decent machine at the time but my things do change.

Previous machine my friend helped me with most of the wire up so in some ways im a rookie but in other ways not. Im the guy who had to take apart everything in moms kitchen..oh my..cause i HAD to know how it worked. Same with computers. BUT..when i decided to do this crazy build with a View 71 case i said oh oh..maybe im too courageous. Went out and bought it all and then just by chance found Aris totally excellent video on the 2019 PC build at Youtube. Any tiny  things i wasnt sure of..USB hookup since they change to new version every few months it seems and also on cooler and rad install Aris video was more helpful than anything thermaltake or anyone else from the factories has online by a mile.

All thats left is to mount the Thermaltake Riing 360 pump on CPU and she is done. Im sure ill have to have the priest at the church down the road come and say Hail Marys over it before i hit the on button. Even tho it all went seamlessly..im sure ill be sweating as i fire it up. This stuff just costs too much money to mess things up so once again big thanks to Ari once again for smoothing out  any grey areas i might have had in the doing.

Cheers!!!

Heres what the build consisted of below:

Thermaltake View 71 TG version case

Thermaltake Gold ToughPower Grand  850w power supply

Asus ROG Maximus 11 Hero MBoard

Intel I9 9900 K Processor

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 mhz  - 32 GIGS

Kingston KC 2000 500 GIG M.2 Drive

Thermaltake Riing 360 All in One Pump (w/ 360 mm radiator and 3 RGB fans)

Thermaltake Pure 12    120mm ARGB fans (3 fans side of case)

Thermaltake 140mm RGB fans (2 fans in bottom of case)

Corsair HD120 RGB fans ( 3 fans on front)

Thermaltake 140mm RGB fan (1 in rear of case)

Total price to completion approx $2300  without graphics card (i still have to move one from existing setup)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:33:05 PM by BillyBoy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My TBG Inspired Thermaltake View 71 Build
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
This is awesome, Billy Bob, thanks for making the journey from YouTube over to this Forum! Here's the video series link, for anyone else interested in checking it out.

Boy, Billy Bob, you have loaded this thing up with RGB fans. Nice! Keep in mind that the Corsair HD fans don't use the standard motherboard connection, so you won't be able to sync them with the rest. But they'll look nice in the front of the case. And the Thermaltake View 71 is one of the best-looking cases on the market. Nice choice! I'm guessing you moved the two pre-installed Riing RGB fans down to the bottom, correct? Putting three 120mm fans in front does give the case a more "finished" look. In fact, Thermaltake has released some versions of the View 71 with this setup.

Anyway, report back once you try firing it up - I've got my fingers crossed for you, hopefully the Hail Marys won't be necessary!

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »
 :D Thanks ...Shall do Ari...yeah i moved the two front 140s that came with case to the bottom (for Intake) so with that and the fans on front (intake)...im trying to move as much air as possible in and then up towards the cooler at top..which is installed exact same as you did in the video(exhaust) btw.

Somehow the setup where some that i see use the front fans as exhaust (in reverse flow) didnt seem as efficient to me. Im hoping this way there wont even be a chance for residual heat to build up around the graphics card area. Its all up and out the top.

Btw..im also going to do what you did mounting the TT pump on CPU..and remove the factory paste on cold plate and replace it. Even tho everyone says the stock stuff works okay , like you i just think its too sticky / goopy to spread nice and even.  Maybe after couple hundred hours of running the computer it gets bit better and spreads out bit more but id bet its still not as nice and smooth and even like you'd like.

I just gotta say..that you are da man when it comes to knowing all the tiny ins and outs and also ALL the diff boards and etc out there now. This not easy to do..  i cant even tell you how much i learned just watching your video even tho ive been at computers since they came along. .  Hats off to you.  8)  one really good tip i can think of you gave in  video  is the USB adapter to correct the small mismatch between the two USB inputs they give you on the board. Thats the only thing left i need to buy. i would  have been scratching my head and searching a while for answer to that.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:46:25 PM by BillyBoy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
:D Thanks ...Shall do Ari...yeah i moved the two front 140s that came with case to the bottom (for Intake) so with that and the fans on front (intake)...im trying to move as much air as possible in and then up towards the cooler at top..which is installed exact same as you did in the video(exhaust) btw.

