Author Topic: CES 2019  (Read 1891 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Re: CES 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
Ari when will Samsung announce their entire lineup and reveal all the details?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »

Like last year, they were pretty firm in not even bothering to announce their 2019 TVs, other than the full like of 8K models (which are just new sizes of the 85" 8K TV launched as a 2018 mid-year model). You're not going to see anything on the 2019 TVs until March at the earliest. They didn't even have a name for the 2019 TV they demonstrated privately to me and other members of the press, although it's likely going to be some variation of Q9F.

I was sitting next to David Katzmaier of Cnet, arguably the most influential TV reviewer in the world, and he was visibly pissed off at Samsung for not answering his question regarding the HDMI spec on the new TVs. When they said they'd get back to him, he said "you've been saying that for three days." They did actually answer his question a few minutes later - specifically, he wanted to know if the 2019 QLEDs would implement 48Gbps HDMI, and the answer is yes. But imagine that it took Cnet three days of asking this question to get an answer, and you'll realize how tight-lipped Samsung is on details.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »

Like last year, they were pretty firm in not even bothering to announce their 2019 TVs, other than the full like of 8K models (which are just new sizes of the 85" 8K TV launched as a 2018 mid-year model). You're not going to see anything on the 2019 TVs until March at the earliest. They didn't even have a name for the 2019 TV they demonstrated privately to me and other members of the press, although it's likely going to be some variation of Q9F.

I was sitting next to David Katzmaier of Cnet, arguably the most influential TV reviewer in the world, and he was visibly pissed off at Samsung for not answering his question regarding the HDMI spec on the new TVs. When they said they'd get back to him, he said "you've been saying that for three days." They did actually answer his question a few minutes later - specifically, he wanted to know if the 2019 QLEDs would implement 48Gbps HDMI, and the answer is yes. But imagine that it took Cnet three days of asking this question to get an answer, and you'll realize how tight-lipped Samsung is on details.

Thanks for the response.  I know that's how they handled it last year.  I was hoping this year they'd revert back to doing it like everyone else.  Oh well.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
Last year, Samsung won the hearts and minds of enthusiasts, with breakthrough TV tech and serious gaming monitors. Maybe they thought they'd stick with a proven approach. Unfortunately, it was abundantly clear that LG crushed them at CES this year. The mass of people checking out the latest OLEDs was simply staggering, and LG also one-upped Samsung, launching its first serious gaming monitors with specs that beat Samsung, specifically G-Sync.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:22 PM »
Last year, Samsung won the hearts and minds of enthusiasts, with breakthrough TV tech and serious gaming monitors. Maybe they thought they'd stick with a proven approach. Unfortunately, it was abundantly clear that LG crushed them at CES this year. The mass of people checking out the latest OLEDs was simply staggering, and LG also one-upped Samsung, launching its first serious gaming monitors with specs that beat Samsung, specifically G-Sync.

Talking about the ultra wide 48 or whatever inch they introduced?  I just don't care for ultra wide's myself. If Samsung somehow drops the ball once they finally unveil their 2019 lineup then i MIGHT consider going the OLED route.  Idk though because most of LG's TV's to me are hideous.  I don't like their style.  But I AM buying a 2019 TV and it's wayyy more than likely to be a Samsung.  The only other TV that could convince me would be an OLED.  We'll see.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 02:40:48 PM »

Talking about the ultra wide 48 or whatever inch they introduced?  I just don't care for ultra wide's myself. If Samsung somehow drops the ball once they finally unveil their 2019 lineup then i MIGHT consider going the OLED route.  Idk though because most of LG's TV's to me are hideous.  I don't like their style.  But I AM buying a 2019 TV and it's wayyy more than likely to be a Samsung.  The only other TV that could convince me would be an OLED.  We'll see.

Take a serious look at the LG UltraGear 38". This absolutely the one to beat this year. At 3840x1600, it packs in more vertical resolution than a typical ultra-wide, while at 38", it's also far bigger. And then you add in G-Sync at 144Hz (not the typical 120Hz or 100Hz), and you realize just how ground-breaking this thing is. It's missing HDR, but otherwise it's a dream spec for a gaming monitor for use on a desktop.

