Author Topic: First PC Build - Thanks TBG!  (Read 155 times)

cmoney6

• View Profile
First PC Build - Thanks TBG!
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
So after much research and spending a lot of time cruising through the guides here, I decided to take on my first PC build. I'm not a PC gamer, and I don't really do many activities that require anything high-end for crazy performance. The $500 build was what really got me started, but I had a little more to spend so I made some minor upgrades. Here's what I went with:

-Gigabyte B450 DS3H (Listed in guide) $74.99
-Ryzen 5 2400G w/ Vega Graphics (Upgrade) $139.99
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) 2400 (Upgrade) $93.99
-EVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W (Listed in guide) $39
-Cooler Master MCW-L3B3-KANN-01 MasterBox Lite 3.1 Case (Upgrade) $47.09
-ASUS VS228H-P 21.5" Full HD 1920x1080 (Read some reviews, thought it looked good for my needs. Also didn't have a monitor already.) $99.99
-TP-Link Archer PCIe Wireless WiFi (Listed in guide - this thing is awesome!) $39.99
-WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD (Listed in guide) $67.99
-Microsoft Wired Keyboard (Listed in guide) $14.96
-I was able to snag a free copy of Windows 10 Education from my school which was AWESOME. $0.00
-Logitech speakers from Best Buy, nothing fancy. $30
   Total: ~$650

I'm super happy with everything and the satisfaction is real! I took it slow and put it all together, and everything booted right up and is working great a couple days later. I like to have a ton of tabs and documents and stuff open while doing school stuff so I opted for the RAM upgrade despite most places saying that 8GB would likely be sufficient, but everything feels really fast and smooth so I'm happy with it. What do you guys think? It's a little late for changes now, but I'd love to hear any advice anyone may have moving forward. Just wanted to say thanks again TBG, you definitely helped me out.

-C

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First PC Build - Thanks TBG!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:27:40 PM »
So after much research and spending a lot of time cruising through the guides here, I decided to take on my first PC build. I'm not a PC gamer, and I don't really do many activities that require anything high-end for crazy performance. The $500 build was what really got me started, but I had a little more to spend so I made some minor upgrades. Here's what I went with:

-Gigabyte B450 DS3H (Listed in guide) $74.99
-Ryzen 5 2400G w/ Vega Graphics (Upgrade) $139.99
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) 2400 (Upgrade) $93.99
-EVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W (Listed in guide) $39
-Cooler Master MCW-L3B3-KANN-01 MasterBox Lite 3.1 Case (Upgrade) $47.09
-ASUS VS228H-P 21.5" Full HD 1920x1080 (Read some reviews, thought it looked good for my needs. Also didn't have a monitor already.) $99.99
-TP-Link Archer PCIe Wireless WiFi (Listed in guide - this thing is awesome!) $39.99
-WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD (Listed in guide) $67.99
-Microsoft Wired Keyboard (Listed in guide) $14.96
-I was able to snag a free copy of Windows 10 Education from my school which was AWESOME. $0.00
-Logitech speakers from Best Buy, nothing fancy. $30
   Total: ~$650

I'm super happy with everything and the satisfaction is real! I took it slow and put it all together, and everything booted right up and is working great a couple days later. I like to have a ton of tabs and documents and stuff open while doing school stuff so I opted for the RAM upgrade despite most places saying that 8GB would likely be sufficient, but everything feels really fast and smooth so I'm happy with it. What do you guys think? It's a little late for changes now, but I'd love to hear any advice anyone may have moving forward. Just wanted to say thanks again TBG, you definitely helped me out.

-C

Welcome to the Forum, cmoney6, and thanks so much for sharing this positive experience!

Honestly, the fact that it booted right up for you means you must have done a really thorough job building it, because most first-time builders miss a few steps here and there.

This platform will last you a long time - the 2400G is currently the fastest AMD CPU with built-in graphics, making it a very good choice for you right now. With that 500GB SSD and 16GB of RAM, your OS is going to feel fast no matter what, so no upgrades needed there.