Author Topic: Ari, NEED quick help!  (Read 307 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Ari, NEED quick help!
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »
My Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router I bought back in 2015 bit the dust in a storm on Friday.  So I'm going to go on Saturday to Best Buy and pick up a new one.  As you know I'm a hardcore gamer and want the best.  I play hard wired and liked the QoS settings on my Nighthawk 1900.  I'm wondering how much routers have changed or improved in the last 4 years?  I was looking at staying with Netgear and going after the XR700 but I see it doesn't have WiFi 6.  Would I be better off going after the Nighthawk AX12?

Both are over $470 so I know that's a lot of money but I plan on having this for many years and want to future proof my purchase.  Also there's 3 adults living where I live with probably 20 internet devices connected soooo yeah.  It's a large house so I might need a range extender given where the router will be.

Thanks for your input and if there's another model you'd recommend please let me know what you think. 

Also, when it comes to Ethernet cords, I've been using the same ones for MANY years.  Would I need to upgrade those or does that not really matter?

Thanks for all your help!

Edit - Scratch that, I'm probably going to go with whatever Best Buy has tomorrow and they don't have either of those two I mentioned available for purchase.  I need internet for work and since I'll be hard wired for my online gaming (PC/Xbox One X) and I already have a Nighthawk Range extender I bought in 2017 (assuming it'll still work with a new Nighthawk?) I'll probably just try and find the best available product to purchase. 

I'm kind of in a sucky situation where I don't WANT to wait, but I might have to if I can't find something good enough.  I also don't want to overpay if I'm not going to use something. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:25:48 AM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ari, NEED quick help!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 09:07:13 AM »
My Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router I bought back in 2015 bit the dust in a storm on Friday.  So I'm going to go on Saturday to Best Buy and pick up a new one.  As you know I'm a hardcore gamer and want the best.  I play hard wired and liked the QoS settings on my Nighthawk 1900.  I'm wondering how much routers have changed or improved in the last 4 years?  I was looking at staying with Netgear and going after the XR700 but I see it doesn't have WiFi 6.  Would I be better off going after the Nighthawk AX12?

Both are over $470 so I know that's a lot of money but I plan on having this for many years and want to future proof my purchase.  Also there's 3 adults living where I live with probably 20 internet devices connected soooo yeah.  It's a large house so I might need a range extender given where the router will be.

Thanks for your input and if there's another model you'd recommend please let me know what you think. 

Also, when it comes to Ethernet cords, I've been using the same ones for MANY years.  Would I need to upgrade those or does that not really matter?

Thanks for all your help!

Edit - Scratch that, I'm probably going to go with whatever Best Buy has tomorrow and they don't have either of those two I mentioned available for purchase.  I need internet for work and since I'll be hard wired for my online gaming (PC/Xbox One X) and I already have a Nighthawk Range extender I bought in 2017 (assuming it'll still work with a new Nighthawk?) I'll probably just try and find the best available product to purchase. 

I'm kind of in a sucky situation where I don't WANT to wait, but I might have to if I can't find something good enough.  I also don't want to overpay if I'm not going to use something.

I would strongly recommend you get a mesh system, especially for your situation with lots of users. Range extenders were, are, and always will be a second-rate solution. Go for the Linksys Velop right here.

As for WiFi 6, I think it's too early too know whether that will actually make a difference. In my opinion, 802.11ac is more than fast enough IF it's in range. And with mesh, you are always in range. That's the secret.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
Iím not familiar with that.  I would still need a regular router in addition to what you linked correct? 

Also, if I donít need a router, do I just plug one of these 3 towers into my modem and then hardwire my PC and Xbox into it like I did my nighthawk?  Will I miss QoS from my Nighthawk for prioritization purposes?

Iím just not familiar with mesh systems.

We have had a Century Link modem connected to a Netgear Nighthawk router.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:39:26 AM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Iím not familiar with that.  I would still need a regular router in addition to what you linked correct? 

Also, if I donít need a router, do I just plug one of these 3 towers into my modem and then hardwire my PC and Xbox into it like I did my nighthawk?  Will I miss QoS from my Nighthawk for prioritization purposes?

Iím just not familiar with mesh systems.

We have had a Century Link modem connected to a Netgear Nighthawk router.

They are the future, and it's exactly what you need for your multi user setup. Read my review of the competing Deco M9 to understand how it works.