Author Topic: New HTPC build for Plex  (Read 708 times)

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
Re: New HTPC build for Plex
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 05:28:30 AM »
So I have done some testing in the last week trying to fine tune my next build. I wanted to archive my 4K and BluRay collection to my local hard drive to playback through my Denon receiver. So  I purchased a few item to test in my present system which Ari helped with was the following :
Present system
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 White
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Strix 8GB

I added two WD Black Raptors 4 TB drives and a LG WH16NS60 BluRay UHD drive in an external drive case.
I used DVDFAB software and flashed the drive to 1.01 ver and have around 100 movies now copied.So I was waiting on the ned :i :ian P 011 case and found I did not have enough room for it and looking for suggestion of cases that are around the following : 16" h x 15'' w x 16 d that hold 4 HD and has on 5.25 drive bay for my build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »
So I have done some testing in the last week trying to fine tune my next build. I wanted to archive my 4K and BluRay collection to my local hard drive to playback through my Denon receiver. So  I purchased a few item to test in my present system which Ari helped with was the following :
Present system
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 White
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Strix 8GB

I added two WD Black Raptors 4 TB drives and a LG WH16NS60 BluRay UHD drive in an external drive case.
I used DVDFAB software and flashed the drive to 1.01 ver and have around 100 movies now copied.So I was waiting on the ned :i :ian P 011 case and found I did not have enough room for it and looking for suggestion of cases that are around the following : 16" h x 15'' w x 16 d that hold 4 HD and has on 5.25 drive bay for my build.

Just to be clear on one thing, I assume you're archiving Blu-Rays, rather than 4K UHD discs, as your optical drive is a Blu-Ray reader. Ripping 4K discs is quite a bit more complicated, and it's nothing something I've fully researched as there are a lot of stumbling blocks.

Now, as for your question on cases, if the Lian Li 011 Dynamic is too large for your space (at 10.7" wide, 17.6" high, and 17.5" deep), plus you want an optical drive bay and four 3.5" bays, your options are going to be extremely limited. The issue is that your requirement of 16" x 16" is essentially impossible to find in an ATX case, which you need for the motherboard you have. The only option that I know of is Cooler Master's new Q500L, but that case does not fit an optical drive, and only fits two 3.5" drives. Even the Lian Li case wouldn't work based on capacity, as it can't fit an optical drive.

Long story short, you can't do what you want. Four hard drives, an optical drive, and your ATX motherboard cannot fit in the space you have allocated.

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 04:40:22 AM »
Yes The disc are 4K that are copied to M2TS files as originals and they are pretty large around 35-40 GB each but still have from what I see pretty close to original details. I don't play the disc through the LG Player only copy to a file on hard drive then I can playback on my PC and or stream through Plex on my Nvidia Shield or Kodi platform. It does work using a work around by flashing an older version of the drivers onto the drive as the new drivers won't allow it to work. As far a cases I will expand to leaving the 5.25 drive out because I still can use my LG as external when I need to and really only limit myself to have a 4 drive bays for hard drive storage and look at dual chamber style
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:24:16 AM by CAPTJOE »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 07:11:18 AM »
Yes The disc are 4K that are copied to M2TS files as originals and they are pretty large around 35-40 GB each but still have from what I see pretty close to original details. I don't play the disc through the LG Player only copy to a file on hard drive then I can playback on my PC and or stream through Plex on my Nvidia Shield or Kodi platform. It does work using a work around by flashing an older version of the drivers onto the drive as the new drivers won't allow it to work. As far a cases I will expand to leaving the 5.25 drive out because I still can use my LG as external when I need to and really only limit myself to have a 4 drive bays for hard drive storage and look at dual chamber style

In terms of the case, what you're really going to have to do to get it in those dimensions is switch to a microATX format, which means buying a new CPU and motherboard (you can't buy new motherboards for your 7700K anymore). If you're willing to do that, then you can have everything else you want, thanks to the excellent SilverStone PS07 case. Here are the specs:

(1) two optical drive bays
(2) five 3.5" hard drive bays
(3) dimensions of 8.27" (W) x 14.72" (H) x 15.75" (D)

Basically, it's the perfect case for you, but like I said, you'll need to switch to a new platform. If you're willing to do that, I can suggest a new motherboard and CPU that will also get you a nice upgrade from what you have right now:

(1) Ryzen 5 3600 Six-Core Processor - $197
(2) AsRock X570M Pro 4 Motherboard - $185

You could keep your RAM, video card, and power supply, so you're looking at just under $500 for the case, CPU, and motherboard, and you'll have a system that fits in your space, as well as a processor that's about 50% faster than your 7700K for the tasks you're doing (compression), plus a cutting-edge motherboard with USB Type-C, PCIe 4.0, etc. If you wanted to go for a massive upgrade, then you'd want to check out the $330 Ryzen 7 3700X, which will be twice as fast as the 7700K. You can pick it up with a $20 discount right now through Google Express.

