Author Topic: looking to built a 2 hard drive mini PC  (Read 257 times)

Wildan18

• View Profile
looking to built a 2 hard drive mini PC
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »
Hello, new to the TBG forum. I looked at the $500 home PC  (https://techbuyersguru.com/500-home-office-mini-pc-build) and i like it but is there a mini case that can hold 2 hard drives 2.5 ?
thanks for any suggestions.

Wil

bensrichards

• View Profile
Re: looking to built a 2 hard drive mini PC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »
Hi Wil,

Ari will probably chime in too with more suggestions, but I'm pretty sure you can use the InWin Chopin case and get 2 2.5" hard drive bays.  You would lose the optical drive though with that case.  If you look back at some of the archived versions of the $500 mini home office PC, the Chopin used to be recommended as an optional upgrade.  Ari can probably shed light on why it's not listed as an optional component in the most recent update to the build.

The Antec ISK110 VESA-U3 would be another option.  Again, no optical drive.  I'm just pulling these from the archived version of these builds, so you may want to take a a look and see what's there:  https://techbuyersguru.com/500-home-officetheater-mini-pc-archive.

And, for something totally different, you could look at the AsRock Desk Mini A300, which is an STX barebones system, which means it uses a different motherboard form factor, and has some significant differences from the current ITX build (e.g., the power supply is external instead of internal, the RAM modules are SO-DIMMs as opposed to full length DIMMs.  Basically, be aware that if you go the DeskMini route, you'll need to change several component choices from the current $500 build that's up on TBG.  I'm pretty sure Ari doesn't recommend STX systems at all anymore, but I have one from a few years ago and I like it, so I thought I'd mention it.  It's tiny, cheap, and has mounts for 2 2.5" hdds.

Good luck with your build!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Wildan18, and thanks as always, Ben!

Ben is indeed a frequent contributor here, and an authority on mini systems. As he mentioned, the guide typically offers the In-Win Chopin as an alternative to the In-Win BQ656, but last week during the guide updates, the Chopin was unavailable, so it got dropped. Luckily, it's back, and you can order it right here! Honestly, that's exactly the case you want for your needs. While Antec ISK110 is nice (and I still use one myself), it's essentially out of production, which means availability is low and prices are too high. For the same price as the Chopin, it just can't compete. But Ben is right that they both have dual 2.5" bays, which is what you're looking for, as they both drop the optical drive bay to achieve that.

Wildan18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 08:50:15 AM »
Thank you Fellas.