As for a gaming TV, well, you have the $5,000 HP Omen X or any number of TVs that can do 4K/60Hz or 1080p/120Hz, but not 4K/120Hz due to lack of HDMI 2.1 on video cards. For future proofing, the best bet today looks like LG simply because they have been more open about supporting HDMI 2.1, which tells me they are more comfortable with the technology.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 05:01:31 PM »

Take a serious look at the LG UltraGear 38". This absolutely the one to beat this year. At 3840x1600, it packs in more vertical resolution than a typical ultra-wide, while at 38", it's also far bigger. And then you add in G-Sync at 144Hz (not the typical 120Hz or 100Hz), and you realize just how ground-breaking this thing is. It's missing HDR, but otherwise it's a dream spec for a gaming monitor for use on a desktop.

As for a gaming TV, well, you have the $5,000 HP Omen X or any number of TVs that can do 4K/60Hz or 1080p/120Hz, but not 4K/120Hz due to lack of HDMI 2.1 on video cards. For future proofing, the best bet today looks like LG simply because they have been more open about supporting HDMI 2.1, which tells me they are more comfortable with the technology.

When I speak about my next TV as it relates to gaming, I mean console gaming on my Xbox One X.  So with that said, what are the pros/cons of console gaming on an OLED vs Samsung's QLED's?  I guess all you can go on up to this point is the 2018 models.  I know this will be the first time LG will have VRR and all that in their 2019 set's.  But I've heard the response times and what not are better on OLED's I believe? 

Any who, it's good to know LG will support HDMI 2.1 regardless of what Samsung does.  So I know I have one option locked down.  I'm sure Samsung will support it too but you never know.  I just hope the 2019 LG OLED's get bright enough for me and are good for sports.  Those are the two area's (along with gaming) that are most important to me and it's why I've leaned toward Samsung's all along.  We shall see.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »

When I speak about my next TV as it relates to gaming, I mean console gaming on my Xbox One X.  So with that said, what are the pros/cons of console gaming on an OLED vs Samsung's QLED's?  I guess all you can go on up to this point is the 2018 models.  I know this will be the first time LG will have VRR and all that in their 2019 set's.  But I've heard the response times and what not are better on OLED's I believe? 

Any who, it's good to know LG will support HDMI 2.1 regardless of what Samsung does.  So I know I have one option locked down.  I'm sure Samsung will support it too but you never know.  I just hope the 2019 LG OLED's get bright enough for me and are good for sports.  Those are the two area's (along with gaming) that are most important to me and it's why I've leaned toward Samsung's all along.  We shall see.

Just wait and see what Samsung actually has in store. From seeing their prototype QLED for 2019, I can say the image quality is overall better than OLEDs. The fact is that LG introduced a rollable OLED this year because they didn't have anything else left to wring out of their OLEDs in terms of quality. If they have proper HDMI 2.1 support for 2019, it will be preferable to an OLED.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 06:40:03 PM »

Just wait and see what Samsung actually has in store. From seeing their prototype QLED for 2019, I can say the image quality is overall better than OLEDs. The fact is that LG introduced a rollable OLED this year because they didn't have anything else left to wring out of their OLEDs in terms of quality. If they have proper HDMI 2.1 support for 2019, it will be preferable to an OLED.

Thanks I'll hold tight and see what Samsung has in store.  And I agree, I remember this time last year you were sort of depressed/shocked that LG had nothing REALLY new for their 2018 OLED's as far as noticeable picture quality enhancements.  It was all about their new processor and basically it's the same thing all over again in 2019.  Kinda disappointing.  At least Samsung has been consistently pushing the boundaries of their QLED's sets in new ways pretty much on a yearly basis.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

Thanks I'll hold tight and see what Samsung has in store.  And I agree, I remember this time last year you were sort of depressed/shocked that LG had nothing REALLY new for their 2018 OLED's as far as noticeable picture quality enhancements.  It was all about their new processor and basically it's the same thing all over again in 2019.  Kinda disappointing.  At least Samsung has been consistently pushing the boundaries of their QLED's sets in new ways pretty much on a yearly basis.

