Author Topic: New High End Build  (Read 303 times)

zupanj

• View Profile
Re: New High End Build
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 06:25:53 PM »
Thanks Ari,

I didn't get the SATA cable plugged into the power supply.  It should work now.  I'll check in the morning.

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
I am using the Phanteks P600S case and the case fans are working now.  The gpu fans are not running however.  Are they supposed to come on all the time or only when the card gets hot?

Finally I am trying to upload drivers from the ASUS website.  When I tried to download the utilities suite there were two items;

-USB Bios Flashback V1.03.12
-EZ Update V3.00.11

I am intimidated messing with the BIOS so should I run that or not?  I think I can separate the two downloads.

Any ideas on this?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 10:02:58 PM »
I am using the Phanteks P600S case and the case fans are working now.  The gpu fans are not running however.  Are they supposed to come on all the time or only when the card gets hot?

Finally I am trying to upload drivers from the ASUS website.  When I tried to download the utilities suite there were two items;

-USB Bios Flashback V1.03.12
-EZ Update V3.00.11

I am intimidated messing with the BIOS so should I run that or not?  I think I can separate the two downloads.

Any ideas on this?

Everything is coming along. Those GPU fans are designed to only run under load. That's a feature, not a bug. With that said, I find it annoying that they starting pulsating around 55C, which the GPU will hit at idle sometimes. So in my opinion, it's better to force a fan profile that keeps them running at minimum speed at idle so it never heats up and starts going a bit haywire. If you start hearing pulsing sounds, it's the GPU fans starting up and stopping very quickly as they dance around the temperature limit. You would then want to use something like MSI Afterburner to set a profile. But cross that bridge when you come to it.

As for the BIOS, I'd leave that alone for now. Not really worth updating the firmware on a brand new system. Maybe in a few months there will be some benefit to it. And I wouldn't use those utilities, I'd just download the BIOS file to a flash drive and then update the BIOS in the UEFI interface.

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 04:41:44 AM »
Thanks Ari,

Your help is making this a lot easier.  I would fret over the stuff I'm bringing up for hours before I got things sorted out. 

I am a bit unclear on what you said about the BIOS and utilities.  You said in your high end build video that you would download the utilities and that was why I looked at them. I figured that is where temperature information came from or is that unnecessary.

Regarding the BIOS, I am happy to leave it alone.  I don't understand what you mean when you say you would download the BIOS file to a flash drive.  Is that the installed BIOS or the BIOS update that is bundled with the utilities.  I assume there is a way to copy the files to the UEFI system.

Thanks again.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
Thanks Ari,

Your help is making this a lot easier.  I would fret over the stuff I'm bringing up for hours before I got things sorted out. 

I am a bit unclear on what you said about the BIOS and utilities.  You said in your high end build video that you would download the utilities and that was why I looked at them. I figured that is where temperature information came from or is that unnecessary.

Regarding the BIOS, I am happy to leave it alone.  I don't understand what you mean when you say you would download the BIOS file to a flash drive.  Is that the installed BIOS or the BIOS update that is bundled with the utilities.  I assume there is a way to copy the files to the UEFI system.

Thanks again.

There are a lot of files you can download from Asus, and many are very good. The Asus AI Suite is what lets you see temperatures and other functions. I wouldn't use the BIOS flash utility, though. Don't worry about that for now. Flashing the BIOS is most definitely not something you should be doing right now.