Author Topic: Troubleshooting power cycling issue  (Read 708 times)

careygister

• View Profile
Troubleshooting power cycling issue
« on: January 13, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »
I used the high-end gaming Mini Itx build as a model. I upgraded the power supply to a 750W Seasonic Platinum. At this point, I have the case, which is a Fractal Design 500, Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Wifi Pro motherboard and power supply hooked up with no CPU, Memory or peripherals. Except for the front panel hook ups, I also have the system fan hooked up.

The system powers on, the front panel LED lights up and the fan spins up. After 15-16 seconds (I timed it and it repeats at that interval), the LED goes out, the fan slows down, there is a click from the PSU then within a second the LED lights up and the fan starts at full throttle.

What should I look at and where could the problem be?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:07:33 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonic Prime Platinum 750 Power Supply Cycles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »
I used the high-end gaming Mini Itx build as a model. I upgraded the power supply to a 750W Seasonic Platinum. At this point, I have the case, which is a Fractal Design 500, Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Wifi Pro motherboard and power supply hooked up with no CPU, Memory or peripherals. Except for the front panel hook ups, I also have the system fan hooked up.

The system powers on, the front panel LED lights up and the fan spins up. After 15-16 seconds (I timed it and it repeats at that interval), the LED goes out, the fan slows down, there is a click from the PSU then within a second the LED lights up and the fan starts at full throttle.

What should I look at and where could the problem be?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, careygister!

Just to confirm, are you powering up the system without memory or a CPU? If so, the sequence you're describing is perfectly normal. The system won't boot any further without those component.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
Thank you, Ari. Nice to be here.

Yes, I boot without memory or CPU.  However, when I add memory and CPU the symptom is the same: 15-16 seconds the the power cycles. Rinse and repeat.

I know this is ahead of the game, but once I get a good boot, on which motherboard port should I look for video output?

Carey

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »
Thank you, Ari. Nice to be here.

Yes, I boot without memory or CPU.  However, when I add memory and CPU the symptom is the same: 15-16 seconds the the power cycles. Rinse and repeat.

I know this is ahead of the game, but once I get a good boot, on which motherboard port should I look for video output?

Carey

You would be using the video output on the video card, not the motherboard.

For troubleshooting purpose, please list all of the components you currently have installed in your system.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »
At present I only have the Motherboard, Case and Power supply. I'll hook up the CPU, memory and video card later and test them. I was looking for video from the motherboard's on-board video chips.

My plan was to demonstrate to myself that each component worked before attempting to integrate them all.

Carey

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
Installed Components are:

Case: Fractal Design 500
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi
Power Supply: Seasonic 750W Prime Platinum

I'll be adding:

Video Card: EVGA Geforce RTX 2080
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB
HD: Western Digital WD Velociraptor 1TB 10K RPM
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
Memory: Corsair Vengenace DDR4 3200 (2x16GB)

I had the CPU, Memory and SSD on the motherboard and the power cycled. I read somewhere to pull the CPU, memory and everything else and see if it still cycles. It does. So where am I?

Carey

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
Installed Components are:

Case: Fractal Design 500
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi
Power Supply: Seasonic 750W Prime Platinum

I'll be adding:

Video Card: EVGA Geforce RTX 2080
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB
HD: Western Digital WD Velociraptor 1TB 10K RPM
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
Memory: Corsair Vengenace DDR4 3200 (2x16GB)

I had the CPU, Memory and SSD on the motherboard and the power cycled. I read somewhere to pull the CPU, memory and everything else and see if it still cycles. It does. So where am I?

Carey

OK, Carey, now we can get into troubleshooting.

First of all, wherever you read that you should pull the CPU and RAM out and then try booting to see if the system power cycles was dispensing some pretty bad advice! That isn't going to get you anywhere!

Here are the steps you should follow:

(1) Install the CPU in the motherboard. Remember that this is the hardest part of building the system, and there is a possibility that you can damage the CPU if you are not careful when doing this. That's why I'd never recommend pulling a CPU just to troubleshoot a startup issue. Truth is that if the CPU is causing a startup issue, it's already dead.

(2) Install the CPU Cooler. You cannot run this system without a CPU cooler, even for brief testing. It will shut down due to heat.

(3) Install one stick of RAM (not both), using the slot furthest from the CPU.

(4) Connect your monitor to either the HDMI or DisplayPort output of the motherboard (DisplayPort is highly preferred if your monitor supports it and you have a cable for it).