Somehow the setup where some that i see use the front fans as exhaust (in reverse flow) didnt seem as efficient to me. Im hoping this way there wont even be a chance for residual heat to build up around the graphics card area. Its all up and out the top.

Btw..im also going to do what you did mounting the TT pump on CPU..and remove the factory paste on cold plate and replace it. Even tho everyone says the stock stuff works okay , like you i just think its too sticky / goopy to spread nice and even.  Maybe after couple hundred hours of running the computer it gets bit better and spreads out bit more but id bet its still not as nice and smooth and even like you'd like.

I just gotta say..that you are da man when it comes to knowing all the tiny ins and outs and also ALL the diff boards and etc out there now. This not easy to do..  i cant even tell you how much i learned just watching your video even tho ive been at computers since they came along. .  Hats off to you.  8)  one really good tip i can think of you gave in  video  is the USB adapter to correct the small mismatch between the two USB inputs they give you on the board. Thats the only thing left i need to buy. i would  have been scratching my head and searching a while for answer to that.

I don't think you need that USB adapter for the View 71, as it doesn't have any Type-C ports. That bit of advice was specific to the Thermaltake A500, which has four Type-A ports plus a Type-C port that happens to use an old internal standard.

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 04:50:04 PM »
Gotya .. thanks for pointing it out ari. Ill have to look at that. No point in buying one if i dont need. This is so close to finished just about cant stand it.

Fairly heavy case but the trade off is anything you need to do inside it inc the initial install its so roomy that all is fairly easy to get at..wire connections etc.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:12:04 PM by BillyBoy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »
Nice! That case is going to have a ton of airflow going through it!

By the way, I editing the photo to make it a bit smaller so that it could be viewed in the forum thread - it was about 3 screens wide before!

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
Thanks ari...looks much better. Image hosting site really blew it up..

On the USB Gen 1 Gen 2 thing..looks like to have the two front panel 3.0 inputs truly at gen 2 speeds i do need the adapter. This case has a 3.1 Gen 1 connector off the cable from those two front ports....like the TT case you used in video. . Oh well..one day ill grab one maybe..not like there isnt lots of gen 2 ports on back of computer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:37:10 PM by BillyBoy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
Thanks ari...looks much better. Image hosting site really blew it up..

On the USB Gen 1 Gen 2 thing..looks like to have the two front panel 3.0 inputs truly at gen 2 speeds i do need the adapter. This case has a 3.1 Gen 1 connector off the cable from those two front ports....like the TT case you used in video. . Oh well..one day ill grab one maybe..not like there isnt lots of gen 2 ports on back of computer.

Actually, those are the standard large headers you'll see used with a Type-A connector like the ones on the View 71. The slim header you saw in the video is indeed Gen 2 speed, but the ports on the case are not, and using the adapter won't boost the speed, it's still stuck at Gen 1.

Now, with that said, SilverStone makes a very innovative product that might be interesting to you, the ECU04-E USB to PCIe adapter. It allows you to get Gen 2 speed out of the large 19-pin USB connector used for Type-A ports. As far as I know, it's the only one of its kind.

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »

Nowwww i see and now it makes sense.  So its using PCI E slot.  Have not seen it until you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:58:25 PM by BillyBoy »

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »
Just to follow up on this thread on the TT View 71 case build.

Finally got time to really complete the last bit i had to do inc mount the pump  and get fans sorted a bit more, all very easy for those who haven't tried a build of their own before, 

But there is some cable managing to do for the fans..so patience is required and bit of time.  Now ive had it up and running for couple days. Cant be more impressed with this overall and also my fan layout plan used along with the thermaltake Ring 360 pump and rad in roof of case lucked out so much better than i hoped  on the thermal side of things. Ive posted my temps below..not overclocked..this is just normal running. In Aida 64 running the stress test..with CPU jsut pumped at 100% highest my temps go are say 45 or maybe a 47.

Kudos to Thermaltake for the awesome AIO Riing 360 cooler and 360 mm radiator and for the great View 71 case and its beautiful thermal properties. Just could not ask for better no way no how!!

