Author Topic: Enjoyed Your...  (Read 105 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Enjoyed Your...
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
Review of the Q80R.  That's what I went with back in April/May.  Wish I would've waited for the discount as it's now down to $2,000 lol.  But I've enjoyed my time with it for sure.  I got the 65 inch Q80 you reviewed and while you can nitpick some things here and there, it truly is overall and amazing TV to watch and absolutely shines with good high quality content.

I turned the eco mode off like you mentioned in your review.  What else do you recommend I do? I'm not a huge 'settings' guy when it comes to TV's.  I have a good knowledge of what to do and how to change things and i have tinkered with the judder and motion settings but not enough to really know what I'm doing.  I don't mind Samsung's motion/soap opera effect that much but for me in depends on the content.  It some cases I think it makes things look much more fluid and organic while in other things (sports/fast motion scenes) it can make things look blobby.  I'm not sure if that's the judder of the soap opera effect or if those things are one in the same.  What would you advise me to do/change (if anything)?

Last, what do you think of the report a week or two ago that Samsung shut down quite a bit of their LCD production lines to throw their hat in the ring making their own version of QD - OLED's?  Would they still have to buy the OLED panel from LG or would these panels be all Samsung?

Last question, how far away do you think Samsung's OLED TV's are from being released and which do you think will make it to market first, their Micro LED or their OLED's? 

I'm a little surprised they are going to OLED, but if it's true it'll be quantum dot OLED where Samsung's could get brighter than traditional OLED, I might be interested.

For now, I'm LOVING my Q80R.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoyed Your...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:07:33 AM »
Review of the Q80R.  That's what I went with back in April/May.  Wish I would've waited for the discount as it's now down to $2,000 lol.  But I've enjoyed my time with it for sure.  I got the 65 inch Q80 you reviewed and while you can nitpick some things here and there, it truly is overall and amazing TV to watch and absolutely shines with good high quality content.

I turned the eco mode off like you mentioned in your review.  What else do you recommend I do? I'm not a huge 'settings' guy when it comes to TV's.  I have a good knowledge of what to do and how to change things and i have tinkered with the judder and motion settings but not enough to really know what I'm doing.  I don't mind Samsung's motion/soap opera effect that much but for me in depends on the content.  It some cases I think it makes things look much more fluid and organic while in other things (sports/fast motion scenes) it can make things look blobby.  I'm not sure if that's the judder of the soap opera effect or if those things are one in the same.  What would you advise me to do/change (if anything)?

Last, what do you think of the report a week or two ago that Samsung shut down quite a bit of their LCD production lines to throw their hat in the ring making their own version of QD - OLED's?  Would they still have to buy the OLED panel from LG or would these panels be all Samsung?

Last question, how far away do you think Samsung's OLED TV's are from being released and which do you think will make it to market first, their Micro LED or their OLED's? 

I'm a little surprised they are going to OLED, but if it's true it'll be quantum dot OLED where Samsung's could get brighter than traditional OLED, I might be interested.

For now, I'm LOVING my Q80R.

Wow, I hadn't seen the news about Samsung going over to OLEDs. That's because it's really an industry news story, in that it will be years before it translates to an actual consumer product. Interesting nonetheless.

I think Samsung has struggled to gain traction due to the early lead of LG's tech. Truth is QLEDs are better in 2019, but reviewers just aren't catching on to the improvements in QLEDs, and they keep talking only about OLED burn-in while failing to address the much more problematic black crush - particularly CNET, which is Samsung's worst enemy, and has basically stopped reviewing their TVs, focusing only on LGs instead.

Anyway, I'm glad you're liking your Q80R. It's a great TV. I do think Samsung is going to eat crow on the HDR+ vs Dolby Vision thing, but that's their lesson to learn. Even if you're the world's biggest TV maker, you can't fight an entire market.

LongJon

• View Profile
Re: Enjoyed Your...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:55 AM »
One thing I wish I would've done more research on is the space between the feet of the Q80R.  My current soundbar doesn't fit in between the feet like it did on my KS8000 and that sucks.  Makes the setup look weird.  I would go out and get a new soundbar (if I got one likely the Q80R soundbar) but it's quite a bit bigger so there's no way to fit it.  So I'm kinda stuck.  The stand I bought doesn't really leave room to put it out in front of the TV.

One thing I feel like that doesn't get enough love is the Excellent viewing angles of the TV.  It's amazing.  You don't think it'll be a huge deal until you get the TV and no matter where you are in the room, even of only temporarily to the side while going to the kitchen or whatever else, the picture is just as good and it's awesome.

I agree with you on the dolby vision thing, I'm sure eventually they'll come around (you'd think but who knows).