Author Topic: The right fit - HTPC  (Read 1121 times)

gaspic

• View Profile
The right fit - HTPC
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
Hi There - I am interested in building an HTPC based on the $750 vs $1250 guide. I'm not sure if I need the high end one. I will only be using it to stream HD Netflix and play movie files, upwards of 30GB mkv's. Would the $750 HTPC do the job for me?

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The right fit - HTPC
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »
Hi There - I am interested in building an HTPC based on the $750 vs $1250 guide. I'm not sure if I need the high end one. I will only be using it to stream HD Netflix and play movie files, upwards of 30GB mkv's. Would the $750 HTPC do the job for me?

Thanks!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, gaspic!

Great question on picking the right HTPC. The $750 Build will have no trouble with the tasks you describe, but is limited in one way: it cannot stream 4K Netflix video, due to a driver limitation. If you want 4K in addition to standard HD (1080p), you'll want to go with the $1,250 Build, which uses an add-in Nvidia video card that can handle the 4K streams.

Alas, there are some more very specific requirements for Netflix 4K, as follows:

- Microsoft Edge browser or Netflix app from the Windows Store (not Chrome)
- Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (10.0.16299 Build 16299 or newer)

All these limitations have to do with content protection, not a physical issue with the hardware (AMD or Nvidia). So your MKVs will be fine regardless of resolution.

gaspic

• View Profile
Re: The right fit - HTPC
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
That's great - thanks Ari for your feedback and work on putting these guides together!!! Once I get the build together I'll report back.