Author Topic: TBG's Review of the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G APUs  (Read 418 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's Review of the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G APUs
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:24:05 PM »
Comments or questions about TBG's review of the Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G? Post them here!

bensrichards

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Review of the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G APUs
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
This line in the review is crucial IMO: "Long story short, for PC builders looking to use ultra-compact cases with 100W to 150W-class power supplies, we'd be a bit wary of the 3400G as well as any of Intel's Core chips."

In other words, putting a 3400G in an InWin Chopin is a no-go.  That really stinks.  I always thought that the Chopin was about the best looking ultra-compact mainstream case out there.  Given that it can't accommodate a discrete graphics card, it's a shame that it also can't be loaded up with the most powerful integrated graphics chip on the market right now.

-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:11:58 AM »
This line in the review is crucial IMO: "Long story short, for PC builders looking to use ultra-compact cases with 100W to 150W-class power supplies, we'd be a bit wary of the 3400G as well as any of Intel's Core chips."

In other words, putting a 3400G in an InWin Chopin is a no-go.  That really stinks.  I always thought that the Chopin was about the best looking ultra-compact mainstream case out there.  Given that it can't accommodate a discrete graphics card, it's a shame that it also can't be loaded up with the most powerful integrated graphics chip on the market right now.

-Ben

I was certainly thinking of the Chopin when I wrote that line. I believe that it can actually handle the 3400G, but the tiny internal power supply will certainly get hot and run its fan pretty loud.

By the way, because I collected this data as part of a broad CPU test including the 3600 series, I didn't use the power use test that I'd typically run for integrated graphics, which is 3DMark Fire Strike Combined, but rather a CPU-only stress test. Looking back, I regret that I didn't collect that data point, as it would show how much power the 3400G uses when both the CPU and the Vega graphics are loaded up. That's where I think you'll get pretty close to the 150W mark. Alas, I've moved on to a new review at this point, using the 3600 as the test vehicle for a number of low-profile coolers, so I really don't want to go back and install the 3400G....

...but since you're a devoted forum member, if you ask really nicely, I will! Let me know if you're interested!

bensrichards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »

-Ben

I was certainly thinking of the Chopin when I wrote that line. I believe that it can actually handle the 3400G, but the tiny internal power supply will certainly get hot and run its fan pretty loud.

By the way, because I collected this data as part of a broad CPU test including the 3600 series, I didn't use the power use test that I'd typically run for integrated graphics, which is 3DMark Fire Strike Combined, but rather a CPU-only stress test. Looking back, I regret that I didn't collect that data point, as it would show how much power the 3400G uses when both the CPU and the Vega graphics are loaded up. That's where I think you'll get pretty close to the 150W mark. Alas, I've moved on to a new review at this point, using the 3600 as the test vehicle for a number of low-profile coolers, so I really don't want to go back and install the 3400G....

...but since you're a devoted forum member, if you ask really nicely, I will! Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks for the kind offer, but you're probably better off sticking with the low profile cooler review (which, as a lover of all things SFF, and an owner of a Noctua NH-L12S, I'm looking forward to reading!).  While I like to mock up potential SFF systems for my own amusement, my next actual tinkering will almost certainly be on my FTZ01--either benchmarking the H60i (if it fits) or doing a gpu upgrade.  There's no Chopin purchase in the near future for me.  :-\

On a related note, I was psyched to see how well the Athlons did for grpahics performance.  I really had no idea.  That gives me a few more ideas about what to do with the Athlon processor I won during the last forum give away!

-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »

-Ben

Thanks for the kind offer, but you're probably better off sticking with the low profile cooler review (which, as a lover of all things SFF, and an owner of a Noctua NH-L12S, I'm looking forward to reading!).  While I like to mock up potential SFF systems for my own amusement, my next actual tinkering will almost certainly be on my FTZ01--either benchmarking the H60i (if it fits) or doing a gpu upgrade.  There's no Chopin purchase in the near future for me.  :-\

On a related note, I was psyched to see how well the Athlons did for grpahics performance.  I really had no idea.  That gives me a few more ideas about what to do with the Athlon processor I won during the last forum give away!

-Ben

The low-profile showdown of a generation is now live on YouTube!

bensrichards

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »

-Ben

-Ben

The low-profile showdown of a generation is now live on YouTube!

Awesome! I just watched the YouTube video. Congrats on finishing off the massive cooler review. Honestly Iíve been dragging my feet on swapping coolers in my FTZ01 because I donít want to deal with removing the mobo. Respect to you for doing it multiple times for this review!

Now, time for an obligatory victory dance to celebrate the NH-L12S win!  Still one of my favorite components.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 04:39:58 PM »

Awesome! I just watched the YouTube video. Congrats on finishing off the massive cooler review. Honestly Iíve been dragging my feet on swapping coolers in my FTZ01 because I donít want to deal with removing the mobo. Respect to you for doing it multiple times for this review!

Now, time for an obligatory victory dance to celebrate the NH-L12S win!  Still one of my favorite components.

Oh yeah, you know exactly what this is like. Trust me, I had to summon all of my patience and fortitude to conduct this shootout! I also tried very hard to step up the production quality with this video. That is extraordinarily important when it comes to gaining subscribers on YouTube, which is the new World Wide Web, like it or not!