Author Topic: Dual Monitor Compatibility  (Read 688 times)

Julius S

• View Profile
Dual Monitor Compatibility
« on: August 14, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »
Hi. I recently did a build using AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/M.2 Thermal Guard with Onboard WiFi/HDMI/DP/USB 3.1 Gen 2/Mini ITX/Motherboard). Does this setup allow for dual monitors? If not, what can I do make my new build able to support dual monitors, on a budget? Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Monitor Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
Great to hear you just completed a new build! That's a very capable little system you have. It can definitely support two monitors - in fact it can support three, as it has two HDMI ports and a Displayport! The only requirement is that your monitors use these types of cables. Note that if you're using an ultra-compact mini-ITX chassis like the In-Win BQS656, you are in fact limited to the motherboard's video output, as that case (and others like it) cannot fit add-in video cards.

By the way, as long as you're here, you should sign up for the TBG Forum Prize Drawing. There are just 24 hours left to enter!

Julius S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
I've hooked up two monitors and it's still only detecting one monitor. What can I do to fix this?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
I've hooked up two monitors and it's still only detecting one monitor. What can I do to fix this?

Can you specify what two monitors you are using, and how you are connecting them? If you are using adapters to go from digital to analog, for example, it may not work.

Julius S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »
I'm using a Sceptre and an HP, with both connected through HDMI. And I don't know if this means anything but when I do connect the computer to one monitor with HDMI port 1, for example, and I try to switch to the other HDMI port while the computer is on, the monitor will not work anymore.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:48:57 PM »
I'm using a Sceptre and an HP, with both connected through HDMI. And I don't know if this means anything but when I do connect the computer to one monitor with HDMI port 1, for example, and I try to switch to the other HDMI port while the computer is on, the monitor will not work anymore.

OK, so to confirm, you have two monitors, and both use HDMI, correct? Have you attempted to boot up the computer with first the Sceptre and then the HP to ensure that both actually work on HDMI Port 1? I understand that you can't then switch to HDMI port 2, but can you boot either monitor on HDMI Port 2?

If you continue to have trouble, I will simply go ahead and test the Gigabyte B450 I motherboard I have in one of my test systems. That's one of the advantages of my recommending products I actually have!

Caboots

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Hi Ari,

Do you have any recommendations for a dual monitor setup?  I have a Dell XPS 13 and I have dual monitors at my office.  I'm using a 35in monitor at home
 (along with my desktop build - thanks to your tutelage a few years ago) but have another remote office location that I'm looking to set up with a standing desk.  I'm looking for two decent monitors for the new location that won't necessarily break the bank in the 27in to 32in range.  My total weight limit for the desk is 44 lbs.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
Hi Ari,

Do you have any recommendations for a dual monitor setup?  I have a Dell XPS 13 and I have dual monitors at my office.  I'm using a 35in monitor at home
 (along with my desktop build - thanks to your tutelage a few years ago) but have another remote office location that I'm looking to set up with a standing desk.  I'm looking for two decent monitors for the new location that won't necessarily break the bank in the 27in to 32in range.  My total weight limit for the desk is 44 lbs.

Thanks,

-Ryan

Welcome back, Ryan. The first thing I'll ask is whether you really need two physical monitors, or just want more workspace. Is your 35" monitor an ultra-wide like the Dell U3419W? If so, you know all about that type of monitor and probably know if it will work for you in your new office space.

Ultra-wides are becoming quite cost-competitive with dual 27" monitors, and are a whole lot sleeker. Now, I know a lot of people like being able to "snap" certain applications to a second monitor (like having Word docs always open up on the second monitor, and that's a little harder to manage on a single screen, but if you're willing to do a bit of arranging, or just want two separate apps open side-by-side (like a browser and Word, Excel, Photoshop, etc.), then an ultra-wide like the Dell U3419W is an excellent choice. With a resolution of 3440x1440, it's not quite as high as two 2560x1440 monitors, but it's still pretty good.

But there are a couple of models that are even more impressive. The Dell U3818DW offers a resolution of 3840x1600, which is just under 4K, but is ultra-wide at 38". If you want to go all the way with a single monitor, then the Dell U4919DW is an amazing choice, with a resolution of 5120 x 1440 (or two 27" screens). It's expensive, yes, but not much more than two good 27" panels.

Now, if you really want two separate monitors, then I'd go with dual Samsung UJ59 32" 4K models, and get a nice dual monitor arm for them, as the stands are so-so.

Caboots

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 02:19:26 PM »
Thanks very much Ari.

I'm using the Predator Z35P at home but I am looking to spend less than that for the new set up.  I like the relestate that the 35in monitor offers but you have a good point as to whether or not I really need the second one.  I may try the 27s or 32s and just start with 1 first to see how that goes.  Anything would be better than my 13in screen on the laptop. 

I'm also using one of those desk top stand-up models so that I can take it down when I don't need it so I am a bit concerned about portability. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 03:40:31 PM »
Thanks very much Ari.

I'm using the Predator Z35P at home but I am looking to spend less than that for the new set up.  I like the relestate that the 35in monitor offers but you have a good point as to whether or not I really need the second one.  I may try the 27s or 32s and just start with 1 first to see how that goes.  Anything would be better than my 13in screen on the laptop. 

I'm also using one of those desk top stand-up models so that I can take it down when I don't need it so I am a bit concerned about portability.

Yeah, then the Samsung UJ59 would be a great choice. A single 32" 4K monitor gives you a big upgrade from the laptop screen!