Author Topic: Problems with Dec 2018 $3,500 Mastercooler H500M Case  (Read 1343 times)

Todzilla

• View Profile
Problems with Dec 2018 $3,500 Mastercooler H500M Case
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:07:21 PM »
Hi Ari,

I went with that one month only Dec 18 recent build and bought most the items using your links, except for the Coolermaster Mastercooler H500M which I askled and received for Christmas.  :D   I love the case, but unfortunately, I can see why you shifted away from that case for Jan 2019 and on, as there are several issues I had building my first PC with the Z390 motherboard.

- The H500M case is not compatible with the Z390 Aorus Ultra with only one plug-in for the H500M cases two front USB plugs
- The Z390 is not ARGB plug friendly at all, with no adapters.  I was able to get the fans to work, but with no ARGB lights on   
   the front and rear fan/s
- I was not able to get the graphics card arm to support the fan without hitting the Zotac GeoForce 2080 TI fan on the end.
- The cables for the case that had both an ASUS and Gigabyte cable, yet, the Gigabyte cable din't fit anything on the Gigabyte Motherboard (Unless I am missing something) so I used the ASUS one on the #9 plug on the board, but it's loose and keeps falling off.

I was wondering if you had some work arounds and if there was a way to keep this case rather than pay the frieght to ship this big box back as a return, and go with a different high end ATX motherboard suggestion capable of a 64 Gig Ram upgrade, two USB plugins, ARGB compatible, or any suggestions for work arounds even it it meant more money for that.  I seem to have everything working okay, but I do keep getting a D3 and D4 on startup if I do not hit the Enter Key on BIOS startup or a Function Key.  I think if I disable BIOS on startup everytime, it would probably be fine at least for now.

Any suggestions for some fixes or recommendations?  As I said, I do love the case and prefer not to ship it back.

Thanks,

Todd

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Dec 2018 $3,500 Mastercooler H500M Case
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Todzilla!

I'm not sure all of those are problems, more like features, LOL!

(1) USB: Here's the issue with the H500M - it's WAY head of its time, and so the fact that it has four USB 3.0 ports plus a USB Type-C port isn't a "problem" so much as it's something to just live with until the next generation, because it would have cost an extra $100 to get a motherboard with enough USB 3.0 headers to support it. In the meantime, you can convert two of the USB 3.0 ports to USB 2.0 ports using this adapter. But yes, this issue is one of the reasons I dropped the H500M from the guide.

(2) RGB: You mention both that the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra motherboard isn't ARGB friendly (which it is - the ARGB header is in the lower-left corner, labeled D_LED1), but also that you connected the RGB cables (which ARGB fans don't use). I'm honestly a bit confused about what you're plugging in where, so make sure you find the 3-pin cables connected to the front fans and try plugging them into the ARGB header.

(3) GPU bracket: just don't use it. Sort of a silly concept anyway, for the very reason you pointed out.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 09:03:59 PM »
Quick follow-up: among the issues you raised, the most serious is actually the startup issue. Fixing that would take some troubleshooting, and it doesn't have anything to do with the case, so we'd have to focus in on the motherboard.

With that said, if you actually want everything on your case to work with the motherboard, the board to get is the Asus Z390 Maximus Code. It has absolutely everything you want (two USB 3.0 headers, a USB Type-C header and the most compatible RGB headers and software on the market).

Todzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 06:57:49 AM »
Thanks Ari, I'll work on that, and get that cable where it needs to go this weekend.  I really appreciate the suggestions and guidance.  You are right, with that case, I am not really worried about two less USB's, but I will probably get that adapter at some point, and the graphics card sits fine enough without that adjustable lever. 

Thanks for the guidance and the links, I'll circle back around and let you know how it goes.  There is nothing like putting your own super computer together!  :)

Todzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
Hi Ari,I am now all set with this Dec 2018 build and 100% love the CoolerMaster MasterCooler H500M.  You are correct, there aren't really problems with this advanced case with the Z390 Aorus Ultra, for me it was just deciphering the Coolermaster manual, access to technical support (they say its online, but you have to register to access it, but then there's really no additional help there), calling customer support kept going to voice mail with the phone automatically disconnecting before I could leave a message.  Once I got through and talked to them a couple times by selecting the Sales #5 prompt instead of the #1 Customer Support one, they put a live person on the phone and helped me solve my front lighting issue.

