Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 High-End mATX HTPC  (Read 446 times)

dlbrum

• View Profile
The TBG $1,250 High-End mATX HTPC
« on: July 11, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
Built the $1250 HTPC build,   leaving only 2 head scratchers:  (aorus 540 M,  ryzen 2700 )

1. I bought and installed the Ballistix 2x8GB DDR4-3200 ram,  and installed per the MB manual  suggestion in slot 1 and 2 (furthest from CPU,   and middle) for dual channel use.
Bios doesn't show anything about dual channel,  or a way to turn it on,   and the bios reading is not 3200.   How does it turn on ?   Bios is F5

2. first startup to bios shows the WD 2GB HD drive,  and the DVD drive in the boot priority.   The NVmE device shows up only on the last screen as third in boot priority.   How do I make the bios put the NVMe as first choice ?

TIA for any help/ideas ...

Dave
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:14:30 PM by Ari Altman »

Secret

• View Profile
Re: 2 questions from HTPC build. Amazingly cool.. !
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:54:26 PM »
If you're using an Asrock board like in the guide, once you're in UEFI you can go to the OC Tweaker tab then DRAM configuration and under there enable XMP settings and/or set the DRAM frequency to 3200.  As for the boot drive, if you have windows installed to the 2gb drive that's where it's going to boot from.  If you don't and it's trying to boot from that first go into the Boot tab and under
boot option priorities you can select option #1 as the NVmE.  This should be prefixed by "windows boot manager".  If it's not then you probably don't have windows installed on the NVmE.

Also I thought getting into the bios was done with F2 but maybe they changed it?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:56:40 PM by Secret »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
Hell, dlbrum, and welcome to the Forum. Fellow member Secret has some great tips as always, but I can clarify a few additional points.

I believe you are using a Gigabyte board, so the instructions may be a bit different, but in general, once you get into the UEFI (I find "delete" to be universal, while the F key shortcuts differ by manufacturer), you will find a selection for AMP, but not dual channel. Dual channel is simply a physical characteristic - either you have RAM sticks in both channels or you don't. The first two RAM slots and the second two RAM slots each represent one of the channels, which is why you want to split the RAM sticks with a gap between them when using two sticks. In Gigabyte's UEFI, there will be a selection for "Advanced Memory Settings", and you'll find AMP there, where you set DDR4-3200.

And in terms of the SSD, once you install Windows 10 on it, the UEFI will know that it is the boot drive. So don't worry too much about selecting which drive is the boot drive before you have Windows installed. You can technically do it, but it won't mean much.

dlbrum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »
Thanks very much.   All is as you say,   and it was astonishing to watch win install in just minutes.   I've been around since early days of NT (MCSE 18149),  and what you can build now is just so much fun. 

Trying valiantly to get the 1660TI graphics driver to install,  it wouldn't go from the gigabyte cd'z...   

Maybe a suggestion:   would it be useful to have a tricks and tips for each build forum thread for builders to contribute to  ?   I would be happy to let folks know the orientation needed for the cooler,  and that no,  you can't put the fan on top,   and so on.   That might make the HTPC build smoother,   if anybody read that first.  Just an idea.

Thanks for having this site,  hope it makes a few bucks on click thrus...
Dave

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »
Thanks very much.   All is as you say,   and it was astonishing to watch win install in just minutes.   I've been around since early days of NT (MCSE 18149),  and what you can build now is just so much fun. 

Trying valiantly to get the 1660TI graphics driver to install,  it wouldn't go from the gigabyte cd'z...   

Maybe a suggestion:   would it be useful to have a tricks and tips for each build forum thread for builders to contribute to  ?   I would be happy to let folks know the orientation needed for the cooler,  and that no,  you can't put the fan on top,   and so on.   That might make the HTPC build smoother,   if anybody read that first.  Just an idea.

Thanks for having this site,  hope it makes a few bucks on click thrus...
Dave

Glad you're making progress. The best place to go for drivers for the 1660 Ti is the Nvidia Drivers download site.

The buyer's guides are updated monthly, so it's hard to create one "tips and tricks" thread that will continue to apply. In fact, because this build has changed so much recently, going from ATX to mATX, perhaps I should start a new thread. Are you working on the $1,250 HTPC Build? If so, why don't we make this thread you created the official thread? I can change the title and link to it from the buyer's guide page!

dlbrum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
Yes,  that's the one:   1250 HTPC,  gigabyte aorus 450M,  gigabyte 1660ti,  I substituted an intel 1TB NvMe (found for $87).   It is _astonishing_ how quickly win10 loads,   and how quickly the machine boots up totally silent in seconds.  Very impressive.

So,  only thing I'd suggest for builders is to make sure that the cooler fins are oriented so that the heat pipes won't preclude 1660TI card.
And don't move the fan to the top of the cooler,  as suggested in the (gasp) docs,     as then the optical tray won't go in.

