Author Topic: Build a media PC to rival output of OPPO 203.Pioneer LX 500 .Panasonic UB 9000  (Read 493 times)

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
Looking to build a new PC.Last one was posted here for JOE's RGB Gaming PC. Now I was looking for a new UHD 4K player and thought I would look into building a PC platform that would output the best audio and video to rival that of the best players out there like the OPPO 203 or 205. Panasonic UB 9000.Pioneer UDP-LX500. I not sure which way to go. My budget is 1500.00.
My TV is a Sony xbr 65 z9d and receiver is a Denon AVR-X4500H..

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Looking to build a new PC.Last one was posted here for JOE's RGB Gaming PC. Now I was looking for a new UHD 4K player and thought I would look into building a PC platform that would output the best audio and video to rival that of the best players out there like the OPPO 203 or 205. Panasonic UB 9000.Pioneer UDP-LX500. I not sure which way to go. My budget is 1500.00.
My TV is a Sony xbr 65 z9d and receiver is a Denon AVR-X4500H..

Welcome back, CAPTJOE! Your RGB Gaming PC remains one of the best looking PCs ever featured in the TBG Gallery!

Now as much as I like to hear that people enjoyed PC building enough to build another one, I don't think you want to spend the time and money to build a PC for the purposes of 4K Blu-Ray playback. Here's why: even if you can get equal video and audio quality (which is hard due to restrictions built into the HDMI 2.0 standard), the 4K Blu-Ray PC will never be as simple to use for movie playback as a great dedicated player. The Oppo line is no longer manufactured (which is a shame - I have a 203 and it's fantastic!), and Samsung has abandoned the market. Luckily both Pioneer and Sony have great new options - the UDP-LX500 from Pioneer is what I'd buy today (I like the Elite styling, and have enjoyed my Elite AV Receiver), but the brand-new Sony 1100ES is probably the better value as it will have image and audio quality that's at least as good, even if the player looks sort of mid-range. Remember there's only so much you can do to enhance a pure digital signal, so I think the Panasonic UB 9000 is overpriced - the Panasonic UB820 is probably what you'd want to consider from Panasonic. I have a Sony X700 for my second TV, and it's perfectly fine - and a good value too (sold out at the moment, but it will return).

The issue with running 4K Blu-Ray on PC is that it's unnecessarily difficult and expensive. You need to use the Pioneer BDR-211UBK, which was released for $120 but has been discontinued (but you can buy it from a third party for a premium), then you need Cyberlink's Power DVD 19 Ultra software, because the junk bundled with the drive won't work. Then you have to deal with the lack of a remote, inability to use a universal remote for most commands, an interface that's harder to use than a dedicated player, etc. etc. And you may get interference from internal components like the Nvidia GPU, which is essentially required for proper decoding and HDMI 2.0 output.

So, this is why no such build is featured in TBG's guides. It's possible, but build guides don't get published here because they're possible, they only make the cut if they're something I can recommend.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:43:17 PM by Ari Altman »

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
I have my eye on the Pioneer LX 500 and will look at the media build as a complement to store my digital files.

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
Bought the Pioneer for 818.00 from world wide. now want to set up a plex server build. Do I follow the small form factor .. which I do not really need to go bigger? Also running linix vs windows for plex.I will connect to Denon AVR 6400.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Bought the Pioneer for 818.00 from world wide. now want to set up a plex server build. Do I follow the small form factor .. which I do not really need to go bigger? Also running linix vs windows for plex.I will connect to Denon AVR 6400.

Good choice - post back with your impressions!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thought you might like to know what 4K player Samsung actually uses in its 4K TV demos - scroll down to the page of this article to see it! And feel free to read the rest of the article to get my impressions of 8K tech.

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
Good article, Thanks for the heads up. Also I'm waiting on the release of the Lian Li PC-011 XL to be released in sept. for new build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good article, Thanks for the heads up. Also I'm waiting on the release of the Lian Li PC-011 XL to be released in sept. for new build.

Glad you liked it.

And thank YOU for the heads up on the 011 XL - I hadn't seen that it was announced at Computex. I think the addition of a 120mm rear fan bracket is the most important change, but do note that it's going to be a lot bigger, so it's getting into the range of being maybe too big for an HTPC. The standard 011 is fairly compact for a tower case, which is why I mentioned it to you.

Also, since you're a long-time member of the Forum, you should definitely sign up for the prize drawing we're holding right now to celebrate hitting 1,000 members!

CAPTJOE

• View Profile
Thanks for the heads up on the drawing..I made my post there on the link you sent..
Also I e-mailed Lian Li and they said end of Sept was planned arrival of the XL case.In the USA...