Normal running..not overclocked:

Sensor Properties   
Sensor Type   Nuvoton NCT6798D  (ISA A00h)
GPU Sensor Type   Diode  (ATI-Diode)
Motherboard Name   Asus Maximus XI Code / Formula / Hero
Chassis Intrusion Detected   No

Temperatures   
Motherboard   24 C  (75 F)
CPU   28 C  (82 F)
CPU Package   30 C  (86 F)
CPU IA Cores   30 C  (86 F)
CPU GT Cores   29 C  (84 F)
CPU #1 / Core #1   29 C  (84 F)
CPU #1 / Core #2   29 C  (84 F)
CPU #1 / Core #3   28 C  (82 F)
CPU #1 / Core #4   26 C  (79 F)
CPU #1 / Core #5   29 C  (84 F)
CPU #1 / Core #6   27 C  (81 F)
CPU #1 / Core #7   27 C  (81 F)
CPU #1 / Core #8   30 C  (86 F)
PCH   39 C  (102 F)
VRM   33 C  (91 F)
Temperature #1 (Motherboard)   28 C  (82 F)
GPU Diode   36 C  (97 F)
WDC WD10JMVW-11AJGS1   32 C  (90 F)

Cooling Fans   
CPU   787 RPM
Chassis #2   748 RPM
Chassis #3   726 RPM
Fan #21 (Riing+)   1489 RPM
Fan #22 (Riing+)   1457 RPM
Fan #23 (Riing+)   1461 RPM
Water Pump   1590 RPM
AIO Pump   1800 RPM
GPU   0%

When i get a bit of time ill post one or two pics of it. Id say to people who are leery of trying their own to go for it. Get your stuff and get out the motherboard manual and study the diagram of the main board and you'll quickly see that once power supply is in and CPU is installed and/or cooler youre using on it, there is very little to do hookup wise really. Couple main connectors to board for power and couple USB connections from case wiring, hookup for audio connection and also one for front panel buttons . Once we get there , there is only fans to connect for most part. Easy stuff..take your time..use a little care handling things and voila you built your very own. Then paying way too much for brand name computers off the shelf you wont have to worry about ever again. Trust me..you shall be set free. Amen brother!!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:12:53 PM by BillyBoy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 11:34:02 PM »
Wonderful post, BillyBoy! You could convince a lot of people sitting on the fence that building your own PC is the way to go!

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »
For anyone who looks at this thread and is still sitting on the fence..you will quickly see after you build your own just how silly you were not to try much earlier.

The next thing you'll do after finishing is try not to break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back for couple days;)  because you aced it . Then after that sinks in..you will also see how easily it will be to fix or change something inside it , because you know every component that went into it personally.

So not only you built your very own you'll also say good bye to  computer repair shops FOREVER because you are the "fixer" and dont need anyone at all.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
For anyone who looks at this thread and is still sitting on the fence..you will quickly see after you build your own just how silly you were not to try much earlier.

The next thing you'll do after finishing is try not to break your arm trying to pat yourself on the back for couple days;)  because you aced it . Then after that sinks in..you will also see how easily it will be to fix or change something inside it , because you know every component that went into it personally.

So not only you built your very own you'll also say good bye to  computer repair shops FOREVER because you are the "fixer" and dont need anyone at all.

Enjoying your new PC much, are you BillyBoy?!?

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Beyond expectations Ari...being over 65 now and you know..the goggles help less and less it seems but its running bulletproof. haha

After reading all over the place before i built it, how these I9s run so dang warm..in gaming mode i was seeing guys saying they have 60C, 70C and more is the norm. omg.  :-\   

But this with the 360 cooler and the fans in it..i just plain  dont see anything over mid 40s or maybe a 47C here and there in gaming mode. So  the 1/8" inch gap they have between the side glass panels and case when case is all closed up is also huge im thinkin.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:45:08 PM by BillyBoy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 05:10:46 PM »
Beyond expectations Ari...being over 65 now and you know..the goggles help less and less it seems but its running bulletproof. haha

After reading all over the place before i built it, how these I9s run so dang warm..in gaming mode i was seeing guys saying they have 60s, 70s and more is the norm. omg.  :-\   

But this with the 360 cooler and the fans in it..i just dont see anything over mid 40s or maybe a 47 here and there in gaming mode. So  the 1/8" inch gap they have between the side glass panels and case when case is all closed up is also huge im thinkin.

I saw you tried to post some images but it wasn't working - I've hosted one on the TBG server. Let me know if you have others!