Author Topic: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 windforce 8G changed to MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ventus 8  (Read 2081 times)

DrTroy

• View Profile
Hi,

I have been following the The $2,500 Ultra-Extreme Mini-ITX PC build list, nearly have everything however I just noticed the graphics card has changed.
Will the "Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 windforce 8G" still fit?

Cheers

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have been following the The $2,500 Ultra-Extreme Mini-ITX PC build list, nearly have everything however I just noticed the graphics card has changed.
Will the "Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 windforce 8G" still fit?

Cheers

Hey there DrTroy, thanks for checking in!

The reason the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB Ventus was substituted in was that the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Windforce 8G has been out of stock for weeks. These two models are by far the best base-priced RTX 2080 cards available, and they both go out of stock constantly. People are definitely a lot more excited about paying $700 for an RTX 2080 than $800+!

Luckily, the RTX 2080 Windforce appears to be coming back in stock later this week (and the Ventus is now sold out), so yes, just go ahead and order the WindForce. It will easily fit in this build.

DrTroy

• View Profile
Great thanks, one other question, the SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB comes with two fans, one is under the graphics card.

Would you recommend removing this fan? It looks like you can have two, one side by side...? However would it interfere with the graphics card fans?

cheers

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great thanks, one other question, the SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB comes with two fans, one is under the graphics card.

Would you recommend removing this fan? It looks like you can have two, one side by side...? However would it interfere with the graphics card fans?

cheers

You'll need to remove the fan that comes pre-installed above the CPU area and move it to the GPU side. As long as you use a dual-slot video card like the one recommended in the guide, you can run the two fans right above it.

DrTroy

• View Profile
Okay, so the motherboard has 3 fan sockets, 1 for the CPU, this leaves 2 for 3 case fans.

Would I be okay running the two pre-installed case fans from 1 connector using a Y splitter? (no overload?)
And the remaining connector for the Scythe SY1212SL12M above the cooler.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Okay, so the motherboard has 3 fan sockets, 1 for the CPU, this leaves 2 for 3 case fans.

Would I be okay running the two pre-installed case fans from 1 connector using a Y splitter? (no overload?)
And the remaining connector for the Scythe SY1212SL12M above the cooler.

Yes, you can use a Y-splitter, and in fact SilverStone includes one because most ITX motherboards only have two headers. Once you move the second SilverStone from the CPU area to the GPU area, you'll put the two SilverStone fans on the splitter, and plug the Scythe fan into its own header.

DrTroy

• View Profile
Brill thanks for the fast reply, just checked and yes I have the splitter thanks

Check out the size of the cooler ha, I wasn't sure how to attach pictures so I used imgur
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:27:13 PM by DrTroy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
To post the images here, you just right-click on the image on Imgur to get the image address, and then post it here using the image tool in the toolbar.

I updated your post with those links, the only problem is that that images are huge and don't fit on the screen!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
By the way, watch out for how you orient that cooler. You don't want it covering the PCIe slot like it is in the photo! The way you have the Noctua brackets attached right now isn't going to work. You need to turn them 90 degrees.

DrTroy

• View Profile

Hi sorry about the massive size, the angle doesn't show it properly
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:25:31 PM by DrTroy »

DrTroy

• View Profile
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:13:55 AM by DrTroy »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great tip on the image sizes, thanks for finding that.

So is that Noctua mounted? It's quite a bit more offset than in your first photo, obviously allowing you to use the PCIe slot. But I can't tell if it's bolted down.

DrTroy

• View Profile
It's mounted, below is without the PCIe carrier in situ.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great - glad that worked. Do you have the video card or are you still waiting on it?

DrTroy

• View Profile
Hi I just have the M.2, Scythe fan and GPU on order. M.2 arriving today, although have my cooler fitted, hoping I can eeek it in.

I'm not sure whether to remove the sticker off the M.2 was going to create a separate forum entry question on that?