Author Topic: Best Internal Hard Drive option for large older gaming library (8-12TB)  (Read 243 times)

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Good day everyone.

I have recently bought a full tilt state of the art gaming pc and I am loving the 2 Samsung 970 EVO I have purchased.  Between the 2 drives, I only have 2 TB of storage.  Windows 10 is installed on one of the SSD's (as well as some select games) and the other SSD is for other games.  I also have a Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB 5400 RPM 256MB for mass file storage like music, etc. 

My only question is I have a large game library across GOG, Epic, and Steam of a lot of older games which I don't want to put on the SSD drives or the Barracuda.  What is the best mass storage option for my older game library?  I was looking at either the

Seagate BarraCuda Pro 12TB Internal Hard Drive Performance HDD
or
Toshiba X300 12TB Performance & Gaming Internal Hard Drive

I realize 12TB is a bit of overkill, but with Amazon Prime Day I can snag the Toshiba at under $400 Canadian.  It would also be nice to install every game I own onto a hard drive for convenience purposes.

Thanks,
Nik

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good day everyone.

I have recently bought a full tilt state of the art gaming pc and I am loving the 2 Samsung 970 EVO I have purchased.  Between the 2 drives, I only have 2 TB of storage.  Windows 10 is installed on one of the SSD's (as well as some select games) and the other SSD is for other games.  I also have a Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004 4TB 5400 RPM 256MB for mass file storage like music, etc. 

My only question is I have a large game library across GOG, Epic, and Steam of a lot of older games which I don't want to put on the SSD drives or the Barracuda.  What is the best mass storage option for my older game library?  I was looking at either the

Seagate BarraCuda Pro 12TB Internal Hard Drive Performance HDD
or
Toshiba X300 12TB Performance & Gaming Internal Hard Drive

I realize 12TB is a bit of overkill, but with Amazon Prime Day I can snag the Toshiba at under $400 Canadian.  It would also be nice to install every game I own onto a hard drive for convenience purposes.

Thanks,
Nik

Welcome back, Nik!

Those are some pretty big drives you're talking about. If you're just interested in having every game on the PC, without worrying too much about load times, either would work. I'd probably go for the Toshiba X300, as I don't really trust Seagate's drives in those ultra-high capacities. The Toshiba is also a lot cheaper it seems. Any slight difference in performance won't really matter for your purposes.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Thanks again Ari for a prompt response! 
The 8TB Toshiba is under $200.  Is there that much of a difference between the 128 mb cache and the 256mb cache of the 12 TB Toshiba?  Thinking of scoping the 8TB drive (half the price).  Will I notice a difference with the cache between the 8TB and 12TB?

Once again thanks Ari!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:15:10 PM by NikolaZdravkovic »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks again Ari for a prompt response!  I was getting a tad overwhelmed with all the hard drive lingo especially when RAID configurations kept being brought up in my research on these drives.  I was never interested in RAID as I would just install newer games on the SSD drives.  If the hard drive also ends up failing, it is of no consequence to me as it is just a game collection library (HDD failing and RAID seem synonymous with each other it seems).

Another question if you don't mind answering.  In my research I have noticed different types of HDD drives such as: NAS, SATA, and Seagate even had a SSD/HDD hybrid.  There are probably others I have not mentioned.  My PC is one that is always left running.  Are any of these other HDD drive types better in my application?  Or stick with the basic SATA?   I am probably just confusing myself haha.
Once again thanks Ari!

All good questions. The issue isn't so much whether your PC is on all the time, but rather whether the drive is being accessed all the time. Given that you'll probably rarely play these games, you don't need a NAS drive or a surveillance drive that's intended for more of a constant-on situation. The drive will spin down almost all the time the way you'll use it. And while the Hybrid drive from Seagate is very nice for speeding up game launches (I've actually confirmed this in testing), the largest size is 2TB, so that won't work for your needs.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
In my attempt to reply, I seem to have edited out the post you have replied to haha.  Would you be offer any clarification between the Toshiba 8TB and Toshiba 12TB?  the 8Tb has 128 MB cache and the 12TB has 256 MB Cache.  Will I notice any difference?  The 8TB is half price for another 30 hours or so.

Thanks,
Nik

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
In my attempt to reply, I seem to have edited out the post you have replied to haha.  Would you be offer any clarification between the Toshiba 8TB and Toshiba 12TB?  the 8Tb has 128 MB cache and the 12TB has 256 MB Cache.  Will I notice any difference?  The 8TB is half price for another 30 hours or so.

Thanks,
Nik

The bigger drive likely needs the extra cache just to maintain the same speed. I highly doubt it's actually faster. I always recommended buying capacity in the sweet spot of value, and that's 8TB, not 12TB. So, buy the 8TB for $200 CDN.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
Thanks again Ari!  Much appreciated. 

Until next time   8)

Nik

Secret

• View Profile
I know some have drive preferences which is understandable but I run Seagate Barracuda Pros and have very good luck with them.  I would always opt for the 256mb cache.