Author Topic: ULTRA-EXTREME MINI-ITX PC  (Read 1582 times)

crystalsingingbowls@gmail

• View Profile
ULTRA-EXTREME MINI-ITX PC
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
ULTRA-EXTREME MINI-ITX PC
Just finished the build, used all as recommended.
Windows 10 Home edition, version 1803,installed 2019-01-21 OS build 17124.556
Can't install the graphics card.
RTX2080: This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows.

I've had luck with GeForce Experience before, but I can't even install it this time. It doesn't see the unit at all.
All suggestions welcome, but please make them simple to understand. Thank you

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ULTRA-EXTREME MINI-ITX PC
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, crystalsingingbowls!

I can suggest a few tips to get your RTX 2080 recognized. First, it's clear you've loaded up Windows and the system is running, which is a very good sign. Good work getting this far!

The first thing to check is to type "display" into the Windows search bar, and you'll see an option pop up called "change display settings". Click on that, then scroll down to find an option called "Advanced display settings." In small print, you'll see what "Display 1" is connected to. It will either say Intel UHD Graphics or GeForce RTX 2080.

Now, if the RTX 2080 isn't listed, here are the things to troubleshoot: is your monitor cable connected to the back of your video card, or is it connected to the back of the motherboard? Both have ports that can be used for video output, but you'll need your monitor connected to the video card's outputs to make it run off the video card.

Second question: did you connect the power cables to the RTX 2080? It requires both an 8-pin connector and a 6-pin connector to be properly powered up.

If the RTX 2080 is listed, but you aren't able to install drivers (as you stated), make sure you downloaded the version for Windows 10 64-bit. Also make extra sure that you have the 64-bit version of Windows 10 installed. You can do this by typing "System" into the Windows search bar and selecting the System control panel. Check that 64-bit is listed under the System Type.

Report back on what you find - there will definitely be a solution, so we just have to pinpoint the problem!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
Thanks for the fast response.
1. The RTX2080 is not listed as an option.
2. The monitor wasn't connected because when I connect it the monitor says no input and goes blank. So just to check, I have rebooted with the hdmi in the back of the card. no luck. So I've removed the hdmi from card and put back in motherboard. It works.
3. Power cables, Initially I did not have the 6pin connected, but now it is. That being said, is it correct? I think so and I was very careful to check that they were solid. However, as it is not showing up I think that this may be the problem. I checked the schematics for the mother board but I may have done it incorrectly.
I'm going to unplug and check again. Any hints?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Here is the connections;
The cable  attached to the RTX2080 has an 8 pin and a 6 pin on one end and an 8 pin on the other end. I have plugged the end with both 8 pin & 6 pin into the RTX2080 and the other end (8 pin) into the power supply.
Does this need a separate 6 pin to a 6 pin?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »
Here is the connections;
The cable  attached to the RTX2080 has an 8 pin and a 6 pin on one end and an 8 pin on the other end. I have plugged the end with both 8 pin & 6 pin into the RTX2080 and the other end (8 pin) into the power supply.
Does this need a separate 6 pin to a 6 pin?

It sounds like you now have this correct. You did need the 6-pin connector attached to the video card, and not having it would have prevented it from powering up. If you are running off the motherboard video, you will not be able to install the Nvidia drivers, so that was your issue. Once your RTx 2080 is properly powered up, you'll be able to install the drivers. You do not need a separate cable for the 6-pin, you just need both "branches" (8-pin and 6-pin) that come off of the single cable from the power supply plugged into the video card.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
So I opened it up and took off the 8pin power to the mother board video 8 pin.
The RXT2080 8/6pin is attached to 8pin power

Now I don't have any monitor  at all. When I had power to the motherboard, I could use the monitor but couldn't use the RXT.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:40:54 PM by crystalsingingbowls@gmail »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
So I opened it up and took off the 8pin power to the mother board video 8 pin.
The RXT2080 8/6pin is attached to 8pin power

Now I don't have any monitor  at all. When I had power to the motherboard, I could use the monitor but couldn't use the RXT.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough in the steps. You don't want to remove power from the motherboard, you want to remove your HDMI cable from the motherboard's rear port, and attach the HDMI cable to the video card's output.

You must at all times maintain all power supply connections to the motherboard (there are two) and the video card (again, there are two).

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
so this is back to where I began, I have a 24 pin and an 8 pin from mother board to power 24 pin and 8 pin
and
I have the 6/8 pins to the 8 pin power
No monitor

shut it down, unplugged it and restarted it.
no input detected from either hdmi

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »
In your original post, it sounded like you were in windows, but now you have no image in your display at all? It seems things are actually a bit different, and my bet is because you had the monitor connected to the motherboard HDMI output the first time, and now you're connected to the video card, which appears to still be malfunctioning. Let's get you back into Windows 10 by connecting the monitor to the motherboard.

I'm something if there is an issue with the way you connected the PCIe riser slot that allows the video card to the motherboard. Remove the video card entirely from the system so you can ensure that the riser is properly inserted and affixed with screws.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 05:22:50 AM »
I shut it down and unplugged everything. This morning when I used the motherboard hdmi it booted to windows correctly.
I shut it down changed to the RTX hdmi, no monitor.
I shut it down changed to motherboard hdmi and it booted to windows.
So... yes you are correct, the issue is with the RTX.
I have removed and reset the RTX at least 10x to check that the power cables are set and that the riser slot has locked.
I currently have it attached to the motherboard hdmi. I've just tried the display port restarted and it is ok.
Any other ideas to get the RTX recognized?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
I shut it down and unplugged everything. This morning when I used the motherboard hdmi it booted to windows correctly.
I shut it down changed to the RTX hdmi, no monitor.
I shut it down changed to motherboard hdmi and it booted to windows.
So... yes you are correct, the issue is with the RTX.
I have removed and reset the RTX at least 10x to check that the power cables are set and that the riser slot has locked.
I currently have it attached to the motherboard hdmi. I've just tried the display port restarted and it is ok.
Any other ideas to get the RTX recognized?

Another thing you can check is whether the card is getting any power. Do you see either the fans spinning or the lights turning on at any point during the boot process? If so, it's more likely that this is a data connection issue than a power connection issue, and the cause could be either a failure at the motherboard slot or a failure of the case's riser card.

Do you happen to have another video card you can test with, even a very old one? This would help rule out a defect in the RTX 2080.

To test whether its the riser card that's at fault, you could remove the motherboard from the case, plug the video card into it directly, and power on the system with the motherboard sitting on a non-conductive material (like a cardboard box). This of course would be a lot of work, but it would be worth trying before returning any products.

In the meantime, I'm going to check with my contact at SilverStone to see if he's ever seen failures of SilverStone's riser card that would cause this situation.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 07:38:48 PM »
As an FYI, SilverStone confirmed for me that the failure rate for their riser cards is less than 0.1%, but is higher than 0. They would of course support any purchaser in getting it fixed if that's the problem. One suggestion they made was to provide photos of your setup, so that any potential connection errors could be identified. If you'd like, you can send photos of your setup to theguru@techbuyersguru.com, and I'll take a look at them, and could also pass them onto SilverStone if necessary.

With all that said, it's more likely that a motherboard would cause this issue than the riser card. The least likely culprit is the video card. A complete failure to output video just doesn't happen with high-end cards.