Author Topic: New High End Build  (Read 301 times)

zupanj

• View Profile
New High End Build
« on: October 03, 2019, 01:14:30 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am new here and this is my first post.  I have some experience with the inner workings of a computer but it has been decades since I had one in pieces.  I am interested in VR having played with my grandson's a bit and want to build a pretty high end machine.  Most of my computer time is spent reading and working some.  I use email extensively as well as the MS Office suites.  I am pretty sure none of this is very taxing on a pc so this will be overkill and VR oritented.

I watched Ari's videos on a high end pc build for this year and thought I would mimic that but now I'm having second thoughts.  I am an old guy and since this is a business and personal pc, I have no interest in all the whiz-bang rgb components.  This leaves me with the question of which RAM, fans and cpu cooler to choose.  Also I wonder about the best case for my use.  The Thermaltake A500 Aluminum may work but the price is way up there.  Also I am not crazy about the idea but I may need to add a CD/ROM reader since I still have some pictures on cds though perhaps I could go with an external drive.

To date I have purchased the following: Intel Core i9-9900K, the Asus ROG Z390 Maximus XI Hero and the EVGA GeForce GTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.  This is my first build from scratch by the way.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New High End Build
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 03:35:27 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am new here and this is my first post.  I have some experience with the inner workings of a computer but it has been decades since I had one in pieces.  I am interested in VR having played with my grandson's a bit and want to build a pretty high end machine.  Most of my computer time is spent reading and working some.  I use email extensively as well as the MS Office suites.  I am pretty sure none of this is very taxing on a pc so this will be overkill and VR oritented.

I watched Ari's videos on a high end pc build for this year and thought I would mimic that but now I'm having second thoughts.  I am an old guy and since this is a business and personal pc, I have no interest in all the whiz-bang rgb components.  This leaves me with the question of which RAM, fans and cpu cooler to choose.  Also I wonder about the best case for my use.  The Thermaltake A500 Aluminum may work but the price is way up there.  Also I am not crazy about the idea but I may need to add a CD/ROM reader since I still have some pictures on cds though perhaps I could go with an external drive.

To date I have purchased the following: Intel Core i9-9900K, the Asus ROG Z390 Maximus XI Hero and the EVGA GeForce GTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.  This is my first build from scratch by the way.

Welcome, zupanj!

I can definitely help you with this build. I have a few thoughts on components for you and will provide a list later today!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »

All right, I'm back with more information. First off, you have an amazing starting point for your system, and it looks a whole lot like what's in my PC assembly videos, so I happen to know you'll be very happy! I'm typing on the system right now, and it has been superb ever since I assembled it for that series of videos.

With that said, I definitely hear you regarding RGB lighting on RAM and coolers, the expensive A500 case, etc. The good news is that you can have a system that performs just as well for a much lower cost, that's easier to build too. Liquid cooling and RGB lighting add a lot of extra steps to a build. So here's what I would recommend for you as an excellent PC that will look great, run quietly, and be easy to build:

(1) CPU, Motherboard, and Video Card - already purchased
(2) RAM: Corsair 2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 - fantastic performance, excellent value, and tremendous capacity - you'll never run out of RAM! Cost: $150.
(3) SSD: XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB - you definitely want the speed of a PCIe solid-state drive in this system, but that doesn't mean you need to spend a ton. This 1TB drive offers plenty of storage capacity, and is a bargain for the performance it offers, running neck-and-neck with drives that cost $100 more. Cost: $150
(4) Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600s - this more than anything else determines how the build experience will go, and no company does a better job than Phanteks. From quality of materials to clarity of the manual to packaging of accessories, it's top-notch. You'll love it. Cost: $150
(5) Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S - now, to be clear, the Core i9-9900K is a very hot running CPU, due to its very high power consumption. So you can't just use any cooler on it. But liquid coolers are difficult to install, and actually make quite a bit of noise at idle due to their pumps. Instead I recommend my absolute favorite air cooler of all time, the NH-U14S. Installs in about 5 minutes, is virtually silent, and has the power to keep the 9900K's temperatures under control. Cost: $64
(6) Power Supply: Seasonic 850FX - it's worth paying for quality when it comes to power supplies, and while this is slightly more power than you need, the price is fantastic. Due to tariffs, the price of lower-wattage models are nearly the same, and this unit will give your system the breathing room to ensure it's never at a loss for power, and the PSU will always be in its sweet spot for efficiency (and hence noise/heat). Cost: $125
(7) Operating System: Windows 10 - don't forget you need an OS! Cost: $130

