Author Topic: TBG's $2,500 Extreme 4K Gaming PC Build  (Read 32691 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's $2,500 Extreme 4K Gaming PC Build
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
Here's the thread for discussion of the $2,500 Extreme 4K Gaming PC Build.

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $2,500 Extreme 4K Gaming PC Build
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »
Hello, I do not know for sure if I'm posting this in the correct location.. I'm looking to build a pc, Id like a little help if anyone could and would be willing to. I know I want a very capable rig, I plan to game on it, I also dabble in Photoshop and video editing a little, I watch and may stream twitch.tv. I know I want 2 monitors. I really like and would prefer I build this PC in a Phantom NZXT case(white n red) I began wanting to keep the build under 2000 but am willing to pay more if I  find it worth it... Let me know what you all would build w the budget of 1.800-2800 preferably in a Phantom NZXT

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Hello, I do not know for sure if I'm posting this in the correct location.. I'm looking to build a pc, Id like a little help if anyone could and would be willing to. I know I want a very capable rig, I plan to game on it, I also dabble in Photoshop and video editing a little, I watch and may stream twitch.tv. I know I want 2 monitors. I really like and would prefer I build this PC in a Phantom NZXT case(white n red) I began wanting to keep the build under 2000 but am willing to pay more if I  find it worth it... Let me know what you all would build w the budget of 1.800-2800 preferably in a Phantom NZXT

Hey there, Itsskrazy! It sounds like your main use is gaming, followed by Photoshop and video editing. You haven't mentioned the resolution of your two monitors, but assuming they are 2560x1440 or under, and that you'll just be gaming on one of them at a time, the $2,500 Build is probably more than you need. I'd suggest you go with all the parts in the $2,500 Build, but drop down to a single GTX 980 and a single 512GB SSD plus 3GB hard drive, as listed in the $2,000 Build. You'll save about $150 or so, and the single card will be easier to install, it will run cooler, and will use far less power. Plus you'll have plenty of hard drive space for video storage.

You'll still get all the advantages of the Core i7-5820K six-core processor and 16GB of fast DDR4 RAM,  which will help a lot in Photoshop, video editing, and twitch.tv streaming.

And just to confirm, yes, you can build this in the NZXT Phantom, which is a very stylish case.

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
Hey, thanks for getting back to me. I don't mean to imply you wrong or not knowing what I want, I just would like to clarify, and these are things I know nothing of and my common sense seems to want me to ask. One, will dropping to one graph card mean I won't get the performance in both monitors? I want both monitors to run optimal graphics and frame rate... Again is only one ssd going to affect that? N somethin else w ssd... My understanding is it is part of the team that will help ... Processing¿ speed..? Constantly having Multi running programs... Basically, I get, EXTREMELY, irritated with slow, poor runnin, pop up riddled, 20 min boot up type computers and am very much willing to pay to keep mine running as quick and smooth as possible... I do know a large part of that is to keep the PC clean as far as programs downloads n having security programs. I'll do my part but want to know my computer is capible. I hope I make sense, and I love that you're giving me options and did routs n tryin to save a lil money, but I don't know a lot about stuff and am the type to want to know before I make a move. So again, all suggestions welcomed and thanked for.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
Hey, thanks for getting back to me. I don't mean to imply you wrong or not knowing what I want, I just would like to clarify, and these are things I know nothing of and my common sense seems to want me to ask. One, will dropping to one graph card mean I won't get the performance in both monitors? I want both monitors to run optimal graphics and frame rate... Again is only one ssd going to affect that? N somethin else w ssd... My understanding is it is part of the team that will help ... Processing¿ speed..? Constantly having Multi running programs... Basically, I get, EXTREMELY, irritated with slow, poor runnin, pop up riddled, 20 min boot up type computers and am very much willing to pay to keep mine running as quick and smooth as possible... I do know a large part of that is to keep the PC clean as far as programs downloads n having security programs. I'll do my part but want to know my computer is capible. I hope I make sense, and I love that you're giving me options and did routs n tryin to save a lil money, but I don't know a lot about stuff and am the type to want to know before I make a move. So again, all suggestions welcomed and thanked for.

