Author Topic: Non gaming corded surround headset for quiet PC use  (Read 93 times)

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Non gaming corded surround headset for quiet PC use
« on: September 06, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »
I have been giving some recent thought on obtaining a headset for occasional use on my gaming/everything PC.  I have recently built a very high end PC that I use for gaming and everything else as well as home theater (I have a great surround sound setup).

There are too many headsets on the market to filter through, and I am in need of some help to decide which kind will work great for me.  I have already ruled out gaming headsets because I do not want a microphone or anything else hanging from it, just looking for a great quality headset that is capable of surround sound.  If there are gaming headsets that have a removable microphone, then I am open to suggestions  8).

Anyone have any ideas on where I should be looking?  My theoretical budget is $500 but I will pay extra for a unit that is worth it.  It will also act as a replacement for my wife to use.  Her Sennheiser momentums have crapped out (cost me close to $400 when purchased).  May I also add I game/watch movies from the couch which is 3 feet from the computer.

Regards,
Nikola
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:30:34 PM by NikolaZdravkovic »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Non gaming corded surround headset for quiet PC use
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 06:34:52 PM »
Welcome back to the Forum, Nikola!

I understand that you don't want a gaming headset, but if you want surround, you typically will need to go with a gaming-focused model. Most of the good ones have a detachable mic, so that should solve your problem!

I'd take a serious look at the following options:

(1) The brand-new HyperX Orbit, which was just released earlier this week. It uses novel 100mm planar magnetic drivers designed by Audeze, while offering premium surround sound capabilities. There's also an upgraded Orbit S with head tracking, available exclusively at Best Buy, which simulates the experience of listening to speakers to open the soundstage. I previewed the headsets in January 2019 at CES and again last month at PAX West.

(2) You can get all the same features in a Bluetooth model direct from Audeze in the form of the Audeze Mobius. It costs an extra $70. Only you can decide if your listening situation makes paying a premium for wireless make sense.

(3) Also consider the Audio-Technica ATH-G1WL, which launched in July and is a bargain at $250. In addition to offering 7.1 surround, it's also wireless like the Audeze Mobius. I also previewed these at PAX West, and they are incredibly comfortable. What I loved about them was how ultra-light and comfortable they were. Honestly, there's nothing "gamey" about these. They feel ultra-high-end, as you'd expect from Audio-Technica.

As you can see, the premium surround headset market is a very new one - the models I listed above have all been released this year. One thing to keep in mind is that the only way to get surround out of a headphone is to connect via USB (wired or wirelessly with a dongle), which includes an embedded soundcard. When you connect via analog, you will not get surround, even out of a surround headset. This is another reason surround models are being marketed towards gamers. Audiophiles of course don't use  USB in their listening setups. You seem to be in a unique situation where you can take advantage of these headphones for more than just games.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Re: Non gaming corded surround headset for quiet PC use
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
Thanks Ari for the response!

Some nice options listed there for sure.  I am not a huge fan of wireless (not a major selling point for me) and don't mind a wired connection by any means (my wife also likes wired).  After looking into the Mobius, most reviewers have stated it functions just as well as an all around headset (not just for gaming).  It seemed to excel at watching movies, etc.

If I do end up buying a headset, it will be used mostly for gaming on my end, but I wanted to buy something that my wife would also be able to use.  She does not do any gaming, and likes watching tv shows/movies/youtube.  She likes using headphones and I would like to get a good pair that both of us could use (preferably wired, wife does not like wireless/bluetooth). 

It seems as if the high end market for this is just starting to open up, but the mobius seems very interesting on my end as it looks like it can be used as a wired device as well with the USB.