Author Topic: Acer Predator 43" 144hz Monitor (CG437K P) - Any info?  (Read 1871 times)

bensrichards

• View Profile
Acer Predator 43" 144hz Monitor (CG437K P) - Any info?
« on: June 11, 2019, 06:33:52 AM »
Hey Ari,

Have you heard anything about Acer's CG437K P?  I saw a bunch of articles back in April when I presume it was previewed for the first time, but nothing since.

I was wondering what your opinion of the monitor is.  Particularly, do you think it's anywhere close to a commercial release?  Do you think it would be a serviceable living room TV replacement when connected to something like the $2500 ITX build?

Best,
Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Acer Predator 43" 144hz Monitor (CG437K P) - Any info?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
I actually hadn't followed this one, as it wasn't shown at a major show, but it does look interesting. PCMag has a good overview.

Supposedly coming in at $1300 in September, but with no updates in a few months, including skipping two major shows, it's definitely delayed.

My personal opinion is that the size isn't right. Too big for a desk, too small for a media room. I'd like to see this at 32".

bensrichards

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »
Just updating this thread because the CG437K P is supposedly now available in the US.  See https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.MC7AA.P01.  MSRP is $1,499, which is $200 more than previously thought, and also $400 more than the ASUS  XG438Q, which is actually available to buy on Amazon right now for $1,099.  I don't know of any other comparable monitors, where comparable means 43" 4K and 120Hz.

The Asus has been out for a couple months, and initial reviews were middling.  I remember a couple reviews calling out low quality text rendering because of an inverted BGR pixel orientation on the VA panel.  I question whether anyone is seriously going to use either of these monitors to do extensive text editing though, so the importance of that critique seems low...  Nonetheless, I'll be interested to see if the Predator has the same issue, largely because I think that would shed light on how much under the hood componentry is shared by these two monitors.  I've been assuming there would be a lot of overlap do the similar specs, but I don't have any experience in monitor manufacturing supply chains, so what do I know?  ;D

I'm still interested in a 43" 4K 120HZ monitor to replace my living room TV.  We live in a townhouse and are space limited on TV size to 43" (seriously... we literally don't have another inch to spare on our entertainment console), so BFGDs are not an option.  At the same time, while some traditional TVs are getting higher refresh rates and FreeSync compatibility, the fine print almost always says that those features are not available on 43" models (looking at you Samsung).  Thus, if I want to game at more than 60FPS on my living room PC, I think the Acer and Asus 43" monitors are my only option.

Just some food for thought for anyone else in a similar boat with size restrictions and living room gaming.

-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »
Just updating this thread because the CG437K P is supposedly now available in the US.  See https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.MC7AA.P01.  MSRP is $1,499, which is $200 more than previously thought, and also $400 more than the ASUS  XG438Q, which is actually available to buy on Amazon right now for $1,099.  I don't know of any other comparable monitors, where comparable means 43" 4K and 120Hz.

The Asus has been out for a couple months, and initial reviews were middling.  I remember a couple reviews calling out low quality text rendering because of an inverted BGR pixel orientation on the VA panel.  I question whether anyone is seriously going to use either of these monitors to do extensive text editing though, so the importance of that critique seems low...  Nonetheless, I'll be interested to see if the Predator has the same issue, largely because I think that would shed light on how much under the hood componentry is shared by these two monitors.  I've been assuming there would be a lot of overlap do the similar specs, but I don't have any experience in monitor manufacturing supply chains, so what do I know?  ;D

I'm still interested in a 43" 4K 120HZ monitor to replace my living room TV.  We live in a townhouse and are space limited on TV size to 43" (seriously... we literally don't have another inch to spare on our entertainment console), so BFGDs are not an option.  At the same time, while some traditional TVs are getting higher refresh rates and FreeSync compatibility, the fine print almost always says that those features are not available on 43" models (looking at you Samsung).  Thus, if I want to game at more than 60FPS on my living room PC, I think the Acer and Asus 43" monitors are my only option.

Just some food for thought for anyone else in a similar boat with size restrictions and living room gaming.

-Ben

Hey Ben, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Honestly, the Asus XG438Q wasn't on my radar, despite being released in August, so I'm a little behind! With that said, it does have some pretty serious limitations, one being the VA panel, but another being that you can only get 4K/120Hz via DisplayPort, not HDMI 2.0, so it's not ideal it's not a future-proof solution for game consoles. I also believe they are Display Stream Compression (DSC) to get to 120Hz on DisplayPort, because it doesn't technically support it either with this compression, and I don't know what the effect is on image quality. I think I need to do some reading on the monitor sites to get up to speed!

As for the Acer, it's almost certainly exactly the same thing. I don't believe there's ever been a time when Acer or Asus didn't offer carbon copies of the same monitor. They use the exact same suppliers every time. Acer typically waits a bit longer and hits a lower pricepoint, but this time it's both late and more expensive!

The 43" 4K panels are a bit of niche at this point, but it sounds perfect in your situation. Don't expect a lot of TV manufacturers to debut high-end models at that size ever again. In fact, most premium TVs start at 65" this year.