Author Topic: T.V. doubling as a monitor  (Read 158 times)

Reyort

• View Profile
T.V. doubling as a monitor
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:55:01 AM »
My wife was wanting a t.v. for the bed room.  So like a faithful reader, I went to your buyer's guide and read up on the Samsung 55"  and noticed it has Freesync technology in it.  Would this t.v. make a decent monitor for a general purpose monitor as well as some light gaming?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: T.V. doubling as a monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
My wife was wanting a t.v. for the bed room.  So like a faithful reader, I went to your buyer's guide and read up on the Samsung 55"  and noticed it has Freesync technology in it.  Would this t.v. make a decent monitor for a general purpose monitor as well as some light gaming?

Hey, thanks for checking out the TV Buyer's Guide, Reyort!

So, yes, many new Samsung TVs have Freesync, which makes them great options for gaming in specific cases, but there are some very significant restrictions:

(1) FreeSync frame-syncing will only work with AMD GPUs, because although Nvidia now supports FreeSync through drivers, it does so only via Displayport, which TVs aren't equipped with.
(2) You'd have to get one of the higher-end QLED TVs to get a 120Hz panel, which Samsung is offering for the first time in 2019. For some extremely strange reason, Samsung doesn't actually publish this specification, so if you're interested in a 120Hz panel, I can inquire with my contacts at Samsung as to which models go all the way up to 120Hz. Note that as of right now, you can only run 120Hz at 1080p via HDMI, as no GPUs actually have HDMI 2.1.

And if you'd like to learn all the latest on TV tech, see my recent report from a Samsung conference I attended.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
And while you're here, enter to win some awesome prizes to celebrate the TBG Forum hitting 1000 members!

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »
Well if I do any gaming, it will be strategy type games. Any FPS style games are handled through the Xbox.  Dropping down to 1080p is fine for strategy games is fine.

The primary function of the t.v. is watching movies and using it as a monitor for web browsing and stock charts.

Would this fit the bill?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »
Well if I do any gaming, it will be strategy type games. Any FPS style games are handled through the Xbox.  Dropping down to 1080p is fine for strategy games is fine.

The primary function of the t.v. is watching movies and using it as a monitor for web browsing and stock charts.

Would this fit the bill?

Absolutely, but do you have a Radeon GPU? If not, you'll have fixed refresh rate only. For strategy, you may want FreeSync/4K if there's a lot of text on screen. If you do a lot of quick pans across maps, on the other hand, 120Hz at 1080p could be preferable.

I'll ask Samsung which models have 120Hz panels.

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »
Thanks alot. As far a computers go, I am going through some of your guides to see what will work.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
Thanks alot. As far a computers go, I am going through some of your guides to see what will work.

If you haven't already found them, I'd have a look at the $1,250 Slim Gaming PC or the $1,500 Ultra-Compact Gaming PC. Both currently feature AMD Radeon GPUs, and both are basically the same volume, just a different shape to meet different needs.