Author Topic: Data Transfer  (Read 1293 times)

zupanj

• View Profile
Data Transfer
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »
I am putting together a new pc and it's my first try since the mid 90's.  I have received all the components except the case.  While thinking about how to put it all together I wondered how does one transfer data from the current pc to to the new one.  I thought there might be some directions and perhaps even a cable that came with the SSD drive but there is nothing but the drive.  I am sure this has been addressed many times.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Data Transfer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 05:37:22 PM »
Which SSD do you have, hard drive do you have, and what do you want to transfer?

To be honest, if you were looking to transfer (clone) an entire pre-windows 10 installation from an old hard drive to a new SSD, I can tell you right now that this would be a mistake.

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 06:08:02 AM »
Sorry I wasn't very specific here.  My current machine is a Dell XPS 8900 about three years old.  It is a pretty nice machine with the following: Intel i7-6700 3.40 GHz, 16 MB RAM, Windows 10 Pro last update Aug 2019.  The hard drive is a 1 TB standard drive.  When I bought this machine I think I used software and a cable to move data from the old machine to the new one.  The data consists of emails, pictures, Word and Excel files mostly.

I am building the new machine to be VR capable.  It will have an SX8200 Pro 1 TB SSD.  It will have Windows 10 Home edition.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 07:58:40 AM »
Sorry I wasn't very specific here.  My current machine is a Dell XPS 8900 about three years old.  It is a pretty nice machine with the following: Intel i7-6700 3.40 GHz, 16 MB RAM, Windows 10 Pro last update Aug 2019.  The hard drive is a 1 TB standard drive.  When I bought this machine I think I used software and a cable to move data from the old machine to the new one.  The data consists of emails, pictures, Word and Excel files mostly.

I am building the new machine to be VR capable.  It will have an SX8200 Pro 1 TB SSD.  It will have Windows 10 Home edition.

Got it, that's not too hard. I remember those data transfer packages, but haven't actually seen them in a while. No major manufacturer sells them anymore. That's because today, a single SanDisk 256GB USB flash drive would be enough to allow you to do that. You'll need to locate your files to drag and drop, but that shouldn't be too hard if you've been somewhat organized about saving them.

With that said, if you have the budget for it, though, I'd suggest an external SSD, specifically the Samsung T5 500GB. I have one, and it is absurdly fast (5-10x faster than a thumb drive), and would make a great backup drive. I use it as my daily backup drive (actually through my router, giving me access from my network). You'll be able to transfer all your data off your PC in just a few minutes, copy it to your new PC, and then use the drive for years. Two solutions in one.

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »
Thanks Ari, an external hard drive is a great idea.  One issue I have never been able to figure out is email.  Using Outlook I can never figure out where emails are stored nor can I figure out the file extensions.  My email  files are pretty important because they are a large part of my business documentation.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
Thanks Ari, an external hard drive is a great idea.  One issue I have never been able to figure out is email.  Using Outlook I can never figure out where emails are stored nor can I figure out the file extensions.  My email  files are pretty important because they are a large part of my business documentation.

Ha, ha, I was afraid you'd mention outlook. Its terrible data storage system, which is nearly impossible to move to new PCs, is the reason I stopped using it years ago.

You have to find the giant PST file, which could be hundreds of gigabytes if you receive or send photos regularly (and needs to be rewritten in its entirety every time you close the program). The problem is even once you copy it, Outlook is completely brainless about using the existing file on a new installation, instead insisting on using the empty new data file.

I hate outlook. So that's about all I can say to help!

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
I don't disagree.  Lately it has taken a long time to load fresh emails from gmail for reasons I don't understand.  I use three email clients so Outlook was convenient but I am about done with it myself.