Author Topic: Troubleshooting power cycling issue  (Read 2664 times)

careygister

• View Profile
Re: Seasonic Prime Platinum 750 Power Supply Cycles
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
I'll try that -- but I have a question. Will the machine boot if I have a memory stick in slot 2 and none in slot 1? My tests were done with either a stick in slot 1 or sticks in both slots.

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »
I'll try that -- but I have a question. Will the machine boot if I have a memory stick in slot 2 and none in slot 1? My tests were done with either a stick in slot 1 or sticks in both slots.

Thanks!

Yes, it should boot. You need to test that slot alone to determine the source of the problem.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 12:42:41 PM »
I just did. Neither stick boots and the power cycles. I'm going to take out the CPU and look at it.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
And yes, there are damaged pins! Oh boy.

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »
I ordered the MSI board and I will RMA the Gigabyte to Newegg.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
And yes, there are damaged pins! Oh boy.

Well, at least you've pinpointed the issue!

I've changed the title of this thread to remove the reference to the Seasonic power supply, which was not the source of the problem.

careygister

• View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting power cycling issue
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
Thanks! When the MSI board arrives tomorrow I'll give you an update. Other than the tight case and motherboard, its very quite. It should be a lot of fun. This has been a fun project. I haven't done a DIY build in many years.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
Thanks! When the MSI board arrives tomorrow I'll give you an update. Other than the tight case and motherboard, its very quite. It should be a lot of fun. This has been a fun project. I haven't done a DIY build in many years.

Glad to hear you're still having fun with this, despite the hiccups along the way!

careygister

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »
Update: I installed the MSI board and everything worked. I had some rough patches with the cabling and getting the EVGA 2080 card into the case. I don't think I'll be doing a Mini-ITX build in the future! I snapped off the clip at the back of the video card slot removing the card, but it all works anyway. Ouch. I must say though, the build is as quite as my iMac, and that is saying something.

Over the last few days I've been installing software and getting the machine up and running!

Thank you so much. This was a very thrilling project.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:11 PM »
Update: I installed the MSI board and everything worked. I had some rough patches with the cabling and getting the EVGA 2080 card into the case. I don't think I'll be doing a Mini-ITX build in the future! I snapped off the clip at the back of the video card slot removing the card, but it all works anyway. Ouch. I must say though, the build is as quite as my iMac, and that is saying something.

Over the last few days I've been installing software and getting the machine up and running!

Thank you so much. This was a very thrilling project.

So good to hear you got the system running. Hopefully this build will last you a while, and by the time you need to upgrade, you'll have forgotten all about the trouble you had and you'll go with another small form factor system!