Author Topic: RAM speed in this build  (Read 1242 times)

artis

• View Profile
RAM speed in this build
« on: December 29, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
So question on this build.  I have been looking pretty heavy at it and 1 question came up.  I'm looking to put 16 gigs of RAM into the system since the Ryzen will be using that for video RAM.

your note says that DDR4-2666 is the best to use and the fastest.  but I haven't found anything to confirm that DDR4 3000 wouldn't work.  And it is very minimal price difference. 

What are your thoughts on using the 3000 instead of 2666 RAM?

Thanks

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RAM speed in this build
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »
So question on this build.  I have been looking pretty heavy at it and 1 question came up.  I'm looking to put 16 gigs of RAM into the system since the Ryzen will be using that for video RAM.

your note says that DDR4-2666 is the best to use and the fastest.  but I haven't found anything to confirm that DDR4 3000 wouldn't work.  And it is very minimal price difference. 

What are your thoughts on using the 3000 instead of 2666 RAM?

Thanks

If you're referring to the current ITX build using the Athlon 200GE, you definitely need to stay away from 3000MHz RAM. It's almost guaranteed not to run at its rated speed, and may not boot. The 2666MHz memory is recommended for a reason - it's the fastest that AM4 motherboards are rated for.

So, here's your answer: 3000MHz won't work! In fact, 2x8GB sticks really won't work, as you'll be looking at dual-rank sticks that are even worse for use with AMD chips.

artis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry,  I should have specified that I am looking at the optional Ryzen 2400g with the inwin Chopin case.

You would still recommend just 8 gb on the 2666; even with the upgraded processor instead of the Athlon?

And if so, do you have a MB you would recommend if I wanted to move up to 16 gb?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:29:06 PM by artis »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Sorry,  I should have specified that I am looking at the optional Ryzen 2400g with the inwin Chopin case.

You would still recommend just 8 gb on the 2666; even with the upgraded processor instead of the Athlon?

And if so, do you have a MB you would recommend if I wanted to move up to 16 gb?

The choice of CPUs actually doesn't affect memory selection at all. The only thing relevant is the motherboard you choose, but it's impossible to know which ones support higher-speed memory just from specs alone. It has to do with how many layers the PCBs have, data that manufacturers don't offer.

So, a few hard-and-fast rules:

(1) the reason you and so many other TBG readers have found that DDR4-3000 is cheaper than other RAM is specifically because it doesn't work with Ryzen. With 30% of all CPUs sold today now being Ryzen, the market for DDR4-3000 RAM has collapsed in relation to other RAM speeds. The Ryzen platform simply does not have a memory multiplier for DDR4-3000, and when attempting to use such RAM in a Ryzen system, it will be read as DDR4-2933. RAM speeds that are available on Ryzen are DDR4-2133, DDR4-2666, DDR4-2933, and DDR4-3200.

(2) Any RAM over DDR4-2133 absolutely must be single-rank RAM for guaranteed compatibility with Ryzen, and only Crucial Ballistix and Kingston HyperX RAM is specifically marketed as single-rank or dual-rank. All other RAM manufacturers hide this information. On very high-end motherboards, it is possible to get DDR4-3000 dual-rank RAM to boot at DDR4-2933, but only with significant voltage, and only with two sticks.

(3) While not relevant to your proposed ITX build, even RAM that is rated for use with Ryzen in a two-stick configuration may not at its rated speed hen running four sticks of RAM with Ryzen. Dual-rank RAM of any sort is nearly impossible to keep stable even at DDR4-2666 when used in a four-stick configuration.

In any event, TBG has been publishing reviews on Ryzen processors since they were first launched in March 2017, including the Ryzen 7 1700, the Ryzen 5 2600X, the Ryzen 7 2700, and the Ryzen 7 2700X. Memory support was extremely limited with Ryzen 1000-series processors, and the only thing that has changed since then is support offered on high-end motherboards when using only two stick of memory. When using such setups, it is possible to run DDR4-3400.

If you are seriously interested in running faster RAM for performance reasons, than you'll need to look at the memory compatibility chart for the motherboard you are buying. But if you're just trying to get "a better deal" by buying cheap DDR4-3000, you will be making a mistake.

If you'd like a citation for TBG's memory testing to share with others, it's right here.

artis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Really appreciate the response.  I have been lurking around TBG for awhile, waiting for my next system and the site has been an invaluable tool for me.

So I'm still looking at that home office mini-ITX build.  Upgrading the processor to the Ryzen 5, the case to the Chopin, and adding Noctua fan (also taking the m.2 up to 500gb because it is $17 more).

Would you still recommend staying at the Ballistix 2x4 or is there benefit to going up to 2x8 ?

Thanks

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
Really appreciate the response.  I have been lurking around TBG for awhile, waiting for my next system and the site has been an invaluable tool for me.

So I'm still looking at that home office mini-ITX build.  Upgrading the processor to the Ryzen 5, the case to the Chopin, and adding Noctua fan (also taking the m.2 up to 500gb because it is $17 more).

Would you still recommend staying at the Ballistix 2x4 or is there benefit to going up to 2x8 ?

Thanks

Glad to hear the site has been so helpful, artis!

You know, the Mini-ITX build is really designed to hit a pricepoint, specifically $500. Since you're considering all these upgrades, you have clearly decided you're willing to spend more than $500, and in that case, I would absolutely recommend more than 8GB. Why? The answer is simple: it's quickly becoming the new minimum, and an ITX only has two RAM slots, so it can't be easily upgraded. If you or others in your household love to have lots of apps open at once, or even lots of browser windows, 8GB of RAM can quickly run out. Now if you're the type of person that just uses a couple of browser windows at a time, or just runs one office app at a time, it won't matter much today, but sooner or later, you'll make use of it. A year ago, RAM was nearly twice the cost, and it would never make sense in this build, but with 8GB going for $60 now, doubling up on it is a great investment.