Author Topic: BEST $1,500 MINI-ITX GAMING PC BUILD cooler fitment issue  (Read 1241 times)

taylorj3

• View Profile
BEST $1,500 MINI-ITX GAMING PC BUILD cooler fitment issue
« on: May 17, 2019, 04:15:46 PM »
This past week I purchased all of the parts in this build guide, but when I went to assemble I had an issue.  The CPU cooler now listed (Noctua NH-L12S) does not fit.  The heat pipes contact the heat sync on the Z390 I Aorus board, and it does not sit flat on the CPU.  I noticed in the reader build they are using the cooler from previous builds (SilverStone NT06-PRO-V2) with the Z390 I Aorus board and it clears.  Thought I would mention it, as I am returning the Noctua cooler and getting the SilverStone.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BEST $1,500 MINI-ITX GAMING PC BUILD cooler fitment issue
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
This past week I purchased all of the parts in this build guide, but when I went to assemble I had an issue.  The CPU cooler now listed (Noctua NH-L12S) does not fit.  The heat pipes contact the heat sync on the Z390 I Aorus board, and it does not sit flat on the CPU.  I noticed in the reader build they are using the cooler from previous builds (SilverStone NT06-PRO-V2) with the Z390 I Aorus board and it clears.  Thought I would mention it, as I am returning the Noctua cooler and getting the SilverStone.

Thanks for checking in, taylorj3. You can actually bend the heatpipes on the Noctua slightly to get it to sit correctly. The NT06 Pro was swapped out because the Noctua really is a nicer cooler. Have another look before you box it up.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
In fact, AudiAddict, whose system you see profiled in the Gallery, HATED the NT06-Pro, which is why I switched it out!

taylorj3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »
Okay, I'll try that.  Any advice on how to bend them?  Just pliers?  I tried pushing on them and they seemed pretty stout.  Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
Okay, I'll try that.  Any advice on how to bend them?  Just pliers?  I tried pushing on them and they seemed pretty stout.  Thanks!

Just try to use your hands, holding the base firmly in one hand and pushing on the back of the heatpipes with the palm of your other hand. Don't use pliers, as that could snap the pipes. If you can't do it by hand, let me know, and I'll update the guide (again), switching back to the NT06.

And I should say that I'm quite aware of the problem with the heatsink covers on the newest motherboards. It's most definitely not just the Gigabyte Z390I Aorus, in fact, a number of Asus boards are much worse in this regard, making it impossible to use any low-profile heatsinks. And this is all causing a lot of headaches for PC builders. It's shame that these purely decorative covers are breaking compatibility with numerous coolers. I've previously made both SilverStone and Noctua aware of the problem.

taylorj3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 06:46:24 PM »
I was able to bend the cooler and get plenty of clearance.  Thank you!  I did try taking that heatsink off the board, but it was covering some chips so I figured leaving it off wasn't a good idea.  Looks like this new cooler has quite a bit more clearance to the PSU than the other one, too.  Love the build guide!  I have been using Macs for quite awhile, and it's been years since I built a PC.  So useful!  This build is for a portable VR gaming machine.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
I was able to bend the cooler and get plenty of clearance.  Thank you!  I did try taking that heatsink off the board, but it was covering some chips so I figured leaving it off wasn't a good idea.  Looks like this new cooler has quite a bit more clearance to the PSU than the other one, too.  Love the build guide!  I have been using Macs for quite awhile, and it's been years since I built a PC.  So useful!  This build is for a portable VR gaming machine.

Great to hear that worked! And yeah, the Noctua NH-L12S is just 70mm tall, versus 83mm for the SilverStone NT06-Pro, so you get a lot more clearance between it and the power supply. That provides more space for air to move, and the other benefit is that the fan on the NH-L12S is much quieter. The trade-off is that it's offset a little closer to the motherboard heatsinks, which is what you found, but actually you're the first reader to say it didn't fit. A number of other readers have tried it and it worked. My guess is that manufacturing tolerances are off enough that it couldn't quite clear with your sample. That's how close it is!

In any event, sounds like you'll be up and running soon enough. Enjoy!