For what it's worth, in the coming weeks, I'm going to upgrade my own personal 7700K system to a Ryzen 5 3600, as part of my review of the entire Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 3000-series lineup.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:15:02 PM by Ari Altman »

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 10:19:19 AM »
Im going to do a complete build and would love to do a new Ryzen build the 7700i will stay as a office and stock trading build.Ill look at that case.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 03:52:04 PM »
Im going to do a complete build and would love to do a new Ryzen build the 7700i will stay as a office and stock trading build.Ill look at that case.

Ah, I didn't realize you were open to a new build, but if so, you're all set. Five and a half years ago, I actually reviewed the earlier version of the PS07, called the TJ08-E. You can read the review here. The TJ08-E is still available in a classy titanium color, but it's does come at a premium price (currently $132).

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 04:43:21 AM »
Looking at he Ryzen 7 3700X and think the best way to go is the X470 over the X570 what do you think and do a GTX 2070 Maybe Super if prices are right?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 07:05:20 AM »
Looking at he Ryzen 7 3700X and think the best way to go is the X470 over the X570 what do you think and do a GTX 2070 Maybe Super if prices are right?

The issue with the Ryzen 7 3700X and an X470 board is that the system will not boot. That's because X470 boards don't have the proper firmware out of the box for the new 3700X. That's why I suggested the X570 board. It's definitely more expensive, but you're paying for it not only to work, but also for the updated chipset, which includes PCIe 4.0. And there's only one microATX X570 board on the market, the AsRock Steel Legend. You can order it from either of the following links:

(1) Amazon - backordered through Sept. 4th
(2) Newegg - available now

The only way to get an X470 board to work would be to have an older Ryzen processor available to boot up with and then to flash the PC with. I'm using B450 and X470 boards in my testing of the Ryzen 5 3600 and 3600X, but that's only because I had a 2700X that I could flash all my existing test boards with.

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 05:13:04 AM »
Okay got it.. If you had not limitations on size what case would be your top 3 for being quality , HHD storage, sound dampening.. I saw you did the Dark Base 900 a while back.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
Okay got it.. If you had not limitations on size what case would be your top 3 for being quality , HHD storage, sound dampening.. I saw you did the Dark Base 900 a while back.

All right, if you just wanted the best low-noise case with good hard drive capacity regardless of size, then there are a few great options:

(1) Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 - I did publish a review of this and was critical on two points: it's a bit hard to assemble, and it's huge on the outside despite some limitations on component sizes inside. But wow, it's a beautiful case, and it's incredibly quiet. It also has a tremendous amount of hard drive cages. So if you didn't care about the huge size and were willing to deal with the odd assembly process (you have to remove the power supply shroud, which isn't as easy as it should be), then this would be the top choice.

(2) After that, I'd take a very close look at Phanteks. In particular, its Eclipse P600S would be perfect for you. Comes with four hard drive brackets with more for additional ones, it has great sound dampening but can be opened up for higher airflow, and it comes in at a great price. I linked to the solid panel version, which will be ultra-quiet, but there's also a more stylish tempered glass version, which comes in three colors.

(3) One more great choice is the Fractal Design Define R6. The styling is very conservative, but if that doesn't bother you, it will provide great performance and hard drive storage, with acoustic padding and 6 racks included.

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 06:18:05 AM »
any experience with the In Win 909 case

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »
any experience with the In Win 909 case

In Win makes beautiful cases, but they often are all about form over function. For example, in the 909, there are 4 hard drive trays, but they receive zero cooling.

Also, the 909 is actually discontinued.

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2019, 09:05:09 AM »
Thanks I got a pre order in for the Lian Li PC-011D XL.
I try to use your guide through this one also for a 3700X CPU and  X570 motherboard