Author Topic: Is my monitor compatible  (Read 154 times)

DW

• View Profile
Is my monitor compatible
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:58:50 AM »
Hello everyone
I have just built the June 2019 $1,500 trading computer as per techbuyersguru specs. Since I don't have my new monitor as of yet I thought I would try my old monitor which is the Acer 15 inch 10 years old with a VGA connector and using an adapter cable to go to HDMI which I plugged into the computer. I have no signal to the monitor. The best resolution I can get is 1280 x 768. I'm wondering if my old monitor is even compatible with the new computer. The video card is the zodiac GeForce 1660. Should I still get a signal on the old monitor? I have confirmed the monitor works and the cables are good.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks eh!

DW

• View Profile
Re: Is my monitor compatible
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
The video card is a zotac GeForce 1660.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
Confirm you've plugged the cable into the video card and not the motherboard because the 3700x doesn't have built in graphics.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:39:37 PM »
Actually, I think the issue is that you're trying to convert a digital signal to analog without a powered converter. Put another way, your old monitor can't be used with new video cards, which have a pure digital output.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »
Confirm you've plugged the cable into the video card and not the motherboard because the 3700x doesn't have built in graphics.

This is also great advice, but in this case, even plugging into the video card won't work unless he has a powered converter.

I think it's best for DW to continue his troubleshooting once he has his new monitor.

DW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
Thanks Ari and Secret
So it turns out that I had the monitor plugged into the motherboard and not the video card. It's all good now.
Thanks for your help.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
Thanks Ari and Secret
So it turns out that I had the monitor plugged into the motherboard and not the video card. It's all good now.
Thanks for your help.

Secret comes through again! Sounds like you had a powered converter. Glad you got it working!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
I think you only need powered ones if going from vga to hdmi, but either way glad you got it working op.