Author Topic: July Build drive question  (Read 188 times)

Wrongway

• View Profile
July Build drive question
« on: July 28, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
Thank's Ari for adding me to the forum. I came across the a link to the forum from an X-Plane Facebook posting last week. I completed building the July $1500 PC build. After a trip to one of our major PC parts retailers here in the UK on Friday. I returned with everything except the Noctua LS-L12S and the RL-PP08B bracket, two vital elements. I got those overnight from Amazon UK which arrived yesterday. Having not built a PC for many years I looked at what arrived and gulped. However the buid was a lot easier than I expected taking around 4 hours. I took my time to be sure I got everything right. It worked first time. Very pleased. Just a shame I looked this morning to find a different graphics card recommended and a few other minor things.

As the major use for this PC will be flight/space simulation with VR I will need to add another drive. The X-Plane 11 sim and all the scenery I have is touching the  500Gb mark I thought of adding a couple of SATA III 2.5 SSD drives on the top drive tray. I have opted for Crucial 1TB MX500's. I hope it's a suitable choice.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: July Build drive question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
Thank's Ari for adding me to the forum. I came across the a link to the forum from an X-Plane Facebook posting last week. I completed building the July $1500 PC build. After a trip to one of our major PC parts retailers here in the UK on Friday. I returned with everything except the Noctua LS-L12S and the RL-PP08B bracket, two vital elements. I got those overnight from Amazon UK which arrived yesterday. Having not built a PC for many years I looked at what arrived and gulped. However the buid was a lot easier than I expected taking around 4 hours. I took my time to be sure I got everything right. It worked first time. Very pleased. Just a shame I looked this morning to find a different graphics card recommended and a few other minor things.

As the major use for this PC will be flight/space simulation with VR I will need to add another drive. The X-Plane 11 sim and all the scenery I have is touching the  500Gb mark I thought of adding a couple of SATA III 2.5 SSD drives on the top drive tray. I have opted for Crucial 1TB MX500's. I hope it's a suitable choice.

Welcome to the Forum, Wrongway!

Don't worry too much about the changes for August. There's nothing wrong with the RTX 2070 you have, it's just that it's been discontinued, so availability will quickly become extremely limited, making it a bad choice for the buyer's guide, but a fine choice for you! The RX 5700 XT that's now in the guide is about 2% faster, so not a big deal at all.

Now, as for your drive question, you went with a very good option in the Crucial MX500 1TB. But did you know that you could have instead gone with the Crucial MX500 2TB? Simplifies installation, and a bit cheaper per GB.

Wrongway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »

Don't worry too much about the changes for August. There's nothing wrong with the RTX 2070 you have, it's just that it's been discontinued, so availability will quickly become extremely limited, making it a bad choice for the buyer's guide, but a fine choice for you! The RX 5700 XT that's now in the guide is about 2% faster, so not a big deal at all.

Now, as for your drive question, you went with a very good option in the Crucial MX500 1TB. But did you know that you could have instead gone with the Crucial MX500 2TB? Simplifies installation, and a bit cheaper per GB.

I did think of going for the 2GB version but as I wanted to keep the sim things totally separate I opted for the 2 x 1TB drives with the other one being used for general apps etc.
That was pushing the limit of my current budget. Further down the line if one of the 1TB drives looks a bit cramped I would think the 2TB ones will have dropped in price and will be a good minor upgrade. I can always find room for the 1TB elsewhere  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:22:29 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »

I did think of going for the 2GB version but as I wanted to keep the sim things totally separate I opted for the 2 x 1TB drives with the other one being used for general apps etc.
That was pushing the limit of my current budget. Further down the line if one of the 1TB drives looks a bit cramped I would think the 2TB ones will have dropped in price and will be a good minor upgrade. I can always find room for the 1TB elsewhere  :)

Makes sense! By the way, glad to hear you enjoyed putting together the system so much. Please report back on how it performs in your flight sims!