I am writing this to thank you and Tech Guru, and also if this helps anyone else with what I went through.

For someone like me building my first Gaming PC 100% by myself, it was very frustrating figuring out the different types of connectors on this case compared to others in youtube etc….  As a noob dealing with these tedious differences, every forum and youtube video says don’t plug a 5v connection into a 12v power plug, so I was worried about plugging straight into power supply).  It didn't make sense to me at first to just plug three prong female plugs ( { … } ) into four prong male connections minus one prong ( that look like this {.. .}, only using three out of the four positions.  On these and some other connections that are three prongs, it took me forever to figure out that there are actually plastic blocks or guides on the connectors to allow this to only connect these to the proper 3 out of 4 prongs in a way to make sure the proper connections are made regardless. 

I was so focused on figuring out the ARGB in and out plugs, that I couldn’t figure out why the lights on the front fans wouldn’t light up, yet the fans would work.  From talking to Coolermaster, I found out that the side panel SATA plug needed to be plugged in and powered as well for the FRONT LIGHTS to work.  Because there is a cable that specifically also goes to the USB 2.0 plug on the motherboard, and the in and out ARGB seemed to be hooked up fine,  I thought it was properly powered.  If anyone has the same issue on correct location for the plug-ins for the 3-1 cables etc..., with the Z390 Aorus Ultra reach out to me. 

My motherboard is also showing AO (A-Okay) all the time.  I am very happy with the results, now I just need to figure out all these software programs and the Thermaltake 360 controller settings. ☺
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:56:44 AM by Todzilla »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:10:02 AM »
Hi Ari,I am now all set with this Dec 2018 build and 100% love the CoolerMaster MasterCooler H500M.  You are correct, there aren't really problems with this advanced case with the Z390 Aorus Ultra, for me it was just deciphering the Coolermaster manual, access to technical support (they say its online, but you have to register to access it, but then there's really no additional help there), calling customer support kept going to voice mail with the phone automatically disconnecting before I could leave a message.  Once I got through and talked to them a couple times by selecting the Sales #5 prompt instead of the #1 Customer Support one, they put a live person on the phone and helped me solve my front lighting issue.

I am writing this to thank you and Tech Guru, and also if this helps anyone else with what I went through.

For someone like me building my first Gaming PC 100% by myself, it was very frustrating figuring out the different types of connectors on this case compared to others in youtube etc….  As a noob dealing with these tedious differences, every forum and youtube video says don’t plug a 5v connection into a 12v power plug, so I was worried about plugging straight into power supply).  It didn't make sense to me at first to just plug three prong female plugs ( { … } ) into four prong male connections minus one prong ( that look like this {.. .}, only using three out of the four positions.  On these and some other connections that are three prongs, it took me forever to figure out that there are actually plastic blocks or guides on the connectors to allow this to only connect these to the proper 3 out of 4 prongs in a way to make sure the proper connections are made regardless. 

I was so focused on figuring out the ARGB in and out plugs, that I couldn’t figure out why the lights on the front fans wouldn’t light up, yet the fans would work.  From talking to Coolermaster, I found out that the side panel SATA plug needed to be plugged in and powered as well for the FRONT LIGHTS to work.  Because there is a cable that specifically also goes to the USB 2.0 plug on the motherboard, and the in and out ARGB seemed to be hooked up fine,  I thought it was properly powered.  If anyone has the same issue on correct location for the plug-ins for the 3-1 cables etc..., with the Z390 Aorus Ultra reach out to me. 

My motherboard is also showing AO (A-Okay) all the time.  I am very happy with the results, now I just need to figure out all these software programs and the Thermaltake 360 controller settings. ☺

This is great to hear, Todzilla!

I'm actually in the process of filming a series of high-end PC assembly videos, touching on all the aspects of putting together a modern PC. The issue of the RGB and ARGB connections, plus supplemental power they may need, is one I'll make sure to highlight in the videos with your experience in mind.