Don't worry - if you use parts from either $2,000 Build or the $2,500 Build, you will have a very fast computer, with nearly-instant boot times and extreme graphics performance. You can run two monitors off of a single video card, but you won't want to game across both monitors at the same time - the center of the screen will then be a monitor bezel and won't work for games.

If you're new to building high-end PCs, I strongly recommend you go with the $2,000 Build - it has very good performance for your needs, and is much easier to build than the $2,500 Build. Using water cooling, two video cards, and two SSDs in RAID0 is an advanced configuration that requires a lot more time to put together. I personally run the $2,000 Build as my benchmarking PC and am very happy with it.

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Thanks again for the quick response. Yeah I def wouldn't be gaming both monitors at once, mostly want the second for twitch related and also so while gaming I can still use my computer for whatever I may want or need. I hear you on the "if it's your first build" but again, no offense intended nor none taken but I'm very competent in electronics n general "building/repairing" as long as I have instruction for any non obvious steps I feel 100% I could handle it. Infact my occupation is in building and repairing anything from industrial AC motors, DC motors, pumps, control and electrical boxes, generators, transformers etc. I do thank you for lookin out n your concerns. But with that said, I'm not against Savin money if I'm lookin at getting way too powerful of a rig... But as much as I like to save money, I'm not tight on money when purchasing something I want... If that makes sense. Buy is there Anyway you can somehow elaborate .. Like what do you lose dropping to the 2000 build.. And if you could, keep it in a more ... Where it would stop performing¿ type explination... Like not just specs I lose but what I can't do or handle compared To the 2500?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
Thanks again for the quick response. Yeah I def wouldn't be gaming both monitors at once, mostly want the second for twitch related and also so while gaming I can still use my computer for whatever I may want or need. I hear you on the "if it's your first build" but again, no offense intended nor none taken but I'm very competent in electronics n general "building/repairing" as long as I have instruction for any non obvious steps I feel 100% I could handle it. Infact my occupation is in building and repairing anything from industrial AC motors, DC motors, pumps, control and electrical boxes, generators, transformers etc. I do thank you for lookin out n your concerns. But with that said, I'm not against Savin money if I'm lookin at getting way too powerful of a rig... But as much as I like to save money, I'm not tight on money when purchasing something I want... If that makes sense. Buy is there Anyway you can somehow elaborate .. Like what do you lose dropping to the 2000 build.. And if you could, keep it in a more ... Where it would stop performing¿ type explination... Like not just specs I lose but what I can't do or handle compared To the 2500?

Sounds like you'll have no problem building the $2,500 system then. Let me give you some specifics on what you gain, outside of just "specs":
(1) Running dual R9 290 video cards will typically provide 50% faster performance (frames per second) than a single GTX 980, for about $50 more. That's a huge bang-for-the-buck improvement. But the problem is that running two cards in Crossfire doesn't always work - the drivers needs to be updated for each game. For instance, Far Cry 4 doesn't currently work with Crossfire, and will default to using one card. That's just part of the deal when you're running two cards.

(2) Running two SSDs in RAID0 is extremely fast, as in transfer rates twice as fast as one SSD. But it's less secure - if one SSD fails, you lose ALL your data on both SSDs, not just the data on the one that failed. I personally wouldn't run RAID0 on a system with crucial personal data. Game installs are easy to replace, family photos, not so much.

