Author Topic: New Build - Slow OS on SSD  (Read 87 times)

Define

• View Profile
New Build - Slow OS on SSD
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »
Hey Guys,

I have just completed the Silverstone Small Form Factor PC. Love the size I really do! Thanks for the guide as well it came in really handy.

My question relates to OS freezing and taking time to process general requests. Playing games it runs without any hiccups but doing any form of file transfers or even changing settings in Windows 10 I get a frozen PC every so often. I have tried to find guides on what to do but I don't seem to be able to get rid of the lag. Any ideas?

SSD: Samsung Evo Plus 1tb m.2 slot
Ram: 16gb
Processor: i7 Coffee Lake

Thanks for any help

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Build - Slow OS on SSD
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:26:10 PM »
Hey Guys,

I have just completed the Silverstone Small Form Factor PC. Love the size I really do! Thanks for the guide as well it came in really handy.

My question relates to OS freezing and taking time to process general requests. Playing games it runs without any hiccups but doing any form of file transfers or even changing settings in Windows 10 I get a frozen PC every so often. I have tried to find guides on what to do but I don't seem to be able to get rid of the lag. Any ideas?

SSD: Samsung Evo Plus 1tb m.2 slot
Ram: 16gb
Processor: i7 Coffee Lake

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Define!

At the outset, I should mention is that the slowdowns you are experiencing may not be related to the SSD. Changing a setting in Windows 10 places virtually no load on the SSD, so a slowdown there could indicate a different bottleneck. Hang ups during file transfers, on the other hand, would point to the SSD. So let's start there, but keep open the option of broader trouble-shooting.

The Samsung Evo Plus 1TB SSD is an incredibly fast drive, so slowdowns are certainly surprising.
As a preliminary question, did you by any chance clone a Windows installation from a previous system, or is this a fresh install of the OS?

Assuming it's a fresh install, the next step would be to ensure that you have the Samsung NVMe drivers installed. You can download them direct from Samsung. While you're on the site, you should also download Samsung Magician, which will allow you to benchmark the drive to determine its performance, as well as to optimize Windows settings.

Once you've taken these steps, report back with results and we'll go from there.

Define

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:45:11 AM »
@Ari Thanks for the warm welcome!

So to answer you questions.

It was a new installtion. I did not wipe the drive when I installed just loaded to the OS straight to it when I started.

Installed both the Magican and the NVMe drivers. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for on the performance test?

Thanks Ari

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:22:40 AM »
@Ari Thanks for the warm welcome!

So to answer you questions.

It was a new installtion. I did not wipe the drive when I installed just loaded to the OS straight to it when I started.

Installed both the Magican and the NVMe drivers. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for on the performance test?

Thanks Ari

Just run the performance test and report the numbers. I'll be able to tell if there's something wrong with the SSD. Generally speaking, you're looking for results in the sequential test of at least 3000MB/s read, 2000MB/s write.