All told, these parts add up to $769. And they'll provide you an amazing PC that you'll enjoy for many years. Note that each of these components appears at least once in the TBG PC Buyer's Guides, so they aren't random - I've just pulled what I believe are the best components from less expensive builds than the one featured in the video and combined them together for you in a way that makes sense.

Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:15:38 AM by Ari Altman »

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 04:28:02 AM »
Ari,

Thanks very much for your recommendations, it is very helpful.  You are right about the components I purchased.  They came from your high end build video from early this year.  I still have a few questions.  First I want to be clear, I am not trying to save money on this build as evidenced by the stuff I bought.  However I don't want to waste it either.

Regarding  RAM is  there a difference between using 2 sticks as opposed to 4?  This is a real newbie question but I have always seen 32 GB systems as 4 sticks.

My main question is liquid cooling.  I thought I would have to use it and it appears the case you suggested will mount a radiator on top, although they caution about radiator thickness.  Was your thought about going to air cooling due  to noise or difficulty with the install?

Finally it looks like the case comes with 140 mm fans which I like.  Would it be worth replacing with the Noctua NF-A14 PWM?

Again thanks for your response and the great website you  have put together.  I have always bought my computers because it was easy but now I think building is the way to go.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
Ari,

Thanks very much for your recommendations, it is very helpful.  You are right about the components I purchased.  They came from your high end build video from early this year.  I still have a few questions.  First I want to be clear, I am not trying to save money on this build as evidenced by the stuff I bought.  However I don't want to waste it either.

Regarding  RAM is  there a difference between using 2 sticks as opposed to 4?  This is a real newbie question but I have always seen 32 GB systems as 4 sticks.

My main question is liquid cooling.  I thought I would have to use it and it appears the case you suggested will mount a radiator on top, although they caution about radiator thickness.  Was your thought about going to air cooling due  to noise or difficulty with the install?

Finally it looks like the case comes with 140 mm fans which I like.  Would it be worth replacing with the Noctua NF-A14 PWM?

Again thanks for your response and the great website you  have put together.  I have always bought my computers because it was easy but now I think building is the way to go.

The idea behind my recommendations was not to save money, it was to save you time and eliminate the RGB products that add to the cost. Each of the products in that list is top-notch. To answer your questions:

(1) RAM: You haven't seen 2 sticks for 32GB because it's just recently become available. Fewer sticks is always preferable if it's the same price, because it gives you the option of adding more in the future.

(2) Cooling: Liquid cooling is much harder to install, and it's louder too. Stick with the Noctua NH-U14S.

(3) Fans: the Phanteks fans are just as good as the Noctua fans. No need to replace them. That's one of the reasons I recommended Phanteks.

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
Thanks very much Ari.

Looks like I'm off to the races.  I am sure I will have more questions as I begin the build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »
Thanks very much Ari.

Looks like I'm off to the races.  I am sure I will have more questions as I begin the build.

Have fun, and feel free to check in with questions or to report on your successes!

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
All the parts are in and I have most of the machine put together.  I hope the cpu is OK.  I got it placed on the pins perfectly but when I began to clamp it down, the screw on the front did not grab.  I lifted the lever and plastic part up and lost control and the plastic fell on top of the cpu.  That can't be any force so I think I should be OK.  When the front of the cover caught on the screw head, it seemed to clamp properly.  However I am paranoid after watching your video.  Is there any way to check the cpu before moving forward?

I do have a question.  The fans on the phanteks case flow air from the rear and exit in front of the case.  I installed the cpu cooler vertical because I didn't want to blow hot air on the graphics card.  So the air flow is from back through the cpu cooling fins, through the fan toward the two front fans.  Does this sound OK?