(3) Running a six-core 5820K is actually slower in many current games versus a four-core 4790K, because it runs at 3.3GHz instead of 4GHz. But it's much better for multi-tasking, particularly streaming while gaming. Even if a game only uses four cores, you'll have two left over for streaming. If game streaming is important to you, six cores is the way to go. It's also much better for video editing and Photoshop. Plus, if you're confident in your overclocking skills, you should be able to get a 5820K to 4GHz or beyond. It won't go quite as high as a fully-overclocked 4790K, but for multi-tasking, it will still be nearly 50% faster due to having 50% more cores. Newer games also take advantage of more than four cores, and more games will do so in the future.

Hope that helps. Both systems have their pluses and minuses. Which one is right for you really comes down to your needs.

Any other questions, just ask!

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:54:20 PM »
I like go start with the fact that youre being extremely helpful! Thanks for all your time and helping me by goin me more than just specs to look at. So from what you've said I'm thinking I'll do like you said as far as the 6core instead of four, as long as you feel the "slower" Is in the sense of both being very fast, but one has to be faster... I mean as in, my games won't be SLOW just not top of the market fast? The graph cards I can't seem to make up my mind, 50$ for so much seams like a steal.. Even if not ALWAYS used... Atleast it would be there once games catch up, and or for the games that do support crossfire setups? And again... The two SSDs... The speed sounds so nice! That is a major downfall on the both crash if one does type situation... I do have external back up HDs... Would that make you feel any better with it? And in the event one were two fail, I'm to understand I'd lose all data... But could I continue with just the one til the failed was fixed?(or if I were to say, damn that kid was right... Guess I'll just use one). Again, you've been a great help. One last thing, you already insured the se up will build in a NZXT case. Will it support the two gpu n ssd set up? Would it support an adequate cooling system? (Talking about cooling, though I'm def desiring performance... I do like flashy looks [as I'm sure you picked up from the case] how much heat do LEDs in the tower produce..)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
I like go start with the fact that youre being extremely helpful! Thanks for all your time and helping me by goin me more than just specs to look at. So from what you've said I'm thinking I'll do like you said as far as the 6core instead of four, as long as you feel the "slower" Is in the sense of both being very fast, but one has to be faster... I mean as in, my games won't be SLOW just not top of the market fast? The graph cards I can't seem to make up my mind, 50$ for so much seams like a steal.. Even if not ALWAYS used... Atleast it would be there once games catch up, and or for the games that do support crossfire setups? And again... The two SSDs... The speed sounds so nice! That is a major downfall on the both crash if one does type situation... I do have external back up HDs... Would that make you feel any better with it? And in the event one were two fail, I'm to understand I'd lose all data... But could I continue with just the one til the failed was fixed?(or if I were to say, damn that kid was right... Guess I'll just use one). Again, you've been a great help. One last thing, you already insured the se up will build in a NZXT case. Will it support the two gpu n ssd set up? Would it support an adequate cooling system? (Talking about cooling, though I'm def desiring performance... I do like flashy looks [as I'm sure you picked up from the case] how much heat do LEDs in the tower produce..)

Oh, don't worry at all - the six-core 5820K will never feel slow. At its stock speed, it may be a few frames per second slower than the 4790K in some games, but in most, it will be identical, and in some it will be faster. And then once you overclock it, it will almost always beat the 4790K.

And, yes, all the components will fit in an NZXT Phantom case. Note that there are several Phantom models. For example, there's the original Phantom Full-Tower, and the Phantom 410 Mid-Tower. For your build, I'd suggest the newer Phantom 530 Full-Tower. With dual video cards, you really want the breathing room it will give you over a mid-tower. It can fit a 240mm liquid CPU cooler like the Corsair H100i spec'd in the $2,500 Build.

To make things simpler in terms of the SSD, I'd really suggest you go with the new Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - it was just announced this week, and it's incredibly fast. Plus, you get lots of storage with no need to set up RAID0.

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
Okay, so we're looking at everything the 2500 build has with the change of the 2 SSD cards to the one Samsung card, and the case to a phantom 530 full tower and the 3tb optional hard drive... Does that sound like a nice set up to you? Also you've been such help, If I may borrow your opinions on monitors? Id like 2- 24"(ish) very capable monitors..

