Author Topic: TBG's Review of the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G APUs  (Read 42 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's Review of the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G APUs
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:24:05 PM »
Comments or questions about TBG's review of the Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G? Post them here!

bensrichards

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Review of the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G and Ryzen 5 3400G APUs
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 08:03:06 AM »
This line in the review is crucial IMO: "Long story short, for PC builders looking to use ultra-compact cases with 100W to 150W-class power supplies, we'd be a bit wary of the 3400G as well as any of Intel's Core chips."

In other words, putting a 3400G in an InWin Chopin is a no-go.  That really stinks.  I always thought that the Chopin was about the best looking ultra-compact mainstream case out there.  Given that it can't accommodate a discrete graphics card, it's a shame that it also can't be loaded up with the most powerful integrated graphics chip on the market right now.

-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:11:58 AM »
This line in the review is crucial IMO: "Long story short, for PC builders looking to use ultra-compact cases with 100W to 150W-class power supplies, we'd be a bit wary of the 3400G as well as any of Intel's Core chips."

In other words, putting a 3400G in an InWin Chopin is a no-go.  That really stinks.  I always thought that the Chopin was about the best looking ultra-compact mainstream case out there.  Given that it can't accommodate a discrete graphics card, it's a shame that it also can't be loaded up with the most powerful integrated graphics chip on the market right now.

-Ben

I was certainly thinking of the Chopin when I wrote that line. I believe that it can actually handle the 3400G, but the tiny internal power supply will certainly get hot and run its fan pretty loud.

By the way, because I collected this data as part of a broad CPU test including the 3600 series, I didn't use the power use test that I'd typically run for integrated graphics, which is 3DMark Fire Strike Combined, but rather a CPU-only stress test. Looking back, I regret that I didn't collect that data point, as it would show how much power the 3400G uses when both the CPU and the Vega graphics are loaded up. That's where I think you'll get pretty close to the 150W mark. Alas, I've moved on to a new review at this point, using the 3600 as the test vehicle for a number of low-profile coolers, so I really don't want to go back and install the 3400G....

...but since you're a devoted forum member, if you ask really nicely, I will! Let me know if you're interested!

bensrichards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »

-Ben

I was certainly thinking of the Chopin when I wrote that line. I believe that it can actually handle the 3400G, but the tiny internal power supply will certainly get hot and run its fan pretty loud.

By the way, because I collected this data as part of a broad CPU test including the 3600 series, I didn't use the power use test that I'd typically run for integrated graphics, which is 3DMark Fire Strike Combined, but rather a CPU-only stress test. Looking back, I regret that I didn't collect that data point, as it would show how much power the 3400G uses when both the CPU and the Vega graphics are loaded up. That's where I think you'll get pretty close to the 150W mark. Alas, I've moved on to a new review at this point, using the 3600 as the test vehicle for a number of low-profile coolers, so I really don't want to go back and install the 3400G....

...but since you're a devoted forum member, if you ask really nicely, I will! Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks for the kind offer, but you're probably better off sticking with the low profile cooler review (which, as a lover of all things SFF, and an owner of a Noctua NH-L12S, I'm looking forward to reading!).  While I like to mock up potential SFF systems for my own amusement, my next actual tinkering will almost certainly be on my FTZ01--either benchmarking the H60i (if it fits) or doing a gpu upgrade.  There's no Chopin purchase in the near future for me.  :-\

On a related note, I was psyched to see how well the Athlons did for grpahics performance.  I really had no idea.  That gives me a few more ideas about what to do with the Athlon processor I won during the last forum give away!

-Ben