Sounds like a plan. I was indeed disappointed at LG's progress last year, and I'm pretty disappointed this year in general terms, but their rollable OLED was most definitely a tour de force in terms of innovation. While the application so far is pretty niche, it's an amazing achievement.

Samsung's announcements this year were more of an evolution of last year's developments, and the biggest news, regarding HDMI 2.1, was incredibly hard to get them to talk about. One thing I specifically asked Samsung was whether they would "support the full HDMI 2.1 spec," and they said no, because the spec is too broad for their purposes. We'll see how that pans out, but it could be that they are having a bit of an issue with the HDMI consortium in terms of different priorities.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 07:36:17 PM »
Any news on new SSD's/motherboards/etc from CES that will find their way into your future builds? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Any news on new SSD's/motherboards/etc from CES that will find their way into your future builds?

In terms of SSDs, the only news came from Seagate, an unlikely place. In fact I walked right by their booth after looking at their display and thinking the SSDs were the same rebranded low end stuff they've done in the past. Turns out it had some high end PCIe specs. We'll have to see how it works before incorporating them into the guides, but 2019 is definitely the year we'll see SATA take a back seat to PCIe in the mainstream market.

One piece of news on motherboards:  AMD is already ramping up production of 500-series chipsets for Zen 2, meaning a lot of current AMD boards are becoming scarce. Not a big deal for gamers, but it does affect TBG's basic builds. And of course Zen 2 could seriously shake up the high end market when it hits this summer. We'll see.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 11:03:20 PM »

In terms of SSDs, the only news came from Seagate, an unlikely place. In fact I walked right by their booth after looking at their display and thinking the SSDs were the same rebranded low end stuff they've done in the past. Turns out it had some high end PCIe specs. We'll have to see how it works before incorporating them into the guides, but 2019 is definitely the year we'll see SATA take a back seat to PCIe in the mainstream market.

One piece of news on motherboards:  AMD is already ramping up production of 500-series chipsets for Zen 2, meaning a lot of current AMD boards are becoming scarce. Not a big deal for gamers, but it does affect TBG's basic builds. And of course Zen 2 could seriously shake up the high end market when it hits this summer. We'll see.

I just hope more PCIe's get more storage while staying semi affordable.  Because I want to get a 2tb 970 Pro and I also want what's currently out there to drop in price some.  Because if I wanted to build my system tomorrow I'd go with the 1tb 970 pro but I'd be wishing for more and have to supplant that with a SATA SSD which is fine, but not preferable. 

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »
Saw some comments made by Samsung recently in an article where they stated all their new 8K TV's that are now available for pre-order currently are equipped with HDMI 2.0 boxes but that they are planning to update (hardware or firmware) them to 2.1 in the future. 

Does that sound accurate?  Does that mean through the one connect box?  I like that LG just came out and stated they are going the full HDMI 2.1 route and shut it down.  Really looking forward to seeing what Samsung announces in their event in March.  Hopefully they come out swinging with a solid upgrade to the Q9F because I'm either going to be getting a 2019 Q8 or Q9, or the equivalent of an LG OLED.  I'm eager to learn moreeee haha.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 07:33:56 PM »
Saw some comments made by Samsung recently in an article where they stated all their new 8K TV's that are now available for pre-order currently are equipped with HDMI 2.0 boxes but that they are planning to update (hardware or firmware) them to 2.1 in the future. 

Does that sound accurate?  Does that mean through the one connect box?  I like that LG just came out and stated they are going the full HDMI 2.1 route and shut it down.  Really looking forward to seeing what Samsung announces in their event in March.  Hopefully they come out swinging with a solid upgrade to the Q9F because I'm either going to be getting a 2019 Q8 or Q9, or the equivalent of an LG OLED.  I'm eager to learn moreeee haha.

If that's how they do it, Samsung is going to be very far behind LG in terms of competitiveness. With that said, the 8K TVs are coming out before the 4K models, so it's possible the 4K models will have HDMI 2.1 built in. Be prepared, however, for all cutting-edge features going forward to roll out to 8K models first. These are going to be the premium models all manufacturers want to promote.