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
Okay, so we're looking at everything the 2500 build has with the change of the 2 SSD cards to the one Samsung card, and the case to a phantom 530 full tower and the 3tb optional hard drive... Does that sound like a nice set up to you? Also you've been such help, If I may borrow your opinions on monitors? Id like 2- 24"(ish) very capable monitors..

Yes, that's exactly right. Go with the $2,500 Build, but swap in the brand-new Samsung 850 Evo (shipping next week!) in place of the two smaller Crucial MX100 512GB drives. Because you'll be doing video and photo work, definitely add a mechanical hard drive for storage - the Seagate 3TB is a great pick given current pricing. And yes, if you like the styling of the NZXT Phantom 530, it's the way to go - a better fit for this system than the smaller Phantom 410. By the way, I'm not sure if red is your style, but the Phantom 530 in red currently has a coupon available, bringing it down close to $100 - that's a steal!

As for monitors, I'm going to suggest a two-pronged approach. Since you'll be gaming on one and working on the other, you have the luxury of picking the right monitor for the right job. I recommend the BenQ 2420Z 144Hz 1080p Monitor for gaming - you simply will never go back to a standard 60Hz monitor once you've tried gaming at 144Hz. It's just way, way smoother - I have a 144Hz display and simply can't be bothered with gaming on my other monitors! For photo/video work, you'll want a 60Hz IPS display, because it will have better, more accurate colors and much better viewing angles. I recommend the new Dell Ultrasharp U2414H. It also has the advantage of a 1920x1200 resolution, giving you a bit more work space than the 1920x1080 on most 24" monitors.

Any other questions, you know what to do!

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:38:01 AM »
Niiiiice, I had planned on the red case! I'm usually one to get two identical monitors. But you've been so much help I'm definitely going to look into your suggestion! I'll also have to check that HD you've suggested too. Gonna be an expensive build, but I'm in love with it just on paper! I know I'll love my rig and building it! Do you happen to know bow long the red 530 case is on sale? I plan to be getting this all going in approximately a months time, but if that case will go for100 maybe I'll have to get it now ( and probably just sit n stare at it for a month till I get all my hardware! )

Itsskrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
So, I just looked at the monitors... How against getting two benQs would you be? Honestly. There just so different in appreciable. IF it's not a HUGE deal.... I'd like them to match each other.... But if you can persuade me your opinions mean alot

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
Niiiiice, I had planned on the red case! I'm usually one to get two identical monitors. But you've been so much help I'm definitely going to look into your suggestion! I'll also have to check that HD you've suggested too. Gonna be an expensive build, but I'm in love with it just on paper! I know I'll love my rig and building it! Do you happen to know bow long the red 530 case is on sale? I plan to be getting this all going in approximately a months time, but if that case will go for100 maybe I'll have to get it now ( and probably just sit n stare at it for a month till I get all my hardware! )

The coupons on Amazon typically last a week or so - I know this one is brand-new, so you've got at least a few more days, but it probably won't be around until next month. I definitely hear you on matching monitors - but I do think it's always best to have the right tool for the right job. I get my work done on a Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS 60Hz monitor, but game on a 1920x1080 144Hz monitor. They are both great, but for different reasons. If you'd like the two monitors to blend in together a bit better, you have the option of the all-black Dell U2412M. It's currently a few dollars more than the newer U2414H, but it's still a great pick, and matches the BenQ monitor a bit better.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
So, I just looked at the monitors... How against getting two benQs would you be? Honestly. There just so different in appreciable. IF it's not a HUGE deal.... I'd like them to match each other.... But if you can persuade me your opinions mean alot

Just to follow-up on this, if your number one use is gaming, and you want matching monitors, then two BenQ monitors is the way to go. But also consider the all-black Dell model I mentioned above as a companion to one BenQ.