Author Topic: TBG's Investigation of PC Lighting in the Addressable RGB Age (2019)  (Read 1436 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Comments or questions regarding our written or video coverage on PC Lighting in the Addressable ARGB Age? Post them here!

Secret

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Investigation of PC Lighting in the Addressable RGB Age (2019)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »
I added some new strip lighting to my build and bought the phanteks motherboard adapter.  It took a dremel and a little modding but it was worth it to have the case lights and all controlled from one program.  While I'm not at the point where rgbs would make or break a purchase, I don't mind the addition.  Especially now that computers have become, at least for me, almost like a focal point in my office; I want them to look interesting.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
I added some new strip lighting to my build and bought the phanteks motherboard adapter.  It took a dremel and a little modding but it was worth it to have the case lights and all controlled from one program.  While I'm not at the point where rgbs would make or break a purchase, I don't mind the addition.  Especially now that computers have become, at least for me, almost like a focal point in my office; I want them to look interesting.

Totally agreed that PC aesthetics have improved enough that you can show them off, and a little bit of lighting goes a long way! Why did you have to dremel your case to get the strips in?

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
No not the case!  The adapter cable that connects to the motherboard rgb pins had too large of a connector where it didn't fit on the pins correctly. So I just had to dremel the connector end down a bit.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »
No not the case!  The adapter cable that connects to the motherboard rgb pins had too large of a connector where it didn't fit on the pins correctly. So I just had to dremel the connector end down a bit.

Oh, yes, you stumbled upon one of my major pet peeves - multiple RGB connector standards. That has really made things much more difficult than they should be, but when you have a lot of cooks in the kitchen, this is what results. The interesting thing I learned recently from a light strip manufacturer in the PC space is that while the 4-pin connector is PC-specific, there was already a very functional standard in the RGB industry before PC component manufacturers ever took notice, and some of the interconnects between RGB light strips and the 4-pin adapters use that universal standard. It's a shame it wasn't just adopted across the board, and quite literally on the (mother)board.