I'm wondering whether the 1660 TI is really called for in HTPC use (not a gamer) ?   I've used lower capability/cost$  cards  for years, even onboard intel vid. (for BD play,  and 3D BD)   But of course,  4K and so on will likely need more horsepower.   Have you considered the use of onboard video,  or is it not capable of the HDR and so on loads ? 

I'll be following your TV research as well,   building two new media rooms in over the next two years.  My design question of the moment is:  can one do atmos without room depth  for rear surrounds to live  behind you.    :-) 

Thanks, Dave

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
Yes,  that's the one:   1250 HTPC,  gigabyte aorus 450M,  gigabyte 1660ti,  I substituted an intel 1TB NvMe (found for $87).   It is _astonishing_ how quickly win10 loads,   and how quickly the machine boots up totally silent in seconds.  Very impressive.

So,  only thing I'd suggest for builders is to make sure that the cooler fins are oriented so that the heat pipes won't preclude 1660TI card.
And don't move the fan to the top of the cooler,  as suggested in the (gasp) docs,     as then the optical tray won't go in.

I'm wondering whether the 1660 TI is really called for in HTPC use (not a gamer) ?   I've used lower capability/cost$  cards  for years, even onboard intel vid. (for BD play,  and 3D BD)   But of course,  4K and so on will likely need more horsepower.   Have you considered the use of onboard video,  or is it not capable of the HDR and so on loads ? 

I'll be following your TV research as well,   building two new media rooms in over the next two years.  My design question of the moment is:  can one do atmos without room depth  for rear surrounds to live  behind you.    :-) 

Thanks, Dave

All right, I'll make this the official forum thread for the latest $1,250 HTPC Guide!

I agree that you have to mount the fan below the heatsink, but that's fine (the top mount is just another option on the Noctua NH-L12S). As for the GTX 1660 Ti, yes, it's overkill just for video playback, but this is the "high-end" build after all, so adding serious gaming capability is in order. But you do need an HDMI 2.0 port, and it's helpful to have DisplayPort as well for high-end monitors. A lower-cost option is the GTX 1650 4GB, but because the GTX 1660 Ti is about 3x faster in games, I believe it's worth it for a lot of people for the extra $130 or so. Onboard video, by the way, will not work because you won't have a proper HDMI 2.0 port. Your motherboard has one, but it's using a converter, and of course, AMD Ryzen processors have no onboard video anyway. Could it work with a Ryzen APU like the 2400G? Yes, but the 2400G is missing some protocols in the drivers that leads to reduced capabilities. So overall, no, no, no to onboard video in a high-end 4K playback machine!

In terms of Atmos, the real breakthrough is the height channel, but it sounds like you want to just use it in a standard 5.1 setup. I haven't done back-to-back tests of that, but hopefully will soon!

On a sidenote, you should see my discussion with another forum member today about building a 4K Blu-Ray PC. You may be surprised to hear that I don't recommend it!

zyrain

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 High-End mATX HTPC
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 02:38:54 AM »
Hey all!  I bought all the components for this and built it.  I did run into one significant issue though you all should be aware of. The 06 case has a hotswap drive bay that interferes with the PCIe power port on the PSU.  Of course, the PCIe power is required for the specified video card.

It almost fits, but trying to reseat the bay was literally cutting into the power wires, so I ended up taking out the whole hot swap bay (I'm using NAS anyhow).

Thanks for everything!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
Hey all!  I bought all the components for this and built it.  I did run into one significant issue though you all should be aware of. The 06 case has a hotswap drive bay that interferes with the PCIe power port on the PSU.  Of course, the PCIe power is required for the specified video card.

It almost fits, but trying to reseat the bay was literally cutting into the power wires, so I ended up taking out the whole hot swap bay (I'm using NAS anyhow).

Thanks for everything!

Thanks for reporting this to the Forum, zyrain. The Seasonic SSR-450FM is the smallest possible power supply you can use at just 140mm long, so the issue is likely because the GD06 was designed to use non-modular power supplies, which are no longer recommended for high-end builds. I'll make a note in the guide about removing the hot-swap bays, and I'll also contact SilverStone about this issue to see if they are aware of it.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »

Thanks for everything!

Quick update here: I did receive confirmation from SilverStone that there is a known clearance problem with the hot-swap bays. Here's what they said:

we are aware some modular PSU's connector may interfere with GD06's hot-swap cage. This is mentioned on page 20 in GD06's manual.

Here's what Page 20 says:

The GD06 supports power supply with depth of up to 150mm. The modular cable power supply might interfere with the hot-swappable hard drive racks. Please make sure they will not interfere with each other. We recommend installing SilverStone's ST50F-P (140mm deep) power supply upside-down.

In fact, they even included a diagram in the manual illustrating the very problem you encountered:

Because hot swap bays are no longer a popular feature, I have dropped the GD06 from the guide for August 2019, and going forward will instead be recommending the GD05.