(5) Attempt to boot the system at this point and see if you get as far as the BIOS splash screen. Remember, you system should NOT have the video card, SSD, or second stick of RAM at this point, because we are attempting to eliminate as many variables as possible. None of these components are required for a clean boot to the BIOS.

Report back what you find.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
How about that. The dog knows its masters voice. It boots. I reset the CMOS so I'll have to reconfigure it. More later, but thank you for now!

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »
Aright. It boots with 16GB but not a second 16GB Corsair stick. I swapped the second stick into the first slot to verify the stick isn't bad and it boots. That is, with either card in slot 1 it boots. With both stick in the memory slots it does not. Thoughts?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 06:29:16 PM »
The next thing to try is each stick in the other slot to see if it's a slot issue.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:33 PM »
OK. I'll try that. Since I know both sticks work in slot 1. Could it be a BIOS issue -- could I need new firmware? The base is a pain to get into so taking it apart will be unpleasant if I have to put everything together, install BIOS upgrades and then take it apart to add the memory stick!

I appreciate all of your help!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
OK. I'll try that. Since I know both sticks work in slot 1. Could it be a BIOS issue -- could I need new firmware? The base is a pain to get into so taking it apart will be unpleasant if I have to put everything together, install BIOS upgrades and then take it apart to add the memory stick!

I appreciate all of your help!

This kind of problem is not caused by the BIOS. While some motherboards couldn't actually support the RAM you bought when used in a two-stick configuration, the Gigabyte Z390 board have no problem with it.

There are only three possible culprits:

(1) one memory stick is just faulty enough that it throws the system off when combined with the other stick
(2) the motherboard has a flaw that causes dual-channel memory mode to fail. Take note that this can be caused by damage to the socket during CPU installation.
(3) the memory sticks are not fully inserted.

Leave the chassis open while you're testing it. Since you don't have a video card in at this point, getting the memory in and out shouldn't be too hard. But make extra certain that the RAM is fully inserted. You really do have to put downward pressure on it to ensure that it's fully inserted. Countless TBG readers have written it about a failure to boot only for us to determine that it was a RAM stick that wasn't fully inserted.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:02 PM »
Thanks! I have the motherboard and power supply out of the case and all cabled up. I have the Noctua CPU cooler on, so I have to remove it to get to the second memory stick. It's not too bad, but it slows the process down.

You were right in your write up about the Corsair memory -- any taller memory and it would not fit under the Noctua cooler!

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
I did the memory test. I have two sticks -- serial numbers ending in 30 and 31. With either stick in slot 1, I get a boot. With either stick in slot 2, I do not. In fact, with either stick in slot 2, the power cycles. Is that helpful?

So I either have a bad slot 2 OR a finicky memory stick. I can rule out the bad slot by buying the least expensive memory in two sticks and see if I get the same problem. What do you recommend?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
I did the memory test. I have two sticks -- serial numbers ending in 30 and 31. With either stick in slot 1, I get a boot. With either stick in slot 2, I do not. In fact, with either stick in slot 2, the power cycles. Is that helpful?

So I either have a bad slot 2 OR a finicky memory stick. I can rule out the bad slot by buying the least expensive memory in two sticks and see if I get the same problem. What do you recommend?

Thanks for circling back on your testing. Based on what you've reported, it does not appear you have bad RAM sticks. Rather, you either have a bad memory slot (slot 2), or you have damage to your CPU socket, which can cause one RAM slot not to register. Either way, it's the motherboard that needs to be replaced. Now, before you pull the whole thing apart, do me a favor and try one more time to seat just a single RAM stick in the second slot, ensuring that you've locked it in all the way in by pressing on both ends with equal force. It could just be that you have a sticky slot, and that the RAM stick is tilted up a bit when inserted without extra effort.

Assuming that does not work, remove the CPU from the motherboard and check for bent pins. They would look like this:

Do you see how the neat rows of pins are interrupted on the right side of the socket?

If you do indeed see pin damage, it could be that you caused this damage during installation. If that's the case, you may need to RMA to Gigabyte and ask for service. If you don't see anything like this, and you've made extra certain that it's not just that slot 2 is extra tight, then return it to Amazon or wherever you purchased it for a refund. Unfortunately, this Gigabyte Z390I board is not currently available at Amazon, but a good alternative is the MSI Z390I board.