Author Topic: $2000 Build vs HP Envy 750se desktop.  (Read 3997 times)

Kevjurr

• View Profile
$2000 Build vs HP Envy 750se desktop.
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »
Hi all,
I've been planning on building a desktop for some time now, both for media and gaming use. After a bit of browsing I decided to build the $2000 build currently listed, and following the links on Amazon. I decided however to do a quick search for pre-built desktops with 980ti's and came across this article,
http://www.techbargains.com/deal/386745/hp-envy-750se. After customizing, it looks like I can get the desktop with the 980 TI, 512GB ssd, 16gb ram, and better version i7-6700K for $1352.49. I was just wondering how this desktop would compare to the $2000 build, and what compromises, if any, I'd be making to save the ~$600.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $2000 Build vs HP Envy 750se desktop.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »
Hi all,
I've been planning on building a desktop for some time now, both for media and gaming use. After a bit of browsing I decided to build the $2000 build currently listed, and following the links on Amazon. I decided however to do a quick search for pre-built desktops with 980ti's and came across this article,
http://www.techbargains.com/deal/386745/hp-envy-750se. After customizing, it looks like I can get the desktop with the 980 TI, 512GB ssd, 16gb ram, and better version i7-6700K for $1352.49. I was just wondering how this desktop would compare to the $2000 build, and what compromises, if any, I'd be making to save the ~$600.

Thanks in advance for any responses

That's a really good deal you found. Almost seems like it would have to be a price mistake, as it comes in at only the cost of the video card, CPU, SSD, and RAM.

But here's the problem: it's a bit "too good to be true." Everything else in that system is pretty much worthless. The case is small and unventilated, which will lead the 980 Ti to overheat, the motherboard is almost certainly a cheap H110 or B150 model that does not allow overclocking of the CPU, the RAM is far too slow to use with a 6700K processor, and the power supply will be hot-running, loud, and inefficient, and barely adequate to run a 980 Ti. And 512GB of storage is not enough for a truly high-end system.

That being said, if you wanted to experiment, you could buy the system, strip it of its valuable parts, and then put them together with parts that are properly matched for a gaming system.

Kevjurr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
"Too good to be true" is exactly what I was thinking, along with your other points. The 500w PS w/ a 980ti and 6700k made me a little nervous. Stripping for parts was also an idea but I think having the customer support on something as expensive as a 980ti from EVGA along with the assurance I'm getting the best possible product and peace of mind in case of failures are worth the money spent, along with knowing exactly how and when I'll need to upgrade my system in the future. Looks like I'm back to Amazon. Thanks for the reply!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
"Too good to be true" is exactly what I was thinking, along with your other points. The 500w PS w/ a 980ti and 6700k made me a little nervous. Stripping for parts was also an idea but I think having the customer support on something as expensive as a 980ti from EVGA along with the assurance I'm getting the best possible product and peace of mind in case of failures are worth the money spent, along with knowing exactly how and when I'll need to upgrade my system in the future. Looks like I'm back to Amazon. Thanks for the reply!

In the end, it will cost the same, and you won't have to deal with dismantling the HP system and reassembling its parts with others you'd need to buy. As an FYI, I read through some of the user reviews on the HP site, and there were some complaints about the GTX 970 option running too hot and loud in that case. The GTX 980 Ti uses twice as much power... I can't really imagine how HP mistakenly listed it as an option for that PC.