Author Topic: GeForce 1660 ti question.  (Read 78 times)

LordDarling

• View Profile
GeForce 1660 ti question.
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
Hello.

With the new lower priced GeForce 1660 ti's I've decided maybe the best idea for me right now is to pick one up and then do a build from the ground up in a year or two.

I've seen that the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G Graphics Card, 2 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N166TWF2OC-6GD Video Card is recommended in the $1000 pc build, so of all the variants, I'd assume this is TBG's pick?

The only problem is my monitor doesn't have HDMI or Displayport 1.4.  I just have DVI, which it doesn't look like this card has.  I'd like to keep my monitor as my goal was to do one last minor upgrade to my existing rig to get me 1-2 more years before I do a full system build and buy a new monitor as well.

So my question is should I purchase an alternative?  Such as EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC GAMING, 06G-P4-1263-KR, 6GB GDDR6, HDB Fan which looks to be boosted to the same clock speed and does have a DVI port

or

Buy the Gigabyte Card and a DVI to HDMI cable?  Does that work, or do you get weird artifact lag or something like that?  Is performance lost in the translation process?

Thank you.  If a TBG mod sees this and provides links I can buy through places where you get credit.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GeForce 1660 ti question.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
Hello.

With the new lower priced GeForce 1660 ti's I've decided maybe the best idea for me right now is to pick one up and then do a build from the ground up in a year or two.

I've seen that the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G Graphics Card, 2 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6, GV-N166TWF2OC-6GD Video Card is recommended in the $1000 pc build, so of all the variants, I'd assume this is TBG's pick?

The only problem is my monitor doesn't have HDMI or Displayport 1.4.  I just have DVI, which it doesn't look like this card has.  I'd like to keep my monitor as my goal was to do one last minor upgrade to my existing rig to get me 1-2 more years before I do a full system build and buy a new monitor as well.

So my question is should I purchase an alternative?  Such as EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC GAMING, 06G-P4-1263-KR, 6GB GDDR6, HDB Fan which looks to be boosted to the same clock speed and does have a DVI port

or

Buy the Gigabyte Card and a DVI to HDMI cable?  Does that work, or do you get weird artifact lag or something like that?  Is performance lost in the translation process?

Thank you.  If a TBG mod sees this and provides links I can buy through places where you get credit.

This is a very good question, LordDarling. Here's my take on it: Nvidia has officially ended support for DVI outputs. The most advanced outputs for PC use are DisplayPorts, which is why you see multiple such ports on cards like the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce. The second best is HDMI 2.0, and Nvidia's reference design includes one of these as well, as used on the Gigabyte. My hunch is that EVGA is actually cutting costs by equipping its GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC Gaming. For this reason, and the incredibly-awkward triple-slot, single-fan cooling system, which is the worst of all worlds, it will never be recommended on TBG.

It would be much better for you to buy a video card with proper modern ports and then use an adapter cable, like this Amazon Basics HDMI-to-DVI cable. This cable is bi-directional, so it will work with an HDMI input or output (in your case, you have an HDMI output). Note that I've linked to the 3-foot cable, but you should choose whichever length you need.

In the long run, you will appreciate having more DisplayPort outputs, which can support the highest resolutions displays (DVI is limited to 2560 x 1600).

You can use the links above to provide credit to the Forum - thanks for mentioning that!

LordDarling

• View Profile
Re: GeForce 1660 ti question.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:57:09 PM »
Thank you Ari, you're always so helpful!