I don't see a way to post a picture.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
All the parts are in and I have most of the machine put together.  I hope the cpu is OK.  I got it placed on the pins perfectly but when I began to clamp it down, the screw on the front did not grab.  I lifted the lever and plastic part up and lost control and the plastic fell on top of the cpu.  That can't be any force so I think I should be OK.  When the front of the cover caught on the screw head, it seemed to clamp properly.  However I am paranoid after watching your video.  Is there any way to check the cpu before moving forward?

I do have a question.  The fans on the phanteks case flow air from the rear and exit in front of the case.  I installed the cpu cooler vertical because I didn't want to blow hot air on the graphics card.  So the air flow is from back through the cpu cooling fins, through the fan toward the two front fans.  Does this sound OK?

I don't see a way to post a picture.

If you had the CPU in the socket when the plastic part dropped down, it will be totally fine. The heat spreader cannot be damaged, it's the pins in the socket that could have been bent if hit by the plastic (yes, even something that lightweight would bend the pins).

Now, as for the case fans, how did you determine that the fans flowed from back to front? That would be an incorrect orientation, and while it's possible that Phanteks made an error at the factory, it's unlikely. The label side is the back of the fan, and it should be facing the back mesh of the case in the rear, and should be visible when you look at the front case fans from inside the case. Your CPU cooler should not be vertical - it should blow from front to rear. Basically, all fans should be blowing in the same direction, with their labels facing the back of the chassis.

You can post a picture if you host it on a third-part website like Imgur.

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 05:18:15 PM »
My mistake.  I was looking at labels not the grilles.  All the fans are set up to move air from the front to the back of the case.  When I said the cpu cooler was vertical I meant relative to the case.  The long side is top to bottom so the fan is blowing to the rear of the case.  The rear case fan is at the same level.  It looks like I am OK so far.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
My mistake.  I was looking at labels not the grilles.  All the fans are set up to move air from the front to the back of the case.  When I said the cpu cooler was vertical I meant relative to the case.  The long side is top to bottom so the fan is blowing to the rear of the case.  The rear case fan is at the same level.  It looks like I am OK so far.

Yes, indeed, everything sounds great so far!

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Hi Ari,

I think I have everything together properly and it's time to turn the machine on.  I'm a little nervous.  It seems like most of the software installs should be automatic.  Do I need to watch out for anything in particular?

Thanks

Jack

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »
Ari,

I powered up the system and have two issues.  The first was that the Asus screen said to enter setup to ( activate?) BIOS.  Two and most importantly the fans were nor running.  I connected the fans to the fan headers immediately to the right of the cpu power inlet and it seems they should work.  Should I try another pair of fan headers?

zupanj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
Everything is up and running.  Windows is installed.  I went to Nvidia to update and it is asking for standard vs. DCH for Windows driver type.  Can't seem to find information on which driver set I need to install.  Do you know where this information can be found?

By the way the cpu fan and gpu fans are both working but the case fans are not.  Any ideas?

Finally I skipped doing anything with the BIOS.  I think the manual said if it works to leave it alone.  Should I do anything with the BIOS setup?

Lots of questions I know.

Thanks again.

Jack

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »
Everything is up and running.  Windows is installed.  I went to Nvidia to update and it is asking for standard vs. DCH for Windows driver type.  Can't seem to find information on which driver set I need to install.  Do you know where this information can be found?

By the way the cpu fan and gpu fans are both working but the case fans are not.  Any ideas?

Finally I skipped doing anything with the BIOS.  I think the manual said if it works to leave it alone.  Should I do anything with the BIOS setup?

Lots of questions I know.

Thanks again.

Jack

Glad you got it up and running. DCH drivers are a new category of drivers for OEM manufacturers. They are not for DIY builders.

You are correct in skipping everything in the BIOS for now. There may be a setting or two you can change later on, but not until you know everything is completely stable.

As for the fan, it's a good sign that the GPU and CPU fans are working. They are the most important. Did you end up getting the Phanteks P600S? That case uses a fan hub, and it's possible that the fans came pre-wired to the hub, and then you connected the hub to the motherboard. But the hub requires power via a SATA power cable coming from the power supply. My guess is that this is not plugged in. See page 14 of the P600S manual for more info: http://www.phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-EC600PSTG.pdf