Author Topic: Custom Budget Build  (Read 130 times)

ashari

• View Profile
Custom Budget Build
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »
Hello Ari

After having built a Skylake HTPC 2-3 years ago with the help of TBG, I'm back, but this time wanting to build a regular desktop.  I believe the $750 Budget Gaming PC will suit my needs.  Hope you can give some insight on the below questions with the changes I want to make:

Since I've never owned an AMD PC, I was thinking of building one using the August 2019 setup with the Ryzen 5 2600X.  Any particular reason, other than price, for the switch to Intel i5-9400F for September 2019?  The Ryzen 5 2600X is still a bit cheaper on Amazon Canada and I'm planning on getting the GTX 1660 mentioned.

With regards to memory, I'd rather have a 2x8GB 2666 MHz RAM with the Crucial Ballistix at a decent price on Amazon Canada.
https://amzn.to/2zugkkG
Any particular reason to opt for a higher frequency RAM?

For the case, I like the look and design of the CoolerMaster Q300L rather than the Thermaltake Versa H17, thus I prefer the former.

Finally, for the PSU, both the Seasonic S12II 450W and the EVGA BR 450W are pretty expensive for my liking.  Any reason not to consider the Corsair CX450 instead which is posted at CAD$65?
https://amzn.to/2L50HXP

Thanks beforehand for your valuable insights, Ari!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:05:25 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Budget Build
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Hello Ari

After having built a Skylake HTPC 2-3 years ago with the help of TBG, I'm back, but this time wanting to build a regular desktop.  I believe the $750 Budget Gaming PC will suit my needs.  Hope you can give some insight on the below questions with the changes I want to make:

Since I've never owned an AMD PC, I was thinking of building one using the August 2019 setup with the Ryzen 5 2600X.  Any particular reason, other than price, for the switch to Intel i5-9400F for September 2019?  The Ryzen 5 2600X is still a bit cheaper on Amazon Canada and I'm planning on getting the GTX 1660 mentioned.

With regards to memory, I'd rather have a 2x8GB 2666 MHz RAM with the Crucial Ballistix at a decent price on Amazon Canada.
https://amzn.to/2zugkkG
Any particular reason to opt for a higher frequency RAM?

For the case, I like the look and design of the CoolerMaster Q300L rather than the Thermaltake Versa H17, thus I prefer the former.

Finally, for the PSU, both the Seasonic S12II 450W and the EVGA BR 450W are pretty expensive for my liking.  Any reason not to consider the Corsair CX450 instead which is posted at CAD$65?
https://amzn.to/2L50HXP

Thanks beforehand for your valuable insights, Ari!

Welcome back, ashari! Glad to hear your HTPC experience was good enough that you're interested in building another PC, and I'm also glad TBG is still around to help you out!

So, as to your questions, let me answer them one by one:
(1) The 2600X vs. 9400F question all comes down to performance for the price. And in the US, the 9400F is now slightly cheaper, and it remains a bit faster in gaming overall. So that gives it the win. Last month, the 2600X was a bit cheaper. It looks like the 9400F is also a bit cheaper in Canada, so that is the CPU I recommend if gaming is your main purpose. The 2600X would be better for HTPC use, game streaming, or video production, but for pure gaming, the 9400F wins.

(2) If you use the 2600X, you will want Ballistix RAM, ideally of the DDR4-3200 variety. If you use the 9400F, you cannot utilize anything higher than 2666, and any brand will do. The AMD platform is sensitive to RAM type, and Ballistix makes "single-rank" RAM that is better for Ryzen.

(3) Get whichever PSU you can find - the CX450 isn't even being sold in the US anymore due to tariffs.

(4) Glad you like the Q300L case. It sells out constantly, so grab it if you find it in stock!

Also, one request - to help support this forum, make sure to order your products using the Amazon Canada links in the TBG $750 Gaming PC Guide. Thanks!

ashari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
Hi Ari

Thanks for the insight as always. 

It looks like the price of the Ryzen 2600X went up as well on Amazon Canada, so will probably fall back to the 9400F.  There's no difference in price between the motherboards MSI B360M Bazooka and Gigabyte B360M DS3H on Amazon Canada right now and the only difference between the 2 that I could find is that the Bazooka has an extra PCIe x1 slot whereas the DS3H has a PCIe x4 slot.  I don't know much about the difference between the 2, but is there any pros of choosing one over the other?

I will definitely use the links provides on TBG, but just wanted to make sure how it works.  Can I just click on the link on TBG and save the product in my cart, or should I order the product asap?

Thanks

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
Hi Ari

Thanks for the insight as always. 

It looks like the price of the Ryzen 2600X went up as well on Amazon Canada, so will probably fall back to the 9400F.  There's no difference in price between the motherboards MSI B360M Bazooka and Gigabyte B360M DS3H on Amazon Canada right now and the only difference between the 2 that I could find is that the Bazooka has an extra PCIe x1 slot whereas the DS3H has a PCIe x4 slot.  I don't know much about the difference between the 2, but is there any pros of choosing one over the other?

I will definitely use the links provides on TBG, but just wanted to make sure how it works.  Can I just click on the link on TBG and save the product in my cart, or should I order the product asap?

Thanks

Between the MSI B360M Bazooka and Gigabyte B360M DS3H on Amazon Canada, definitely get the Bazooka. It has a better slot layout, better USB port setup, and better looks too.

Now, as for supporting the forum, the way to do it is to add items to your cart from any link, or all of the links if that makes it easier to find the components, and then purchase them within 24 hours. If you put them in your cart and then buy them a week later, the affiliate credit expires. Thanks for your consideration!